Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 15th October 2019, 02:35 AM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyo76 View Post
Expect a reworked Weird West world that was cut from NaB. It'll be great, too. That kind of world style fits really well with the oddball goofiness and vague 'southern' vibe Banjo has.
Glitter Gulch Mine already scratched my cowboy itch. I keep trying to think of classic video game settings that haven't been Banjofied yet. Would an airship world work? How about a mossy cave?

Old 15th October 2019, 01:58 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 17
You're Appreciated! Mystery Four Mystery One Thread Starter Imagination 
I think NAB aged well, with regards to graphics. Most of Rare's games on the 360 look pretty good still, imo.

It is only the games that try to look realistic (like PDZ) that show their age poorly, because the comparison to modern games makes them look so much lower.

Buterflies are insex. ~TwilightVestige

Old 15th October 2019, 09:04 PM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
Points made, Conker looks alright. Nuts and Bolts looks perfectly fine. Maybe the it's the janky physics that make the game look visually weird to me. Viva Piņata is gorgeous and a modern HD installment to that genre would be a dream come true.

If they do go for a remake next, I hope they do it with slight unexpected changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
Glitter Gulch Mine already scratched my cowboy itch. I keep trying to think of classic video game settings that haven't been Banjofied yet.
I dunno. That's a pretty big itch to scratch. :o Especially when you get a feel for what that world would've actually looked like.

I just want it okay

It's another standard game environment Banjo hasn't been to yet, sans Witchyworld. There aren't a lot of those left. Banjo-Threeie's gonna have to get creative if they don't wanna reuse level themes. (Which wouldn't even be that bad of a thing to do, anyway, imo.) There's plenty of room for a proper space world, finally, and the potential's unlimited, but they might not go for it just because they've done Terrarium of Terror already.

Quote:
Would an airship world work? How about a mossy cave?
Those are good. A big air blimp could make a good second sky world.

I think a big city level...
Spoiler: (highlight to view)
Grand Theft Jinjo!
...is a safe bet. What I've always wanted really bad is a honey/bee based world. We have a bear as a main character, it'd fit really nice. Plus I love honeycomb patterns. They're exquisite.

Old 16th October 2019, 03:45 AM

Now that I think on it, the Banjo series does reuse level settings pretty regularly. There's jungle (Mumbo's Mountain, Mayahem Temple), pirate (Treasure Trove Cove, Jolly Roger's Lagoon), ice/snow (Freezeezy Peak, ice side of Hailfire Peaks, ice side of Freezing Furnace), port (Rusty Bucket Bay, Spiller's Harbor), factory (Grunty Industries, fire side of Freezing Furnace), and farm (Cliff Farm, Nutty Acres). I'm probably forgetting at least one more, especially if you count tracks from Banjo-Pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyo76 View Post
What I've always wanted really bad is a honey/bee based world. We have a bear as a main character, it'd fit really nice. Plus I love honeycomb patterns. They're exquisite.
So basically Hornet Hole? Yeah, I can dig that. The problem is that Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is an entire bee-themed game, so the honey/bee world would probably feel derivative.

To elaborate on my previous ideas... I'd like a space-themed world that's basically Future Fun Land from Diddy Kong Racing in Banjo world form. Something like Spaceport Alpha. Maybe it could be the first world, to get as far as possible from the standard-issue green hilly world. It could have something like a moon rover transformation to let you get into places without oxygen.

Hagfarts could be the Gothic castle world that was cut from Tooie, with the added fun twist that it was Grunty's alma mater. It could be divided into the castle itself, the surrounding spooky woods, and the lake. Grublins in Potter cosplay could be fun enemies here. It'd be fun to find stuff like Grunty's yearbook, where she was voted "Most likely to be beat up by a bear and bird."

The Chinese or Japanese world would be our requisite green hilly world. (It's too bad Wario Land already took the name "Bamboozle Village," because that'd be perfect). Think Mayahem Temple with an Asian twist.

Old 16th October 2019, 08:26 AM
Missing Hero

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
I'm grandpa from 2000s and i'm still there Honestly new Banjo game in near future is very unlikely. Rare is so busy with Sea Of Thieves content. I hope so for Captain Blackeye and more Banjo cameos in this game. I always saw Banjo-Threeie as more darker and mature game with some prequel stuff like levels set in Grunty's past.

