Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

View Poll Results: Who do you like better?
Sonic the Hedgehog 22 59.46%
Shadow the Hedgehog 10 27.03%
I haven't COMPLETELY played through enough games with Shadow in it to accurately judge. 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th August 2007, 06:49 AM
Most Missed Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 8
SteamLink Verified Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
Because Sonic has almost zero personality. It's hard to bond with/follow a character who is just a bland vessel that you control. At least Shadow was angry and trying to destroy stuff. He was doing something. Sonic just aimlessly heads towards villains, gives occasional one liners, and tries to save the day while being careful to put as little emotion on his face as possible.

It's, in a very abstract way, the same reason I don't appreciate Pacman over Halo just because Pacman came first.

Old 5th August 2007, 06:56 AM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 4
RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 6 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Grey Jinjo also described why I prefer Shadow over Sonic, even though they got rid of the emo Shadow at least he have some character, heck I think Shadow is the only Sonic character that has the most personality, by that meaning most developed story.

Old 5th August 2007, 07:31 AM
Showdown Town Tour Guide

Total Awards: 11
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Awesome Default Medal RWP Note Medal RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Jinjo
It's, in a very abstract way, the same reason I don't appreciate Pacman over Halo just because Pacman came first.
That's actually quite a different comparison considering, unlike Sonic and Shadow, who exist in the same series, Pac-Man an Halo are totally unrealted

Although you could play the hypocrisy card on me seeing as I prefer Wario over Mario.

Old 5th August 2007, 05:07 PM

SteamLink Verified Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
Yeah I know it was off. That's why I put that abstract comment in there / It still holds the same "One came first and was iconic but the other is better so I like it better regardless" parallel.

Old 5th August 2007, 05:23 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 6
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 7 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 6 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 2 Participation Award 
Shadow is the only one in the Sonic series with character. The rest are generic 'I will rule the world!' 'I'm gonna stop you' 'Agghh! I lost!' characters. Although I still prefer Sonic. Gameplay over story.

Old 5th August 2007, 06:15 PM

Then you should know that with the exception of Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic and Shadow have almost the exact gameplay in every game they've been in .

Old 5th August 2007, 07:43 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Note Medal 
Wait...how the **** is Shadow "emo"?

Edit: And if you say "bc h3 has t3h bl4ck hair lolz," then that must make me emo as well.

Last edited by SSJ3 Gogeta; 5th August 2007 at 07:45 PM.

Old 5th August 2007, 08:22 PM
And re-eat sass

Total Awards: 23
You're Appreciated! Game On Reminiscence Rarity RWP Donator 
Sonic, cause Shadow is basically a character created to appeal to more 'serious' or 'rebellious' people.

Old 5th August 2007, 08:40 PM
Clanker

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ3 Gogeta
Wait...how the **** is Shadow "emo"?

Edit: And if you say "bc h3 has t3h bl4ck hair lolz," then that must make me emo as well.
How about

"UGH. MARIA. OH GOD. UGGH WHY AM I HERE. GARGH. AM I REAL? IS THIS ME!? WHAT IS MY PURPOSE WHATS GOING ON. ARGHAURR NOO. ALL MY FRIENDS ARE DEAD. I AM DEAD TOO. I AM NOTING BUT A CLONE. OF A CLONE. OF A CLONE. WHO HAVE A CLONE OF MY OWN SHADOW. WHO HAS A CLONE. OF A CLONE. OH NO. MARIO. I MEAN- MARIA. AGAIN. NOOOOOOOOOoooooo"

Old 5th August 2007, 09:40 PM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 
Right. In SA2 he was a dark and mysterious fellow that was quiet about his traumatic past and sided with the enemy in an attempt to further his own goals, when in Shadow the Hedgehog he just continously whines about his problems and seems a lot more broken than bad. But of course, you could pull the "Shadow the Hedgehog isn't canon" card.

Also, Sonic the Hedgehog isn't the series you want to look forward to for character personality. That's sort of what spawned Sonic the Hedgehog 360/PS3. Not gonna pick a randomly developed Mario character over the classic plumber, right?

Old 5th August 2007, 10:17 PM

I'd pick a sleuth of characters over Mario. Mario is, all things considered, completely worthless as a character.

See also Link.

Old 5th August 2007, 10:33 PM
Showdown Town Tour Guide

Total Awards: 11
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Awesome Default Medal RWP Note Medal RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Jinjo
I'd pick a sleuth of characters over Mario. Mario is, all things considered, completely worthless as a character.

See also Link.
Apologies in advance but I'm really picky, so I gotta say it, the word you're looking for is "slew," not "sleuth."

Also: agreed@Link.

Old 5th August 2007, 10:36 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 6
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 7 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 6 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 2 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottles98
Apologies in advance but I'm really picky, so I gotta say it, the word you're looking for is "slew," not "sleuth."

Also: agreed@Link.
Link is so...plain. TALK FOR ONCE!

Old 5th August 2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottles98
Oh, right. Well noted. Thanks .

Old 6th August 2007, 12:25 AM
Ironically Illiterate

RWP Note Medal 
I love me a good story, and that's why Shadow appealed to me in SA2. I actually teared up a little bit when
Spoiler: (highlight to view)
he sacrificed himself at the end.

Very sad indeed. Pac-Man Forever, by the way.

User Tag List