Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > General > Creative Cavern

Creative Cavern We'd love to see your artwork, read your stories, or play your games. So let your creative juices go wild. Images are enabled in this forum.

Old 11th October 2023, 09:37 PM
Dingpot

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
Captain & Crew's Homebrew

Ahoy, avast and listen me RWP hearties, here I will be sharing my future projects of homebrewing some lovely batches of me finest brews!

But yeah, I'll do some documenting and sharing recipes as I make them up and try them. Feel free to share your own recipes if you are also a homebrewer or maybe some recipes and photos of any delicious dishes that go alongside beers, wines, etc. that you like.

First on the list, an all-grain brew!

I intend for this to be a pleasant seasonal brew with mild bitterness and refreshing aroma.

Grain Bill
  • 5 Lbs. Weyermann Barke Pilsner
  • 1 Lb. Dingermans Biscuit Malt

Hops (pellets)
  • 0.5 oz. Cluster 45 minutes.
  • 0.5 oz. Cluster 30 minutes.
  • 1 oz. Kent Golding 15 minutes.
  • 1 oz. Kent Golding 0 minutes.

For yeast, I'm just going with good ole' Fleischmann's bread yeast

Starting Gravity of ~1.042, a little lower than expected but that can always be fixed with a bit of DME.

[Update: 10/13/23 - I step-fed some Bavarian Wheat DME to bump up the gravity.]

[Update: 10/18/23 - It's coming along nicely, a crisp taste with balanced bitterness and spicy herbal flavor notes, lacking a bit in aroma. Still got ways to go, needs a bit more time.

I'll keep ya updated for the results. I can also go further into detail if people would like a basic tutorial on how to brew their own.

11/2/23 - Missed an update, I took a reading on the 26th, wasn't moving below 1.020- so I added some sugar(Up to 1.0441) to bump up it's abv and it managed to eat it's way though all of it with some additional sugar. We're at a gravity of 1.015 bringing us to just above 7.5%. It's got a refreshing citrus taste and lightly bitter, going to let it sit one more week just to make sure it's done then I will bottle it up.

Last edited by CaptainWhiteEye; 3rd November 2023 at 01:54 AM. Reason: updates
Old 18th October 2023, 10:32 PM
Dingpot

You're Appreciated! 
I started up a second brew, this one is a much stronger batch. I wanted to go for a Dwarven theme, dark, rich in malty flavor, and high alcohol.

Grain Bill
  • 12 Lbs. Simpson Golden Promise
  • 1 Lb. Crisp Scottish Heavy 50, Peated.
  • 0.5 Lb. Flaked Barley
  • 0.25 Crisp Pale Chocolate (for color)

Added a tsp of Amylase to the mash to help ensure a full conversion.

This came out to a massive 11 gallons before boiling and reduced to 5 gallons.

Hops

1 oz. Cluster 30 minutes.
1 oz. Willamette 15 minutes.

We got about a .085 Spgr, and with an addition of 3 Lbs. of Bavarian Wheat DME, the estimated Spgr was brought up to .110. With this high starting gravity and long a boil, we are going to have to break out the big guns and some additives.
Pitched with EC-1118 yeast and to help it along I added 2 tsp Fermaid-o, 1 tsp Amylase, and 0.5 tsp diammonium phosphate. These help yeast grow and eat, higher starting Spgr can be difficult to chew through for even strong yeasts like EC-1118.

11/2/23 - Added another 3lbs of Bavarian What DME on the 20th. As of today it appears to have become stuck around 1.045. I added some more fermaid-o to try to get it moving again. Will take another reading next week.

Last edited by CaptainWhiteEye; 3rd November 2023 at 01:56 AM.
Old 20th November 2023, 09:00 PM
Satan

You're Appreciated! 
I'll probably never start brewing my own or anything but it's cool that you are doing it. A nice beer after a long day is great and I can imagine brewing your own hits different. Ever thought at trying your hand at a cerveza?

User Tag List