Last edited by BanjoPL; 16th October 2019 at 08:33 AM.

Old 16th October 2019, 09:15 PM

Remember, Rare doesn't actually have to make Banjo-Threeie. It'd be ideal if they did, obviously, but a different studio tackled the new Killer Instinct and that turned out pretty well.

As for a darker, more mature take... nah. Hard nah. We have Conker for that. Banjo's games have always been cynical and smarter than they look, but they've never been "dark," and something very special would be lost if they ever went that route.

Old 16th October 2019, 10:06 PM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
I'd love to see the return of Banjo Kazooie's level size. I think that's what made it infinitely more re-playable than Tooie for me. Same holds true for SM64. A lot more levels but quite a bit smaller feels like it would be a good way to bring Banjo back without being overwhelming to the people who didn't grow up with collectathons.

Old 17th October 2019, 12:30 AM

I'm a bigger fan of Tooie myself. It's not as replayable as Kazooie, but I love the multi-step puzzles and interconnected levels. Threeie should definitely scale things down to the size of Kazooie, partly so that it doesn't overwhelm newcomers and partly because playing Banjo-Kazooie like it's new again is pretty much what the entire fandom wants, but I hope those Metroidvania-style elements work themselves back into the series at some point.

Old 17th October 2019, 05:25 AM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
Actually you know, if they kept the size of the worlds from BK, and the interconnected aspects from Tooie, I feel like they'd have a perfect blend, while still having a unique twist on a platformer. Maybe have like 2-3 worlds open at a time so you have options of where to go first.

Old 17th October 2019, 09:39 PM
Fired

If they made backtracking optional, (it WAS almost entirely optional in Tooie, but this isn't obvious to new players,) I think they'd make everyone happy. You'd still get some major collectable for backtracking, but they wouldn't be Jiggies. And they wouldn't be necessary to beat the game.

They'd still need to be rewarding to acquire, but casual players could just go straight through to the final boss normally without worrying about backtracking. The players who DO want to do backtracking will be rewarded in their own way, with difficult multi-layers tasks, and they get to see the cool ways all the worlds interconnect.

I wanna be able to not collect something in world 1, that I will need to wait to do something all the way in the last level in order to collect. Long trials make for fulfilling rewards.

Last edited by qwertykins76; 17th October 2019 at 09:42 PM.

Old 18th October 2019, 02:45 AM

People overuse the word "backtracking," imo. To me, backtracking is when you get stuck and have to retrace your steps, looking for something you missed. If you're making progress towards a new goal, and you know that's what you're doing, it's not backtracking, even if you're returning to an earlier level.

Old 18th October 2019, 08:14 AM
Missing Hero

Bigger levels = longer gameplay. Banjo-Tooie worlds are perfect. I can't imagine modern game with Mario 64/B-K sized levels.

Old 18th October 2019, 09:38 PM
Fired

Rare needs to get over itself always having to do things in very even and tidy multiples of 10 or whatever. I'd like to either see more than 8/9 Kazooie-sized levels, maybe about 12, or, about 6/7 Tooie-sized levels, but each one has like 13/14 Jiggies in it.

For the sake of getting their money's worth out of level themes, I opt for the second. But it's been ages since the last B-K and I also think the next proper entry in the series should start small, so idk.

Last edited by qwertykins76; 18th October 2019 at 09:41 PM.

Old 18th October 2019, 09:41 PM
Missing Hero

What do you think about Yooka-Laylee levels? There are only 5 worlds and 2 hubs but they are HUGE and gameplay is so long.

Old 18th October 2019, 09:45 PM
Fired

I think if they're gonna insist on levels THAT big, they need to find a way to break it up somehow. Most people don't wanna spend 6 hours trudging along the same level before it finally ends.

Expanding worlds like Yooka did is a step in the right direction, bu may not have been executed properly. All I know is, the tight, smaller level design of B-K1 really made things feel polished and cohesive, and with the attitude video games have these days where everything has to be BIGGER to impress, I'd really prefer it if a new Banjo stuck with what we know already works.

User Tag List