Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 2nd October 2020, 06:48 PM
a banana peel

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! RWP Podcast Rarity Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
Sea Of Thieves Streamers Quit The Game In Protest Against Rare’s Response To Toxicity

https://kotaku.com/sea-of-thieves-st...ain-1845238513

Quote:
“I have screenshots of [people] saying everything from, ‘Give me your OnlyFans’, ‘Get Raped’, and, ‘Are you typing with your little stub’.” says Rocco’s puppeteer, who requested anonymity out of concerns about harassment. “You’ve then done the span of [threatening] sexual abuse all the way to making fun of disabilities. It’s interesting to see them do the mental gymnastics of being like, ‘No, this game was built on toxicity, this game was built on telling people to ‘Get raped’.’ It’s like no, it wasn’t, but Rare never told you otherwise.”

To address this situation, Rocco’s creators initially tried to handle things privately, contacting both Rare and Pace22 over email to talk about these accounts. Dissatisfied with how their conversations with Rare were going, and frustrated by Pace22’s lack of response, the couple eventually broke character on stream, acknowledging the issues that they had been having publicly.

In response to this, Pace22 vehemently denied any responsibility for the abuse and demanded a public apology from Rocco’s creators in the Official Partner Discord for, “Dragging my community and myself though the mud on her stream.” In the logs we’ve seen from the Partner Discord, a Rare community manager stepped in on multiple occasions, but not with any intention of speaking to the two partners and trying to resolve their differences, instead telling them to take the argument to the DMs. This interaction has since drawn criticism.
Yikes at Rare's response to this... They've mostly waffled around saying things like "that's against our community guidelines," but have refused to protect their community because the involved streamer gets a lot of views.

Old 2nd October 2020, 10:56 PM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
I'm honestly not surprised, though. It seems most companies don't know how to deal with toxicity when they make a popular game anymore *cough* Blizzard *cough*.

I haven't played much SoT, but literally the last time I went on to see what they've changed in over a year, I was instantly jailed, and the people were screaming over the mic calling me ***got and that I should die. Completely random game I apparently joined into, without having said anything yet. Fun game. Haven't picked it up in months because of that negative experience.

I doubt they'll take a stronger stance until the community pressures them and they start losing popularity among the fans, enough so that the player count starts drastically dropping. From my personal experiences with Blizzard, I don't really have any faith in any company running a massive multiplayer game to make positive changes.

Old 3rd October 2020, 09:22 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
sea of thieves aiming to become most profanity-laden rare game since conker's bad fur day

User Tag List