Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 18th June 2019, 11:26 PM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
Soooo..... Only 2 slots left for the complete roster. Who do you guys expect?

They can't top Banjo really, objectively, unless Sakurai's putting in Master Chief. Or Geno. Or Steve. Or Pink Gold Waluigi.

Old 19th June 2019, 12:05 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 17
You're Appreciated! Mystery Four Mystery One Thread Starter Imagination 
Quote:
Originally Posted by @ View Post
Banjo two more times
Doubt it. Banjo isn't getting into smash again.

Buterflies are insex. ~TwilightVestige

Old 19th June 2019, 12:56 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 10
You're Appreciated! Bashful Imagination Game On Reminiscence 
I'm hoping for the Doom Slayer next. I think Banjo, Kazooie, and Spiral Mountain look great. My one problem with Kazooie would be the feathers on top of Kazooie's head look a little weird.

Old 19th June 2019, 03:26 AM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Total Awards: 13
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
Spyro, Crash or Rayman please. Let’s keep making dreams come true.

Old 6th July 2019, 08:31 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
Sorry for being such a Negative Nancy last time I was here.
I just really hope the properly polish the stage and models by the time it releases in Autumn.

One reason I'm so critical about video games is because I'm passionate about them. I feel like "Super Smash Bros." has lost it's appeal of being an 'accessible fighting game for Players who don't play fighting games' type of game, especially now that every character has an unnecessary gimmick or meter tied to them.

I'm going to post everything I DO like about "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate":
Updated graphics to returning stages look nice (but they did cheap out on the N64 stages).
Actual changes to the gameplay (directional dodging, parries, ladder attacks, etc.).
Sudden Death removes the random Bob-Ombs and the Blast Zone [camera] now zooms in.
Pick the Rules (from a custom pre-set list) first, then the Stage, and then the Fighters.
Stamina is now grouped together with Time and Stock instead of being under Special Smash.
Songs are no longer tied to specific stages and are instead grouped together by series.
Create playlists and listen to music while the Nintendo Switch is in sleep mode (like Smash 3DS).
All 100+ stages are 8 Player compatible instead of only half of them being 8 Player compatible.
Stage hazards can now finally be turned off.
Custom Moves being removed makes the game a bit more accessible for newcomers.
The Final Smash Meter and Stage Morph options are excellent additions.
Classic Mode difficulty slider now moves up if you succeed (instead of just going down).
Squad Strike, Offline Tournaments, Smash Down are great modes (Training Mode is better too).
Have the ability to edit Replay Videos (changing the camera angle, zooming in/out, etc.).

Anyways, back to Banjo and Kazooie: I've never really analyzed their design until our conversation in this thread, but I guess Banjo has always looked a little off. First off, his head was always too big, I just never noticed it until now.
He looks like amusement park mascot.
Just like Sonic, Banjo does not good from the front - he's always looked better from the side or from a profile view.
Banjo looks much worse than Sonic from the front.
Both characters are directly based off their Nintendo 64 renders, I get it, but I will miss Kazooie's tom-boyish mohawk she had in "Banjo-Kazooie: Nut & Bolts".
Even Rare updated her design in the cancelled "Banjo X" game.

Speaking of Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, am I the only one doesn't hate their redesign?
Maybe it's just me, but I saw it as a 'highschool reunion' type of look; like you meet someone you haven't seen in years - even though they look completely different (while still retaining the same features), you recognize them instantly.
It'd be nice if we got choose which look they had in Smash, if not just to see Robo-Banjo again.

Old 7th July 2019, 06:01 AM
Jolly Rodger

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBB View Post
It was a little jarring seeing Banjo doing a victory/peace sign with his hand.

Old 3rd August 2019, 03:23 AM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
Well, yeah, I know about that...maybe it's just the combination of showing his teeth with his hand on his hip while doing the peace sign. It feels very 'Japanese'. I mean, compare that 'very humble' looking Rareware render to his 'Ultimate Pose'.

Edit: I meant to say "It feels very 'Genki', not 'Japanese'. Banjo is posing like a anime school girl than as a hillbilly.

Last edited by TRBB; 18th August 2019 at 02:13 AM.

Old 6th September 2019, 01:30 AM
Rare Witch Hero

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk-...aYjoaAQ/videos

Someone posted the music

Not bad

Old 11th September 2019, 04:13 AM
Von Kriplespac

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Wonder Wing sends the skinny anime bois sailing, erasing all past transgressions.

Old 7th October 2019, 03:25 AM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
Banjo and Kazooie are phenomenal in Smash. I didn't get the chance to play with them much because my Joy-cons screwed up something fierce and I had to send them to Nintendo for repairs, but I'm very pleased so far. They and King K. Rool are my mains for sure!

