Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 27th November 2011, 08:08 AM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
The Crystal Jiggy: Need experienced help

Hey guys,

Last month a group of us decided to get together and start up the Crystal Jiggy project again. Now I know that last time around, we had no direction and no one who was skilled enough to make the game a reality. So everyones view on the project is probably more on the negative side. I can't blame you, because at the time It was basically a bunch of kids throwing around ideas. However, it's completely different now. Within the past month (and we only started a month ago, mind you) we have gotten more work done than we ever had in a full year and a half. We've already decided on our engine, started planning our first world (which is planned to serve as the demo world when the time comes), writing script, designing characters, etc. So far we have acquired the following people:
  • 5 Concept Artists
  • 4 Script Writers
  • 3 Skilled Programmers - (including ElectricKaz) Currently learning Unity 3D; will be coding in C#
  • 2 Modelers
  • 1 Level Designer
  • 1 Musician (myself)
  • 1 Texture Artist

Here is a couple things we've already done:
So as you can see, we've gotten off to a pretty good start. Work is pretty constant with things getting done on an almost daily basis whether it's new maps, a new character design or progress from one of our programmers. The only problem is that we're short on the amount of modelers and animators needed. We really need people who can provide us with high quality/higher poly models and animations to help make this game a reality. We may also need more in the future programmers, but as of now we have a good number of them. With the right people working, this could really turn into an amazing finished product. What we're trying to achieve is not impossible. If you're interested or know of someone who may be, go ahead and leave a comment here or shoot me a message. Thank you for taking the time to read through this thread.

Note: We will not be accepting anymore concept artists or script writers.

Last edited by B-Kpianist; 27th November 2011 at 08:17 AM.

Old 27th November 2011, 09:52 PM
Von Kriplespac

INFECTED - B1K1 
No one?

Old 28th November 2011, 12:17 AM
Mr. Pants

Truly sorry, B-KP. I would really love to work on this with you, as i'm experienced in programming and script writing, but i've got a project of my own. Some advice, divide your work. Don't just work on several different little things like level designs and character models all at once, work on one thing at a time. Like, work on the script first, then maybe draw up character/enemy/NPC designs, then model and animate said characters, then work on programming a game engine... so on. Working haphazardly often leads to failure. Good luck in your endeavors, and I hope this game arrives at completion sometime in the future.

Old 28th November 2011, 02:16 AM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
I'm into it. A few days ago I was thinking, like, what other levels could a new banjo kazooie have. Your "honey level" seems odd at first but I got used to it quickly. This seems well thought out and a great starting level overall. I very much like the layout of it too. As for the dolphin, we have one! And it's (he?) so nicely usable, I would love seeing Snorkel on this course or a later on level. Your jiggy looks pretty, though I might suggest making the inner circles a bit smaller. I think your bringing the bee transformation back? Maybe give it an addition like tooie did. I like you bringing Mumbo tokens back, please make them harder to find or the toll for them higher, much too easy in the fist game. Dunno how your music is going but I thought a remix of Honey B.'s hive would sound okay here. Will you maybe bring the Zubbas back? Although it might be better to leave them out, and how would you explain them moving again?
Now, I dunno anything about this project except from this forum. I dunno about a position, but I'd like to help with ideas. I'm certainly going to think up some of a level regardless since I'm all inspired now....In any case I'd like to actually know what you're all up to, and even, what this project actually is. And I sort of want to be in-the-know on this. Your story, plans, ect. Fill me in. Also Galactic Mario's advice seems good, and have you asked B-K pianist if (he/she/it) would like to work on your music? I, sort of, know he's good with banjo kazooie music, or has some record of it at least. Where could I contact you if I got an idea I might want to share, and would it be welcome?

Last edited by qwertykins76; 28th November 2011 at 02:45 AM.

Old 28th November 2011, 02:29 AM
Von Kriplespac

INFECTED - B1K1 
What we're trying to do is take it stage at a time. Everything shown in the first post is from our opening world. I'm not allowing any type of disorganization this time. We've already divided up teams - script, programming, modeling, etc. So everything is pretty organized, we just need more people.

