Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > General > Media Shack

Media Shack Film nuts, music maestros and TV junkies - jump on in the media frenzy and get with the gossip of all the latest acts you can't afford to miss.

Old 25th April 2015, 04:54 AM
Alakazam Alakazam is offline 4 Highscores
Spice ɬ Wolf

Total Awards: 14
Thread Starter RWP Note Medal Awesome Default Medal Mystery Three Mystery Two 
Rate The Last Album You Listened To

i spent this entire morning laying in bed in a near-existential crisis trying to remember whether or not i owned Panic [now sic] At The Disco's Pretty. Odd., and when digging through my closet to find my copy of The Breeders' Last Splash to show nills after she reblogged CANNONBALL on tumblr, i realized that i do, in fact, own it despite having zero recollection of actually ever purchasing it (which would explain my confusion earlier this morning)

so now i'm relistening to it for the first time in approximately 5 or 6 years, and in the back of my mind i always had this idea of it being "not A Fever You Can't Sweat Out, but still a cute homage to the Beatle Boys of yesteryear"; upon having to begun playing it, i've realized that it's in fact every bit as trite and poorly aged (despite only being 7 years old) as is commonly believed

AFYCSO is legitimately one of my favorite records of the mid 00s; despite it being on the very thin line between Fusecore Jams and BoysLikeGirls-core Pop Punk, and despite it being an album full of pseudointellectual chuck palahniuk callbacks, something about it just feels genuine and timeless - this is in stark contrast to the entirety of Pretty. Odd., which only gives off a feeling of inauthenticity

the ironic thing about this album is the inner turmoil in the band around the time of the album's recording in artistic direction and the future of PATD (the removal then later reinstatement of the ! in the band name being one of the more amusing results of this; the spinoff band The Young Veins not so much) - both the Beatles and Beach Boys faced similar dysfunction and put out some of their best works in their times of struggle, whereas the best this album can muster is to put out a flat (yet consistent) imitation of those two bands

i anticipate this album to see a sort of weird nostalgia revival in the relatively near future by millennials, but don't be fooled - Pretty. Odd. is anything but odd, and a far more appropriate album title would have been Pretty. Boring.

4.3/10

3 user(s) liked this post.
Old 25th April 2015, 09:20 PM
Spice ɬ Wolf

the max levine ensemble - ben weasel split 7"

genius album, 10/10

Old 25th April 2015, 09:43 PM
Formerly Fan the Man

Cherry Bomb - Tyler, the Creator

I'm pretty iffy on Tyler already but this 'bum was pretty garb. 3/10

Old 26th April 2015, 03:34 AM
Spice ɬ Wolf

the brave little abacus - okumay

i could gush on about this band for probably hours but this ep, like every record they made, is a 10/10 no question

i don't actually think i'd give the ben weasel split by TMLE a 10/10 in retrospect because the last 3 tracks are just ben weasel talking and then a kiss cover (and even ironically covering kiss is still pretty bad), but the first four songs on that album ****ing rip, i'll give it an 8/10 in reality

Old 26th April 2015, 03:51 AM
Friend of Justice

Total Awards: 8
Awesome Default Medal INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On Rarity 
Talking Heads 77. Great album. Everyone knows Psycho Killer but I really like Don't Worry About The Government. I can't give it a rating yet. It is a Tentative Decision. