Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > General > Media Shack

Media Shack Film nuts, music maestros and TV junkies - jump on in the media frenzy and get with the gossip of all the latest acts you can't afford to miss.

Old 9th August 2015, 11:55 PM
Formerly BanjoBoy123

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
kill la kill, love the animation, love the designs, love the compositions, love the colors, it's exactly what i personally like an anime to be, FUN. i dont think it should be the norm, different strokes for different folks, but i sure as hell appreciate it and wish there was more like it. reminds me of FLCL (my all time favorite anime) in some regards. the balance of seriousness to non-seriousness is my cup of tea. it's almost like a "satirical anime" in some ways. pretty neat stuff. theme song is catchy too.

Old 10th August 2015, 12:42 AM
Funniest Member ('13 - '14)

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuskP8Ri4l4

Old 10th August 2015, 01:58 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
Just got done with Baccano! It's a lot of fun, pretty much a story that has immortality presented not as some horrible curse that turns people to evil, but just some thing that a bunch of dudes get and just continue on with their daily schedules, only now somewhat less scared of getting their heads blown off. The story itself is about a horrible disaster on board a train in the 1930s, but I just like how that particular part of the story is presented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
kill la kill, love the animation, love the designs, love the compositions, love the colors, it's exactly what i personally like an anime to be, FUN. i dont think it should be the norm, different strokes for different folks, but i sure as hell appreciate it and wish there was more like it. reminds me of FLCL (my all time favorite anime) in some regards. the balance of seriousness to non-seriousness is my cup of tea. it's almost like a "satirical anime" in some ways. pretty neat stuff. theme song is catchy too.
Makes sense that it would remind you of FLCL, the director of Kill la Kill was the animation director for that. If you dig Kill la Kill, you'd probably love Gurren Lagann, Re: Cutie Honey, Panty & Stocking, pretty much everything Imaishi's done. Gurren Lagann especially is one of my favorites, much as some people here dislike it, it's a really awesome love letter to super giant robot stuff and the art style is the most similar to Kill la Kill out of any of Imaishi's other work.

Old 10th August 2015, 02:05 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

I wish Punchline had a better ending

Last edited by The Colonel; 10th August 2015 at 05:40 AM.

Old 10th August 2015, 05:45 AM
Lord of Games

Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
Your thoughts on this are interesting in comparison to my own. Of course we both absolutely love this anime but I feel like we do for different reasons. I really liked the fun action scenes of course, but the main reason I love it as much as I do is Ryuko's whole character arc and all the symbolism and social commentary throughout. Like, the fun action anime stuff is something I can enjoy a lot, but what propelled it being one of my favorite animes, if not my favorite, is everything on TOP of the "fun action anime stuff".

Really I could talk forever about how awesome KLK is.

Also never cared much for FLCL. Was really just confused by it- I'm sure there's something deep there but I feel like I'd have to watch it several times over just to understand the main plot. Still, I'd recommend Gurren Lagann. It's by the same people who made FLCL and KLK and it's absolutely fantastic. The characters aren't as complex and the plot isn't as deep as either, but it's still a very great action anime with a lot of fun moments and very serious heart-wrenching ones.

Edit: Hey, how much do you recommend Punchline? I know it's by the guy who made Zero Escape.

Last edited by Dylan Yoshi; 10th August 2015 at 05:49 AM.

Old 10th August 2015, 06:26 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Yoshi View Post
Edit: Hey, how much do you recommend Punchline? I know it's by the guy who made Zero Escape.
It's fun. Colorful art, nice animation, really fun writing that shows off even more of Uchikoshi's crazy side than Virtue's Last Reward. It's the lightest thing he's written in tone, though it still has some pretty serious moments. I love the cast of characters, honestly my only complaints about it are that it's only twelve episodes long, the main character only gets to interact with anyone for the latter half of those twelve, and the ending is kind of weird for what the series is. They're releasing a video game adaptation of it that's going to have multiple endings, so maybe the canon ending will be different there?

I'd recommend watching it regardless of anything, though, just for the faces in episode 6.

