Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 10th June 2024, 05:09 PM
Mr. Airplane Mr. Airplane is offline he/they
a banana peel

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! RWP Podcast Rarity Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
perfect dark new

i don't care enough to go find the trailer but there's a new AAAA Perfect Dark that got a gameplay trailer yesterday

Old 10th June 2024, 05:17 PM
Zondekel Zondekel is offline she/her
Mercury Star Power, Make Up~!

Total Awards: 10
Awesome Default Medal You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On 

Old 10th June 2024, 07:48 PM
Trash Apprentice

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
If it actually turns out like that it looks really good!

Old 10th June 2024, 10:03 PM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
The state of my life is in perfect dark. Also the game looks good

Old 12th June 2024, 12:53 AM
Yoshi52 Yoshi52 is offline he / him
Dingpot

INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
So, this is it...the Perfect Dark reboot. I see promise, but the footage better be from optimal play and not mandatory setpieces. The best way for PD to evolve for modern gaming, I think, is to be more open-ended. Still linear, but open-ended. Honestly, it should feel like Deus Ex, but with gadgets instead of augments. I don't think it needs dialogue choices, rather it needs choice in actions and it needs alternatives if you fail. The recent Hitman trilogy is like that.

The thing is, I love PD64 because it feels like GE. PDZero had some cool ideas with the loadout thing and its health damage system, but the game just didn't feel fun. Now, it doesn't need to feel like GE to be fun, what I'm saying is it needs to feel fun. PDZero felt slow and clumsy, yet somehow also rigid. This new PD game has the markings of feeling fun, what with it having acrobatics like a post-Titanfall game, and if it can tie those acrobatics into emergent solutions for goals, then that boosts its chances of success. A game that's fun to move around in and gives you multiple solutions is a good formula to make something with.

Wait, that wasn't the point I was trying to make... I meant, I like PD64 because it feels like GE, and it's impossible for any future PD game to ever feel that way. As such, it needs to evolve from PD64. The original game toyed with the idea of actions that carry over to future missions (lowering the hover bike, keeping the mechanic alive, etc.) and PDZero tried to let you choose which gadget to take (tried, because it only works when you replay). If the next PD game can do both to a more significant degree, I think that'll help it "feel" like Perfect Dark.

Actual point is, I'm cautiously optimistic and will wait to see how the reviews are.

Old 12th June 2024, 01:12 AM
Gold Jinjo Gold Jinjo is offline he/him
terminally online

Total Awards: 5
Imagination Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
The old jaded millennial in me wants to hate it because blah blah, old man shakes fist at cloud.

But I loved Mirror's Edge, and that's all I saw in the trailer, and if it's calling itself Perfect Dark now, I'm legit excited, good job Microsoft, EA can burn in the heart of a billion suns.

Parkour lets gooo

Old 12th June 2024, 05:59 PM
Dingpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Jinjo View Post
The old jaded millennial in me wants to hate it because blah blah, old man shakes fist at cloud.

But I loved Mirror's Edge, and that's all I saw in the trailer, and if it's calling itself Perfect Dark now, I'm legit excited, good job Microsoft, EA can burn in the heart of a billion suns.

Parkour lets gooo
I'm glad you mentioned Mirror's Edge, I was too distracted by my "Titanfall changed FPS gaming" bit.

Old 12th June 2024, 10:26 PM
Gold Jinjo Gold Jinjo is offline he/him
terminally online

Total Awards: 5
Imagination Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi52 View Post
I'm glad you mentioned Mirror's Edge, I was too distracted by my "Titanfall changed FPS gaming" bit.
You brought up some great points. I think a lot of us would love a simple, polished up GoldenEye engine game, but thinking more realistically about where the industry is right now... it's been hard to imagine how Perfect Dark can really shake anything up.

But the way to do it appears to be the way they're doing it.... learning movement lessons from games like Titanfall, Mirrors Edge, Doom 2016, and throwing in some immersion from classics like Deus Ex, or possibly even System Shock.

Yeah, this could actually be great, but yeah... caution is still needed. It's hard being this optimistic these days

Old 18th June 2024, 08:31 PM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
PD fans are eating good. The original Perfect Dark is now a available on NSO. Jealous.

Old 19th June 2024, 01:05 AM
Mr. Airplane Mr. Airplane is offline he/they
a banana peel

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! RWP Podcast Rarity Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
It has been on Xbox for a decade and a half with better controls and online play. You can buy it and at least 3 other good games in Rare Replay, bundled with Gears of War even, for $10

this is like when everyone was excited last week about Kingdom Hearts "coming to PC"

Old 19th June 2024, 01:51 AM
Trash Apprentice

More ways to play is never a bad thing though!

Old 20th June 2024, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Total Awards: 8
You're Appreciated! Puzzle Six Awesome Default Medal RWP Donator RWP Podcast 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Airplane View Post
It has been on Xbox for a decade and a half with better controls and online play. You can buy it and at least 3 other good games in Rare Replay, bundled with Gears of War even, for $10

this is like when everyone was excited last week about Kingdom Hearts "coming to PC"
Yeah. Only Nintendo can get away with pulling ancient ROMs from the internet en masse with AI-scribed takedown notices, and then renting a tiny portion of them back to customers with terrible emulation and dreadful controls, and for a monthly subscription fee, and still have people reacting like it's something to celebrate. The default controls in the Xbox versions of PD and GE were both mind-blowingly bad, and yet they're still vastly better than shambles you get with NSO without the replica N64 controller.

Old 20th June 2024, 07:38 PM
Dingpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Trabajo View Post
Yeah. Only Nintendo can get away with pulling ancient ROMs from the internet en masse with AI-scribed takedown notices, and then renting a tiny portion of them back to customers with terrible emulation and dreadful controls, and for a monthly subscription fee, and still have people reacting like it's something to celebrate. The default controls in the Xbox versions of PD and GE were both mind-blowingly bad, and yet they're still vastly better than shambles you get with NSO without the replica N64 controller.
I think the control problems are a little overblown, but I guess I'm someone who's adapted to different controllers all my life. I'd test it myself to be sure, but I have nasty JoyCon drift (lol).

Old 20th June 2024, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Total Awards: 8
You're Appreciated! Puzzle Six Awesome Default Medal RWP Donator RWP Podcast 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi52 View Post
I think the control problems are a little overblown, but I guess I'm someone who's adapted to different controllers all my life. I'd test it myself to be sure, but I have nasty JoyCon drift (lol).
These games are very challenging on their hardest difficulties, and even nuancedly bad controls are a nightmare in GE and PD. I had to change everything I could to get all the achievements on Xbox - not sure what they were thinking with the defaults - and even then, you can't fix everything (can't aim-lean around corners, most egregiously, and also you have to move with the D-pad to get full movement speed). And I say this because the default Xbox controls were about ten times more useable than Switch. In the absence of Nintendo doing the work required to make PD and GE twin-stick, you'd have to buy 2x N64 replica controllers to play these games enjoyably. The thought of 100%ing either of these games on Switch gives me a premonitory headache.

Old 20th June 2024, 11:37 PM
Trash Apprentice

It's true that Nintendo's been pretty bad with ports of old games. You really only seem to get quality with remakes from them but then, thats always a totally different game.

Still, not surprises since they ALWAYS drop the ball when it comes to basic competency on most things that aren't straight up just Nintendo Games.

User Tag List