Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > General > Almost Anything Goes > Creative Cavern

Creative Cavern We'd love to see your artwork, read your stories, or play your games. So let your creative juices go wild. Images are enabled in this forum.

Old 18th July 2018, 11:34 AM
Alakazam Alakazam is offline 3 Highscores
Explosion Infernale

Total Awards: 15
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter RWP Note Medal Awesome Default Medal Mystery Three 
Rainbow Concepts

Bulbasaur effect - Realizing something consciously that you've always understood on a subconscious level, but never "clicked" - named after the phenomenon of realizing the origin of Bulbasaur's name ("Bulb + Dinosaur") and knowing you've always gotten it, but never "thought about it" until that moment.

Clairvantage - The act of setting a trap for somebody that specifically thinks they're too smart to fall for a "bait and switch" trap

Please feel free to post more concepts.

forget about the hit or miss, our naivety was bliss

Old 23rd July 2018, 04:29 AM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
I like the premise of this thread a bunch and I know I've got a ton of these amassed over the years, but naturally can't think of most of 'em (outside of ones too tightly tied to inside jokes).

Obi-Wan Lie
- Telling the truth about something to someone but abstracting/metaphorizing it in such a way where it convolutes the **** out of it to the point that it seems like you basically lied. Named for Obi-Wan Kenobi's clarification to Luke in ROTJ about what really happened to his father. Good for when you want to avoid truthtelling but you have an impinging guilt complex that compels you not to straight-up lie.

This one isn't mine but I relate to it more often than I'd like:

L'espirit de L'escalier ("staircase wit") - best explained in Chuck Palahniuk's "Guts":
Quote:
People in France have a phrase: "Spirit of the Stairway." In French: Esprit de l'escalier. It means that moment when you find the answer, but it's too late. Say you're at a party and someone insults you. You have to say something. So under pressure, with everybody watching, you say something lame. But the moment you leave the party…

As you start down the stairway, then -- magic. You come up with the perfect thing you should've said. The perfect crippling put-down.

That's the Spirit of the Stairway.

Last edited by pastiche; 23rd July 2018 at 04:35 AM.

Old 2nd August 2018, 04:50 PM
Brash Breegull

You're Appreciated! 
Heaven/Hell Paradox - "If Hell is bad and Heaven is good, then why does Hell look so much cooler than Heaven?" (i.e. Hell looks "badass", Heaven looks "gaaaaaay")
A question talked about amidst my friends and me in elementary school, none of this should really come off as strikingly novel at all but I think it addresses a bigger concept about the subjectivity of tastes that feels oft-ignored: how the adherence to literal imagery/symbolism instead of just the essences/ideas that they're supposed to represent can cause a confusing deadlock for some people.

Spoiler: (highlight to view)
Maybe harps and angel wings and cherubs with cloud underwear aren't going to feel like the nicest and most paradisical thing to everybody

Maybe smiling happy sunshine, Instagram selfies on sailboats, and wearing brightly-colored clothing isn't the inherent opposite of depression, and the optimal type of lifestyle to be aspiring to

and vice-versa in any given scenario

meanwhile, embedded implication, hegemony, criticism/judgment tends to guilt-push things into feeling that way, blah blah blah, yakeity-smackity, etc

Last edited by pastiche; 2nd August 2018 at 05:07 PM.

Old 3rd August 2018, 08:48 AM
Explosion Infernale

You're Appreciated! Thread Starter RWP Note Medal Awesome Default Medal Mystery Three 
oh shit, i really like that one

i didn't see your other post until now, the obi-wan lie is definitely a staple of my repertoire

Old 3rd August 2018, 10:33 PM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 3
RWP Donator RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
I met my best friend Will in 4th grade and we remained friends up until about the time we were 24-25 or so, just fell out of contact. We'll text every now and then about how we should start a podcast, but that's irrelevant.

When we were in high school, we noticed that, either one of us was in a relationship when the other wasn't. It happened often, without fail. If there was any sort of overlap of both of us being in a romantic relationship, it would not take long for one of them to give way. This lead to us calling the phenomenon "The Equilibrium". It held true for a very long time, and he's had a serious girlfriend for years now, on which I blame my lack of my own aforementioned girl friend. Then I started applying this "equilibrium" concept to other things. I realize it's not quite in line with the actual definition of the word but we were yung and dumb when we invented it so, it has to remain.

It explains some of why I find certain numbers pleasing to think about, why I feel a need for positive and negative things to be in equal amounts in most contexts, etc. This makes sense as I've possible been living with untreated OCD for years (pending mental health professional referral).

