Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop

Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop SNS? Bottle's Revenge? Share your thoughts on the mysteries of the Banjo series and discuss the new Stop 'n' Swop features in Nuts and Bolts and the XBLA games

Old 31st December 2008, 03:21 AM
Glowbo

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
The Aftermath of SnS (Theory - Disproved)

Alright, new guy here, I've got a bit of a theory of not Swop 'n Stop itself, but what happened as a result of it to Rare and Nintendo, and what turned the wheels of history for Rare forever...

NOTE - I figured out this all wasn't very backed up at all, and most of all of this is untrue, for anybody new reading this.

Alright, during the development, of Banjo-Kazooie, obviously SnS was being created as a large extra that would interconnect 4 of Rare games together, the one they made, and 3 future games they were working on.

The part for Banjo-Kazooie was completed for the most part, and the main part for Banjo-Tooie was being created, as well as some for DK64. During 1999, though, Nintendo decided to remove a chip from inside of the N64. (I can't remember the name of it, but whatever it is could have been what supported SnS)

Nintendo, with this move, completely screwed over Rare's awesome idea, and everything they were going to do for their future 3 games. (By this point BK was out) Banjo-Tooie had to have most of it removed, and all that remains of it in DK64 is data for an Ice Key.

What is this last game though I speak of? The final game in this link up would have been Twelve Tales: Conker 64. But, due to Nintendos actions, and outside media mocking it, Rare decided to take revenge against Nintendo by transforming the game into much more different game with a... bit more mature theme to it.

Nintendo, however, was taking all of the blame for CBFD, because although Rare made it, Nintendo published it, and all controversies and criticism was at them instead of Rare. Nintendo decided Rare was too much of a hassle to keep around, and got rid of them as quickly as possible.

There's probably a ton of things wrong with this article or things I missed, but it's worth a shot at a different look on what happened.

Last edited by True_Dude; 31st December 2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Changing title of topic to show it was disproved

Old 31st December 2008, 04:17 AM
Clanker

Total Awards: 2
RWP Donator INFECTED - B1K1 
I think you've been making too many assumptions here. First: There is no proof at all that the original conker would've been involved.

Second: Dk 64 was being developed around the same time as tooie, but some of the discoveries we've made here indicate that it may of just been used to test stop n swop. Most likely not intended to of had full features or anything.

Third: Rare knew that the N64's capabilities would've been removed earlier than when they were. So no actual major development was started on tooie's sns.

fourth: IF conker 64 was going to be involved, your controversy theory makes sense. Where the hell would a kid who owned banjo kazooie get BFD?

Fifth: Welcome to the RWP.

Old 31st December 2008, 05:51 AM
Glowbo

INFECTED - B1K1 
Eh, oh well, it was a pretty far fectched theory anyways.

Old 31st December 2008, 05:55 AM
Dingpot

INFECTED - B1K1 
We already know EXACTLY why Rare was sold to Microsoft, so your theory is already proved wrong...

Plus, if Nintendo wanted to get rid of Rare "as quickly as possible" why did it take them years?

I am the Cl :eek: nemaster!!!!

Old 31st December 2008, 02:00 PM
Bajr

Total Awards: 4
You're Appreciated! RWP Donator RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Dude View Post
Alright, during the development, of Banjo-Kazooie, obviously SnS was being created as a large extra that would interconnect 4 of Rare games together, the one they made, and 3 future games they were working on.
Lolwhut? It was made to connect Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie together. Where and what are these 3 furute games?

Quote:
The part for Banjo-Kazooie was completed for the most part, and the main part for Banjo-Tooie was being created, as well as some for DK64. During 1999, though, Nintendo decided to remove a chip from inside of the N64. (I can't remember the name of it, but whatever it is could have been what supported SnS)
Banjo Kazooie has ALL of the Stop 'n' Swop data in place. Tooie hasn't. And remove a chip? Evidence please. I've never heard this one before.

Quote:
Nintendo, with this move, completely screwed over Rare's awesome idea, and everything they were going to do for their future 3 games. (By this point BK was out) Banjo-Tooie had to have most of it removed, and all that remains of it in DK64 is data for an Ice Key.
True.

Quote:
What is this last game though I speak of? The final game in this link up would have been Twelve Tales: Conker 64. But, due to Nintendos actions, and outside media mocking it, Rare decided to take revenge against Nintendo by transforming the game into much more different game with a... bit more mature theme to it.
Conker?

I think none of this is true.

Quote:
Nintendo, however, was taking all of the blame for CBFD, because although Rare made it, Nintendo published it, and all controversies and criticism was at them instead of Rare. Nintendo decided Rare was too much of a hassle to keep around, and got rid of them as quickly as possible.
If they wanted to get rid of them as soon as possible, how come it was years before they were gone? And Nintendo made no effort in selling. Micrsoft made the offer.

Quote:
There's probably a ton of things wrong with this article or things I missed, but it's worth a shot at a different look on what happened.
You stated a few facts and turned them into nonsense. We already knew what happened between Rare and Nintendo.

Welcome to the site BTW. Be careful what you write since we already know a LOT.

Old 31st December 2008, 03:08 PM
Dingpot

whut did happen to them db?

Old 31st December 2008, 03:21 PM
Von Kriplespac

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoLover50 View Post
whut did happen to them db?
Rare obviously kicked Nintendo in the face with their energy legs.

Old 31st December 2008, 04:44 PM
Dingpot

INFECTED - B1K1 
I seem to be the only the not know why rare quit nintendo...

><

Old 31st December 2008, 05:54 PM
Bajr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccd-ToF View Post
I seem to be the only the not know why rare quit nintendo...

><
Rare didn't quit nintendo. Microsoft made an offer to buy them. Nintendo accepted. No hidden angst or anger. No theories. Thats what happened.

Old 31st December 2008, 08:49 PM
Jinjo

the reason why it was canceled is because the n64's owners manual was completely against the things you had to do in sns and because they changed the 10 second memory to 1 second.

Old 31st December 2008, 09:24 PM
Glowbo

INFECTED - B1K1 
Ah, well the Conker thing was kinda pushing it, but I had no idea that the DK64 thing was just a test. Oh well, probably not the weirdest theory anyones come up with.

I did read hat Microsoft bought Rare, but I kinda put it the other way around. It was late last night, and I kinda hurried a little too much to put this up. Probably should've thought some parts through a little more. >.<

Old 1st January 2009, 04:31 AM
Dingpot

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmon67 View Post
the reason why it was canceled is because the n64's owners manual was completely against the things you had to do in sns
What?

Where in the owner's manual does it say that?

Old 1st January 2009, 01:59 PM
Bajr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemega32 View Post
What?

Where in the owner's manual does it say that?
Warnings. Pages 2 and 3 if i remember rightly.

Ripping cartridges out with the console on is a big no no.

Old 1st January 2009, 08:55 PM
Jinjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBottles View Post

thank you

Old 1st January 2009, 10:20 PM
Dingpot

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBottles View Post

And?

Stop 'n' Swop involved swapping the cartridges while the console was off....