Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 15th September 2010, 11:30 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyke4995 View Post
They just don't like the idea of you expecting people to work night and day, on something you've only got a story to.
I don't expect them to work night and day. I don't care if the game is finished in 30 years, and like I said before I don't even care if the game is ever finished. It was fun coming up with everything.

Old 15th September 2010, 11:45 PM
Mr. Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquasAccount View Post
You didn't see my message? Oh well. So there's a program Iv'e heard is pretty good called Crystal Space. http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Download
Cool beans. I'll have to check it out.

Old 16th September 2010, 12:24 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Laurence View Post
There are a few problems with this.

Firstly, the plot, which seems to be the main point about making this game, is seriously flawed. Why would Cheato still be randomly sitting in Grunty's Lair? Why would Grunty be hopping around randomly?

But I think it has potential and that music sounds good even though it's ridiculously BK cliche (I mean you've pretty much used every cliche chord pattern in the book).

I think everybody's being really discouraging which is unnecessary. Guys you've made your point. No reason to strangle the poor fellow!
Thanks. And really I just started the whole thing cause it sounds fun. If it doesn't get made into a game oh well. If it does then that'd be awesome. Also Cheato is still in Gruntilda's lair from tooie. Its pretty much his home now since he really has nowhere else to go. Grunty is hopping back to spiral mountain so she could use the spell she remembered to get her body back and get revenge on Banjo and Kazooie. There's more to the plot that I probably should have added. She's planning on destroying Spiral Mountain and the west coast of isle o' hags with a deadly spell. She magnifies the spell with some sort of machine that she works on throughout the game.

Old 16th September 2010, 12:25 AM
Formerly Spyke4995

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Rarity Chatterbox SteamLink Verified 
Well, I hope your project goes well, even if it doesn't get finished.

Edit: Wait, what happened there?

Old 16th September 2010, 12:40 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyke4995 View Post
Well, I hope your project goes well, even if it doesn't get finished.

Edit: Wait, what happened there?
Thanks. And what happened where?

Old 16th September 2010, 12:42 AM
Formerly Spyke4995

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Rarity Chatterbox SteamLink Verified 
That double post just before, confused me.

Old 16th September 2010, 05:17 AM
The Redemption Award '10 - '11

Total Awards: 2
Rarity INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
I don't expect them to work night and day. I don't care if the game is finished in 30 years, and like I said before I don't even care if the game is ever finished. It was fun coming up with everything.
Then why bother with wasting people's time ?

Old 16th September 2010, 09:24 AM
Clanker

Random Award RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award 
First: I like your music (did you make that yourself)
Second: I like some gameplay ideas
Third: If you can't do at least game programming, 3d animations, 3d modeling, Photoshop skills, etc yourself, or at least a very huge part...then you are screwed and the project will go down the 'Duke Nukem Forever' way...(scratch that, I mean Crystal Jiggy way)

I know a bit of Photoshop, design and 3d modeling/animation but my first game will be a simple 2d sprite based game. And even then...I am still in need of a decent programmer, even if it is only in Gamemaker, I just have high expectations

So my advice, start on a low-key project, collect a team, than expand....and make a KEY part of development depending on only YOU, not your team. I think the ratio should be: 75% development by YOU and 25% by others.

Old 16th September 2010, 02:50 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupaie View Post
First: I like your music (did you make that yourself)
Second: I like some gameplay ideas
Third: If you can't do at least game programming, 3d animations, 3d modeling, Photoshop skills, etc yourself, or at least a very huge part...then you are screwed and the project will go down the 'Duke Nukem Forever' way...(scratch that, I mean Crystal Jiggy way)

I know a bit of Photoshop, design and 3d modeling/animation but my first game will be a simple 2d sprite based game. And even then...I am still in need of a decent programmer, even if it is only in Gamemaker, I just have high expectations

So my advice, start on a low-key project, collect a team, than expand....and make a KEY part of development depending on only YOU, not your team. I think the ratio should be: 75% development by YOU and 25% by others.
Yeah I think I should too. I think i'll finish writing out this game game and try composing some music for it too. One guy asked if he could with compositions so I said it was fine but im also trying to make some music, not very good at Banjo styled songs.

Old 16th September 2010, 03:11 PM
Best Rarely Active Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 4
Game On RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal 
Sorry but you have to have way more of a game plan before asking people to program. I've worked on games like this before, and I've had to program tons of useless things because the guy in charge kept changing his mind. People don't have time for that kind of crap. Once you have everything else 100% sorted and planned out, THEN you can ask for a programmer.

Old 16th September 2010, 11:50 PM
Mr. Pants

First part of making a proper fangame is organization. Don't just make up stuff as you go along. It leads to the death of your project. Trust me, haha... i've been there.

Old 19th September 2010, 03:11 AM
Clanker

Hi, i've been building my game on and off for a while now, the videos can be seen on my channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BanjoUnity?feature=mhum

This shows alot of the functions in place atm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS-P8MzdaxU

and this is a swimming demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aJ8aI8yMnA

Theres been a fair few months of work in that and i have a small team that work with me, but right now i haven't been able to give them a single task due to how much work there is in setting it up, getting all the moves to actually work and testing them, its not easy.

I have a Software Development Diploma which is all about business applications, so when i started i knew nothing much about games development but had alot of programming experience. I had a bit of experience with Blender but nothing major. All i did was take it step by step. I have no story for the game, all that i'm trying to do is make a game that works, jumping, running, firing eggs etc. The story can come much later.

If you were going to make a game like this its not going to be something you make in a week or month or even a year, its alot of work, pick an application like Blender that is free and start working, there was a member of RWC a while back that got pretty far with Blender GE so you could go that way.

Just do not go the way of XNA it will be far too complex for you.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Skill; 19th September 2010 at 03:15 AM.

Old 20th September 2010, 09:52 PM
Glowbo

Wow, a Banjo fan game that actually has some sort of engine! That is very impressive... looks great so far!

Old 25th September 2010, 12:05 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic Mario View Post
First part of making a proper fangame is organization. Don't just make up stuff as you go along. It leads to the death of your project. Trust me, haha... i've been there.
Your right. I'll finish coming up with the bosses and how to get each item and all that stuff then maybe i'll ask again. My brother's friend is in college for making video games so there's one person who may want to help since he like making games like this.

Old 25th September 2010, 12:15 AM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Quote:
Thank you!
Lol, I think he was talking to Skill about the engine. Your game doesn't have an engine yet, to my knowledge. And by the way, try to avoid double or triple posting. You can use the edit button instead.

Tags
banjo-kazooie 3

User Tag List