Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop

Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop SNS? Bottle's Revenge? Share your thoughts on the mysteries of the Banjo series and discuss the new Stop 'n' Swop features in Nuts and Bolts and the XBLA games

Old 5th May 2009, 02:46 AM
Glowbo

Why I'm OK With SnS XBLA

Please note that I am making this thread to share my most logical conclusion possible from the knowledge available, and also to try to make people stop complaining about SnS being poorly done in BT XBLA by explaining what I believe to be the reason behind how it was implimented, and that it was actually done correctly.

First, the obvious, I just want to get this out of the way. Yes, DK64 was in development at the same time as BK so yes the ice key was used between the games as a testing ground and nothing more.

The 100% ending cutscene in BK shows off ony two eggs, and the key. This does not mean there was only meant to be two used, I believe the videos shown are simply an introdutory teaser to the feature.

Due to RWP knowledge, and the infamous GBTG board, I believe that there was indeed supposed to be four eggs used in SnS. This is also backed up by the fact that in BK there are only four eggs that are actually hidden.

The strangely out in the open ones (loggo and captain's quarters) are the ones I believe were put in to fool hackers. I count the Nabnuts one as real because the window is breakable and the room in enterable in winter, but there is nothing to do there but collect the egg, if I recall correctly.

With this in mind, and the fact that original SnS was supposedly implimented in BT64, sans the Swopping, it makes perfect sence that BT64 had only 3 eggs and the key. Why do I say this? Simple. If you can create and impliment such a great idea as SnS to link your games together, why would you not want to do it again?

That said, I believe the fourth egg was always meant to unlock SnS II but was taken out of BT64 due to the feature being impossible to impliment the first time, so it obviously couldn't be done a second time. Sure, I think original SnS II was meant to have 6 eggs and a key as well (hence why there is 7 items in it) but due to the fact that they had to put the feature in a remake of the game, rather than the original, it made more sence to only fit in the 3 eggs because there was already spots for them, and they wanted to keep it as true a port as possible.

I don't believe the two extra eggs were ever meant to be used in SnS but they are so well known at this point that Rare included them in the XBLA ports as a bonus for fans, providing them with a free gamerpic and a free theme.

Yes, like most of you, I am disappointed there wasnt devil bottles (even though the code for it is supposedly still in the XBLA one), or flume of doom (as the billboard in ToT suggested), or some other crazy thing, but when Rare said original SnS would be in the XBLA ports, I don't think they were lying, I believe they did it to the best of their abilities with what they had to work with. I hope some of you agree with this, and just move on in hopes that SnS II unlocks something wonderful in the future, something supposedly way cooler than dragon kazooie.

Last edited by Farnic; 7th May 2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: minor fix

Old 5th May 2009, 01:36 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnic View Post
First, the obvious, I just want to get this out of the way. Yes, DK64 was in development at the same time as BK so yes the ice key was used between the games as a testing ground and nothing more. End of story.
You know this how?

Old 5th May 2009, 01:50 PM
Formerly JDTurnbull272

RWP Donator 
Quote:
Originally Posted by J@mie View Post
You know this how?
It's possible he may have read that thread I posted a few weeks ago about DK64 and SnS possibly not being what everyone thought it was...
But he may have thought it up on his own, though...

Old 5th May 2009, 02:37 PM
Glowbo

Now, I did state a the beginning that this is simply the most logical conclusion I could come up with, nothing is truely fact, however it only makes sence that it was just testing ground to me. Just because there was pictures of the other game in each and a DK doll doesn't mean the games were connected, Rare has tons of pictures from their other titles in their games.

Last edited by Farnic; 5th May 2009 at 02:41 PM.

Old 5th May 2009, 06:45 PM
Glowbo

please delete this, admin

Last edited by Farnic; 6th May 2009 at 08:41 AM.

Old 5th May 2009, 10:26 PM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnic
First, the obvious, I just want to get this out of the way. Yes, DK64 was in development at the same time as BK so yes the ice key was used between the games as a testing ground and nothing more. End of story
I believe it was the original plan to have BK swap with DK64 before Tooie was planned as a sequel. There's an example in Rare's "sns patent" that explains how BK(obviously) and a second game (most likely DK64 given the fact that it mentions a lever the player needs to pull.).

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6820265.html

Quote:
For example, while playing the first video game, a player may reach a certain stage in the first video game where the player recognizes a common feature from a second video game (which the player has obviously played before). As an example, the player may come across a “Huge Blocked Icy Cave” in which there is a key-shaped hole. Unfortunately, the player can find no way or key to enter the Huge Blocked Icy Cave of the first video game. At the side of the Huge Blocked Icy Cave is a lever. The player pulls the lever and a “cut-cam” shows a section from the second video game(Banjo-Kazooie) stored on a second game cartridge.
Seems like they're describing a BK - DK64 connection here. Given that Tooie doesn't contain a move for pulling a lever and DK64 does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnic
Just because there was pictures of the other game in each and a DK doll doesn't mean the games were connected, Rare has tons of pictures from their other titles in their games.
That's not the reason people came to the conclusion that there was a connection between DK64 and BK. It's the FACT that there's the ice-key text in DK64, and it seems to function differently from the other items in the totals menu.

Old 6th May 2009, 06:16 AM
Formerly JDTurnbull272

RWP Donator 
Pretty much hammered the nail on the head there, Rune...

Old 6th May 2009, 06:41 AM
Grunty's Reject

INFECTED - B1K1 
My reply here has been deleted for some reason.

Anyway I was basically saying SnS didn't mean much to me and any add-on is a prize to strengthen a great game. I said I would be delighted with a polar bear Banjo or a new world but it will probably never happen and so I am equally happy with a gamerpic and a theme etc.

(Mandy, why did you delete this...?)

Old 6th May 2009, 08:40 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by runehero123 View Post
I believe it was the original plan to have BK swap with DK64 before Tooie was planned as a sequel. There's an example in Rare's "sns patent" that explains how BK(obviously) and a second game (most likely DK64 given the fact that it mentions a lever the player needs to pull.).

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6820265.html
Thank you, finally some real input. I was unaware of this patent, and appreciate it being brought to my attention. This is why I posted what I thought, it makes the most sence to me, and I actually want my theory to be proven wrong with logic.

Old 6th May 2009, 09:29 AM
Formerly JDTurnbull272

RWP Donator 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Laurence View Post

Anyway I was basically saying SnS didn't mean much to me and any add-on is a prize to strengthen a great game. I said I would be delighted with a polar bear Banjo or a new world but it will probably never happen and so I am equally happy with a gamerpic and a theme etc.

I think it got deleted when that mass argument went on a bit earlier...

Old 6th May 2009, 03:08 PM
is safe

Total Awards: 5
SteamLink Verified INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal Thread Starter RWP Bash Day 7 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Laurence View Post

I deleted this

Quote:
I don't care what you think about Stop 'N' Swop, in fact I'm tired of hearing about the bloody thing.

Do us all a favour and shut up about it..
To be honest you were lucky not to get an infraction, but w/e

Old 6th May 2009, 04:14 PM
Grunty's Reject

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
I deleted this

To be honest you were lucky not to get an infraction, but w/e
I'm not arguing, but you also deleted my nice theory post as well