I can't believe this really happened. Remember back during the Brawl days when everyone lamented that it could never happen? That was the year of Nuts & Bolts, too. We were all so bent out of shape! And now, that's over forever. The bear and bird are back, good as new, and you'd better believe there's more on the way now that both Nintendo and Microsoft have seen how much we still love them. It's a good year to be a Rare fan.

Between this and Impossible Lair, I can't believe the RWP is still deserted. Won't everyone come back? The whole gang from the mid-2000s? I'll stick around if you will...

Old 7th October 2019, 12:58 PM
Darth Dubzicus

You're Appreciated! Imagination Reminiscence Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
Banjo flows really well and feels more like a natural fighter rather than the cheapness of a DLC fighter

Old 12th October 2019, 01:23 AM
Rare Witch Hero

I still visit from time to time. I'm sure that if a true, honest to goodness Banjo game came out, the forum would be more populated... but sadly in the past 8 or so years, traditional forums like ours have just fallen out of style. Reddit and Twitter and other more instant means of communication are what the norm is now.

Old 12th October 2019, 05:15 AM

Gonna be real with you: I don't see the point of staying super on-topic since there's only like five of us here.

I agree, it's a pity that Reddit, Tumblr, et al stole fan forums' thunder. I'm a much bigger fan of this type of discussion board. It's harder to make friends on a website with literally millions of users. Maybe y'all should expand the forums to what they were like in the glory days, though. Individual boards for Nintendo, PlayStation, Xbox, etc. Give people more stuff to talk about.

But yeah, er, Banjo... I'm expecting an N. Sane Trilogy-style remake sometime in the near future. Steve Mayles and some other OG Rare brass have already brought up the possibility. And some semi-reliable leakers (according to SmashBoards) like Indie Gamer Chick swear that an N64 Classic with Rare games is coming. Fingers crossed, eh?

Old 13th October 2019, 04:35 AM

I actually do think today's Rare could make a good Banjo-Threeie. The question is whether or not Microsoft will let them. Most of the games they've released since the buyout are pretty decent, they're just not the kinds of games the RWP crowd is interested in playing.

Given the success of the Crash and Spyro remasters, plus the massive shockwave of goodwill that Banjo and Kazooie's induction into Smash Bros. caused, I have a feeling we'll see either a remake of a sequel in the near future. Rare are infamous for playing things pretty close to the chest, and I don't think Steve Mayles et al. would be floating the idea if it weren't a real possibility.

What do you want to see in Banjo-Threeie, by the way? I'd love to see the space world everyone was clamoring for since Tooie came out, a Chinese or Japanese world, and a world that's the magic school where Gruntilda studied. A parody of Hogwarts (Hagfarts? Are we too classy for that?).

Old 14th October 2019, 08:53 PM
Fired

You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazam View Post
the boards are condensed because it looks terrible when nobody has posted in a subforum for months
Agreed.

Quote:
ASFARASBANJOGOES
ACODETORESTOREHISROUNDNOSE

Quote:
i've always been curious how N&B had turned out if it'd been a remake of BK1 like they initially planned.
It wouldn't have aged well. The point of remake like that is to update the graphics, which if a B-K remake was made back in 2088 it would look outdated by this point. Nowadays I think it would be fine, as technology has basically reached the point where human eyes pretty much cannot discern the graphical improvements we keep making each console generation, so there's little concern of any game looking outdated later.

Quote:
considering that rare might not have the creative talent for a true banjo-threeie anymore, i'd be absolutely fine with a remake if done right
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
I actually do think today's Rare could make a good Banjo-Threeie. The question is whether or not Microsoft will let them.
I think modern Rare is fine. They've just fallen into wanderlust as of late. I always say this, but as long as Rare still has Gregg Mayles, who pretty much is the one responsible for making Banjo-Kazooie what it is, at the helm, then I'm not really worried about a new Banjo game turning out good.

There's a question there however, about whether capturing the same magic of the old titles is even possible. Or whether Playtonic or some other company would do a better job of it.

Quote:
What do you want to see in Banjo-Threeie, by the way? I'd love to see the space world everyone was clamoring for since Tooie came out, a Chinese or Japanese world, and a world that's the magic school where Gruntilda studied. A parody of Hogwarts (Hagfarts? Are we too classy for that?).
Expect a reworked Weird West world that was cut from NaB. It'll be great, too. That kind of world style fits really well with the oddball goofiness and vague 'southern' vibe Banjo has.

User Tag List