Last Sunday I spent like 5-6 hours listening to Gene Ray talk about Time Cube. Then, the other day I realized that this concept of "Equilibrium" is actually parallel to one of the tenets of Time Cube: two equal but opposite things will cancel each other out.

Old 10th August 2018, 02:37 PM
Most Creative Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 8
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Reminiscence Rarity 
Is there a word or phrase for the concept of sound like a language you don't understand? Like you never learned it or speak it, but when you hear someone else speak it, you can tell it's Portuguese or Japanese, etc.

Alternatively, the idea of you can sound like you're speaking another language if you string together syllables the right way; like how an Italian singer made a gibberish song that sounds vaguely English.

Old 11th August 2018, 10:43 PM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 3
RWP Donator RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
Connect the Dots (or, Fill in the Blank)

Some amount of time ago, I made a one-off tweet that went something like, "Yahweh Balls !: Part VII: The Eternal Kegel".

Since then I've started coming up with other installments in the Yahweh Balls ! franchise. So far, numbers one, seven and eight are spoken for. Most in title only: number one is the only one so far to have any content in the works.

But this led me to a concept: if you start a project or whatever with a numbering scheme at a number other than one, or some other thing whose chronology is not the start of the narrative, your brain wants to fill the rest in. So it kind of forces you to come up with the rest of the story. So by starting at seven, I planted this void in my mind, "what are parts one through six??" And I'm just now starting to explore what that might be.

(IMO the original star wars was probably like this but george lucas has changed his story so many times, no one can trust him.)

Old 29th August 2018, 10:21 PM
Explosion Infernale

that always reminds me of xenogears when i come back to this thread, neen

also,

Kimmy Eckman Syndrome:
Being an offensive-oriented "glass cannon" type, having an above-average offense that feels a lot larger than it is due to the stat discrepancy

Example:
the 2018-19 Wolverhampton Wanderers FC
or like, a seaking or something

named after my favorite Backyard Sports character, Kimmy Eckman

Old 28th September 2018, 10:48 AM
Explosion Infernale

i don't really know exactly how to explain this concept, but there's an extremely rare kind of human being that glows in this sense of having like, a significant aura and gravitational pull

you'll be around them, watching them, and the way they exist just feels impossibly perfect
it's the most alluring thing and you can't explain it

i've only felt this way about a couple people i've met in person, but the most powerful one was the lead singer from the band good personalities, emi. watching her smoke cigarettes out of her garfield backpack, sitting in the shade from the hot summer sun, it was like she lived in perpetual flowstate. i just kept thinking how much she felt like a genuine rock superstar, wayyyyy moreso than the guy from hawthorne heights who had played the same show a year before

i got this same feeling from almost every person from my old internet community that i met in real life, and i could probably think of a few other people i've felt it from too, but emi was the most powerful one by far. therefore, i guess this concept is called The Emi Effect

Old 18th October 2018, 04:24 PM
Brash Breegull

You're Appreciated! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazam View Post
i got this same feeling from almost every person from my old internet community that i met in real life
I can vouch for this also with like almost every "internet person" I've met irl. I've had many different drafts of explanation for why and what the phenomena might involve, which I may elaborate on in a later post

Two events come to mind specifically:
  • In a gas station convenience store with two internet friends looking at ourselves in the mirror, then looking back at the other people in the place, and then looking back into the mirror and saying, "We look like we're characters from something"
    the way I'd described it kinda seemingly facilitates the now-unfortunately-popular concept of "NPC" as a "normie slur" for people-comparing
  • Being in a group of about 8-10 people from an internet forum hanging around Brooklyn, and despite being surrounded by all types of arthouse hipsters and outlandish fashions, we all distinctly felt how we still seemed "weirder" than everyone else. Not in a literal appearance sense necessarily, just like some palpable but hard-to-place je ne sais quoi, some "vibe"

Last edited by pastiche; 19th October 2018 at 02:02 AM.

Old 19th October 2018, 04:59 AM
Explosion Infernale

do you think the internet shapes us into this, or does it just help us all find each other? or maybe a bit of both?

because like, going back to good personalities - i don't know either of them personally, but both emi and her brother/drummer were like this, and they're both obviously "internet people" too. (sure as shit ain't any anime shoegaze coming outta toledo otherwise)

and meeting cyghfer this year, funnily enough in a truck stop convenience store, i got that feeling of him "being a character" very strongly, so that immediately resonates. it was like encountering a real-life suda51 protagonist who really liked goof troop for snes

Old 2nd November 2018, 02:19 PM
Explosion Infernale

dunno what to call this concept either (Tetris Effect II?)