Seriously though, if they made it longer series and it was just about the same cast of characters hanging out and sometimes saving the world from crazy shit, I'd watch the hell out of it.

Old 10th August 2015, 06:55 AM
Formerly BanjoBoy123

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Yoshi View Post
Your thoughts on this are interesting in comparison to my own. Of course we both absolutely love this anime but I feel like we do for different reasons. I really liked the fun action scenes of course, but the main reason I love it as much as I do is Ryuko's whole character arc and all the symbolism and social commentary throughout. Like, the fun action anime stuff is something I can enjoy a lot, but what propelled it being one of my favorite animes, if not my favorite, is everything on TOP of the "fun action anime stuff".

Really I could talk forever about how awesome KLK is.

Also never cared much for FLCL. Was really just confused by it- I'm sure there's something deep there but I feel like I'd have to watch it several times over just to understand the main plot. Still, I'd recommend Gurren Lagann. It's by the same people who made FLCL and KLK and it's absolutely fantastic. The characters aren't as complex and the plot isn't as deep as either, but it's still a very great action anime with a lot of fun moments and very serious heart-wrenching ones.

that's definitely most peoples' opinions on anime, but myself being an artistic purist, its very hard for me to handle anything thats visually-oriented that doesn't have very appealing art for me to look at. when it comes to animation (again just because i have high standards and i admit it) or any sort of visual art, my main judge of quality is whether i can watch the thing without the sound on and STILL be entertained.

i admit it isn't the norm, but i'll die with my convictions

Old 10th August 2015, 07:40 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

I like good storytelling and shit but yeah good art and animation are really important for me, too.

Actually, speaking of really appealing art and animation, I actually also really recommend Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta. It's really consistently well-drawn, and it's really really consistently well-animated. It also drove its director into a nervous breakdown during production!

Actually one thing that's really worth checking out if you want to see some really, really good animation is the old OVA for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders. It's not a good substitute for the new anime or the manga if you want the plot stuff, but the last two episodes of it have bits of really, really smooth animation.

The real good stuff starts around 6:30

Outside the realm of really good animation, I recommend reading or watching Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun. It's a comedy series about a guy who makes shoujo manga, and the people who help him as well as give him inspiration for characters and stories. So really, it's about a really awkward workaholic who writes down notes recording stuff his friends do so that he can write them into a dumb teen romance story. Both the manga and the anime are good, though the anime is just a direct animated adaptation of the manga anyway.

Last edited by The Colonel; 10th August 2015 at 08:22 AM.

Old 10th August 2015, 03:21 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Here is a page, from Nozaki-kun (I could not post any last night because imgur was down)

Old 10th August 2015, 04:14 PM
Formerly !~Magnus~!

Random Award 
if you aren't reading prison school you are a failure

Old 10th August 2015, 04:59 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Watched an episode of A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist.

Biting social commentary, and a man yelling "Free the dick"

Old 12th August 2015, 04:55 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Never thought I'd need a guide to watch an anime in the correct order, but then Haruhi Suzumiya runs up and has the chronological order of episodes be different from the sequence of ones that were broadcast and then has season 2 get them listed in the chronological order so now I need a list of which episode aired and when and jesus ****ing christ

Old 12th August 2015, 06:16 PM
Lord of Games

INFECTED - B1K1 
My favorite episodes of Inuyasha are the filler ones where they're just having fun for 20 minutes. I always look forward to them. Episode 80 out of like 160 think

Old 12th August 2015, 08:07 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Haruhi is honestly really ****ing bizarre in general. I've gone into it with little to no knowledge and it has been literally entirely different in every way from what I'd expected.

The second Season of Haruhi had eight episodes that are literally just the same thing again and again, because it is an arc about the characters getting trapped in the last day of Summer until Haruhi decides that she's made the most of Summer that she possibly can.

Last edited by The Colonel; 12th August 2015 at 08:12 PM.

Old 13th August 2015, 06:52 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggbert View Post
if you aren't reading prison school you are a failure

User Tag List