Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > The Banjo Kazooie Series

The Banjo Kazooie Series General Discussion about the Banjo Kazooie series from the N64 classics to the handheld sequels & new Xbox games.

Old 16th February 2009, 03:50 PM
Favorite Departed Member ('13 - 14)

Total Awards: 3
Reminiscence RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
Rare hadn't made a Banjo platformer in eight years, if they wanted to do something new, they didn't need to use Banjo to do it.

Old 16th February 2009, 03:57 PM
Dingpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfred View Post
The demo is actually better than the full game.
bingo

Old 16th February 2009, 04:44 PM
Dingpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjo View Post
Rare hadn't made a Banjo platformer in eight years, if they wanted to do something new, they didn't need to use Banjo to do it.

True.

And I'm not against innovation btw. I LOVE Viva Piñata. It's a wonderful game. I'm looking forward to whatever new ideas Rare can come up with for both it, and whatever new IPs they invent in the future.

But Banjo is a franchise I felt I could depend on for a good quality platformer. I understand how the game team feels about innovation and stuff, but it's blindingly obvious both from Gregg's attitude during his interview and Rare's general stance that part of the reason it didn't go ahead as a platformer was because they didn't think it would sell.

Well if a platformer wouldn't sell, what on Earth made them think a colorful Lego-vehicle-racer-platformer thing would sell any better? Not trying to be mean, but c'mon...

N&B has a "Star Fox Adventures" feel about it, an IP thrown into a game that doesn't suit it one bit. Both have their charming moments, and moments of excellent gameplay, both have gorgeous graphics and music, but neither of them feel right as a Star Fox/Banjo game.

Last edited by Shiner; 16th February 2009 at 05:07 PM.

Old 16th February 2009, 05:00 PM
Dingpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjo View Post
What Rare and many other game companies fail to understand is that no EVERY game has to be about innovation and gameplay change. A game can still retain the same gameplay as its predecessors and be new, fresh, and good.
Exactly, and tremendously successful games like Metal Gear Solid 4, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Halo 3 or The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess are the perfect example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjoesusxx View Post
Companies aren't robots, they are run by real people and if these people are passionate about innovation and new directions, then doing something they've done several times before has no charm to them and will leave you with a real sub-par product, something the team just didn't have it's heart set on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmXJeheIugU

Old 17th February 2009, 12:18 AM

Look at it like this: You're really in the mood for some pie. You haven't had pie in so long, you can hardly contain your lust for the flaky pie goodness. Then, your grandmother tells you she's going to bake you a pie, and shows you all the un-prepared ingredients. You get excited, you can't wait to endulge upon it. You wait in the living room, oblivious to what kind of pie your grandmother is making you. But you can't wait to find out. Your grandmother comes in and says "Your pie is almost ready!" your face lights up with glee. "But" says your grandmother, "There is a twist to the pie". You give her a confused look. "It's still a pie, and I just know you're going to love it! But it's a different kind of pie."

She opens the oven and shows you. Hmm, looks like a pie. It's got crust, it's in a tin, everything that's supposed to be there is there. But it smells odd. "What's that smell?" you ask your Grandmother. "Why it's the eggs dear!" says your grandmother. "...what?" you respond. "The eggs! I've been baking fruit and meat pies all my life, I decided to spice things up and make something different. An egg pie!" You give her a blank stare. "Ohh don't worry dear, it's still a pie! It's just a little different. I'm sure you'll love it!" You reluctantly say "...alright, I guess I'll try it."

A little while passes and your grandmother brings the pie to the table. A little less excited now, you're still hungry, and hope the pie will be good. Your uncle and your cousins come to the table, and your grandmother begins to slice the pie and give it to everyone. You stare at your slice. It's a pie on the outside...but on the inside it's an omlette...You prod at it with your fork. It's got crust, it's warm, it's got filling, but it's not the filling you expected. You cut off a piece and take a bite. Hey, it's not that bad. You take some more. Nah, this is actually pretty good. Yeah, this is an okay pie! You're beginning to like it. You finish the pie, for some reason you are unsatisfied. But your uncle grins and asks for another slice. Your cousins seem blurry, and confused. They like it, but they would rather have a normal pie.