Best of luck on your project, as well

Old 28th November 2011, 02:54 AM
Fired

You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
So is that a, "no qwertyo you can't come, and B-K pianist is already on the project."
Wait, B-K you say "we," and "our" but then you say "your project."
EDIT: I did not realize it was B-K pianist who started this forum, my bad....And your talking to Galactic Mario, got it. The lesson: Know the person your speaking to. Still, I wanna know what you guys have thought up already, or is it secret? Did you mean that any ideas from outsiders would be frowned upon? Good luck anyway if so. How many levels have you actually got some ideas of?

Last edited by qwertykins76; 28th November 2011 at 03:19 AM.

Old 28th November 2011, 03:36 AM
Von Kriplespac

INFECTED - B1K1 
Yeah I was about to say "I think you're confused". Haha, no worries. We're keeping almost everything under wraps unless you invited to be on the team. While I like how enthusiastic you are about it, I'm afraid I can't have you on the team. The problem we had before was that too many people were just throwing around ideas. Things got disorganized and work never actually got done. We have so many ideas on the game - we've got most of the game already thought of. The next part is organizing and actually making the game come to life. Which is why we need modelers and animators.

It's actually surprising how hard it's been to find modelers. I thought that finding programmers would be harder, but they seemed to kind of just come to us. Which is great! Because they're one of the projects biggest assets; we're just short on the other half.

Old 28th November 2011, 11:37 PM
Mr. Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Kpianist View Post
What we're trying to do is take it stage at a time. Everything shown in the first post is from our opening world. I'm not allowing any type of disorganization this time. We've already divided up teams - script, programming, modeling, etc. So everything is pretty organized, we just need more people.

Best of luck on your project, as well
Sounds good! Y'all have my support.

And thanks.

Old 30th November 2011, 05:00 AM
Von Kriplespac

INFECTED - B1K1 
Thanks, man.

Alright, so I think we may have a complete modeling team now. We're just going to need people who can animate. Any takers?

Old 4th December 2011, 09:38 AM
Clanker

RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 7 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Hey B-Kpianist! I remember I helped you along time ago when this project was still starting. Good to see you didn't abandon it. I don't know how to model or animate unfortunately, but best of luck with this! Can't wait to see how the game turns out.

Old 5th December 2011, 10:48 PM
Von Kriplespac

INFECTED - B1K1 
Thank You!

We're in need of those who can rig/animate. Any takers? Here are some characters that are in the works and will need rigging soon:

Honey B:
WIP

Blue the Sleepy Bear
WIP

I'm asking so that I can take some weight off of our modelers. If you can help us, please do. Thank You in advance!

Last edited by B-Kpianist; 6th December 2011 at 08:36 AM.

Old 9th December 2011, 05:50 AM
Dingpot

Sounds like an interesting project.

I have programmed before but not in C#, so probably can't help there.

The only thing I can offer is really music, but you seem to have that covered. If you do want extra help in that department though, I might be able to lend a hand.

Best of luck!

Old 15th December 2011, 07:45 AM
Von Kriplespac

INFECTED - B1K1 
Thank You! Welp, I guess I'll update both threads

UPDATE

Characters in the works:
  1. Banjo: Photo temporarily NA
  2. Honey B: [1] [2] [3]
  3. Blue the Bear:[1] [2]
  4. Mumbo: Very early work

Video:
  • First Crystal Jiggy Video: Lerpz 3D
  • Progress from our programmer ElectricKaz, who is learning to work with Unity. This is an alpha test using the models that were currently available to the programmers; to create a skeleton that the later TCJ game will use. "will update once the programmers have a Banjo or other iconic character model in working condition"

Other:
  1. Musical Note (Design I)
  2. Musical Note (Design II)
  3. Spiral Mountain (Theme)

Things are looking great, guys. Dialogue is being written for characters in our first world. Spiral Mountain and our opening world will start being built soon as well. I believe Spiral Mountain will be serving as a test world; I'll need to talk to the team about that. Thoughts?

We still need people who can help animate/rig so that some weight is taken off of our modelers shoulders. Any takers?

Old 15th December 2011, 11:12 AM
Dingpot

Your Spiral Mountain arrangement is really good.

Which sample libraries are you using?

And how long as work on this project been going on? Very interested now.

Old 15th December 2011, 05:27 PM
Von Kriplespac

INFECTED - B1K1 
Thanks! I'm using Garageband with Jam Packs. The instruments in Jam Packs are from Logic.

We've been working for about 7/8 weeks; The 3D modeling (not including Mumbo which was started yesterday) were started about 3 weeks ago. There's a lot more going on behind the scenes, I can assure you.

User Tag List