within the last few years, it feels like people are pushing new forms of competition to new heights, especially in video games

i've thought about this a lot with melee lately, and arcade donkey kong, and speedrunning accomplishments, but today i saw this video in my feed:

people are getting extremely good at things from each other, and creating new modifications or software to help each other grow, and that's really cool to me

it's nice to take away a big positive from how the internet has taken shape - at least we can always join a discord of friendly people to learn a video game trick, or find anything online by adding "reddit" to a google search

Old 29th November 2018, 03:32 AM
Brash Breegull

You're Appreciated! 
"the hippo's dream of becoming a whale"

This was a phrase I had in my Skype profile circa 2014. It was in reference to the interesting case of evolutionary similarities between hippopotamuses and whales--notably, the fact that the hippo is the closest living relative to the whale. The whale and hippo's individual evolutionary paths took them in very different directions, but their point of divergence stems from a common terrestrial ancestor.

https://evolution.berkeley.edu/evoli...le/evograms_03

My use of this phrase is about seeing something/someone that is much more majestic, successful, better-recognized, etc than you, someone that seems to be living a life that is enviably better than yours, and yet, (especially after spending so much time poring over the details about someone) noticing distinct similarities in the places that you both came from, or similiarities in many aspects about yourselves, enough where it feels like you could potentially be in their position, amongst them--maybe just if certain circumstances had been different. The idea that the hippo wants to become like the whale, but it seems like in order to do so, it'd have to trace itself backwards to the place that they both came from, and "re-evolve" in a different direction. To keep the "good" similarities but just change the things that didn't work. Would it be impossible? Would it be "inauthentic"? It asks the question of what potential a person really has to be able to change themselves in such a way, and what kind of (perhaps nature-defying) effort it would require.

Old 9th January 2019, 02:42 PM
Explosion Infernale

(i know this name is unoriginal, but)

"non-aesthetic";
things that exist in a digital plane and are appealing or fascinating because of how unique they are, despite being unpleasant and having no surface appeal, and also seem to fall into a "pit of infinity" - ie, your ocd-sensors will never be fully satiated by your obsession, and there's no real "endgame" or solvable equation at all - they are things that cannot be fully understood

examples:

chris-chan, old yugioh video games, weird deviantart fetishes, bollywood movie wikipedia pages, 00s youtube anime culture (windows movie maker and the like), 00s brazillian dragonball gt fanbase, the phillips cd-i

Old 2nd May 2019, 01:34 AM
Brash Breegull

You're Appreciated! 
I don't have a slick name for this atm but

"preferring to stay behind the glass / "letting the dreams never come true because it works better for you that way"

This can be applied to a lot of things related to the idea of "actualizing" something you dream of, long for, wish to visit, or wish to be, etc.

When it's "on the other side of the screen" or still "in the dream world," the vicarious experience of the unactualized thing feels maybe even better than the actualization of it would be if it became your normalized reality. But also, there's a sense of hope attached to it: just by the nature of the dream existing, it gives you a place to tuck your head to help you keep going.

Because when you finally "get there," there may not be another "other world" to aspire towards afterwards. Or even worse, you may then change your feeling to aspire towards what you used to have instead (a "grass is always greener" effect), making you feel like doing this wasn't really what you wanted, or at worst maybe even feeling like a mistake.

So sometimes, at least to me, it feels like it's better to keep things "on the other side of the window." This sounds like it's an encouragement of negativity, but this comes in part after thinking about how much the idea of "achieveing your dreams" and "being creative" has become like a kind of factory-scale ideology nowadays on the internet, to the point where the concept has felt like it's become so watered-down that it feels more like social pressure to ACHIEVE-SUCCEED-WIN, lost in the noise of buzzwords rather than being able to be in touch with whatever nuanced and personal images and worlds live deep inside your own head. And amidst all that, the "process" of this actualization feels like it's no longer really "yours" anymore, so to keep it from ever crossing the threshold of "the window" is a way for it to keep it meaningful for yourself--at least maybe until circumstances change for you, or it finds a way through some alternate outlet
(through some Ian Malcolm-esque series of unanticipated circumstances, maybe. And if that kind of thing happens, then I think that just might be pretty swell, because at least it did so in a way that wasn't so conscious and deliberate as to have felt relatably watered-down by the aforementioned "process." To keep those mechanical parts of your brain staring at the window while the more secretive and less identifiable/rational parts of your brain carry out those plans that you never realized you even wanted to happen.)

Spoiler:
I thought of this today while at work after staring at the cover art to Secret of Mana for several minutes
and felt like I pulled myself out of a depressive funk when I went and wrote it all down
if that adds some extra understanding of where the ideas came from
Are you really sure? Yes, I'm sure Clicking this link will show a major spoiler. Don't do it if you don't want to know! Show Me!

Last edited by pastiche; 2nd May 2019 at 02:21 PM.

User Tag List