You begin to realize that you still crave a fruit pie. You wish your grandmother would've made you one in the first place. Then you get food poisoning and chronic diarrhea. On your death bed, you say to your Grandmother "please, just make me a one of your world famous regular pies", but she responds "I'm bored of making regular pies, I think I might make egg pies from now on. Your uncle seems to like them." You say "but I'm on my death bed! Surely you could make me one more apple pie, or blueberry pie, please!" Your grandmother looks at you and says "I might, I'm not ruling it out. I'm just really happy with the pies I make right now." Then you crap your pants, puke, and choke to death on your own vomit.

That's how I feel with Nuts and Bolts.

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts gave me chronic diarrhea.

EDIT: OH, AND THE PIE IS ALSO BAKED SQUARE INSTEAD OF ROUND. I HATE YOU RARE, I HATE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW. WRITING THIS POST MADE ME DEPRESSED ;_;

Last edited by Tanjo; 17th February 2009 at 12:32 AM.

Old 17th February 2009, 02:08 AM
Dingpot

An award winning analogy Tanjo!

Although you may have just slightly over-done it at the end. But wow, you really managed to get the essence of what it's like to play the game in a nutshell.

At first you don't like it, then you try it and it's not so bad, and then you begin to pine for what's familiar.

Old 17th February 2009, 02:10 AM
Humba Wumba

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
The fact that the demo WAS more enjoyable than the actual game made me a little depressed.

Old 17th February 2009, 04:08 AM
Jinjo

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The banjonater View Post
The fact that the demo WAS more enjoyable than the actual game made me a little depressed.
I don't recall that ever being the case.

Old 17th February 2009, 09:30 AM
Glowbo

If you hate Rare so much, what are you doing on a Rare forum? It doesn't even sound like you're willing to give them a second chance, whatever they decide to do with the Banjo series.

Old 17th February 2009, 11:04 AM
Bajr

Total Awards: 4
You're Appreciated! RWP Donator RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsWinWithTim View Post
If you hate Rare so much, what are you doing on a Rare forum?
We have some members who've never played a Rare game ever. I'm a huge fan of Rare, but this is an online community and we have to embrace everyone.

Old 17th February 2009, 02:13 PM
Brash Breegull

INFECTED - B1K1 
well if im honest, it was a disapointment for a BANJO game but if it had been called something completly different and had a different cast i would absolutely love it! Its the fact Banjo has high expectations which let me down not the game!!!!! banjos a platformer!!! dont mess with the genre!! what also dissapointed me was the fact it may of been called banjo: N&B as kazooie did prety much nothing!! i mean the graphics were good but dissapointed me as when i saws spiral mouintaqin i thought it looked TOO realistic and thought why RARE? why? i mean the game was fun but very quirky! The level designs felt as if they had been made in a few seconds!! overall it was a fun game but had room for improvement and should not of used the name banjo!!!

Old 17th February 2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsWinWithTim View Post
If you hate Rare so much, what are you doing on a Rare forum? It doesn't even sound like you're willing to give them a second chance, whatever they decide to do with the Banjo series.
Clearly you can't comprehend sarcasm on the internet. Which, of course, would be understandable if it wasn't blatantly obvious that the statement was satirical.

Old 17th February 2009, 07:34 PM
Most Improved Member ('08 - '09)

INFECTED - B1K1 
Tanjo, great posts. Couldn't agree more.

Old 17th February 2009, 09:40 PM
Brash Breegull

INFECTED - B1K1 
Tanjo wins this thread.

Old 17th February 2009, 09:53 PM

Amongst other things, such as life and attractive female companionship.

User Tag List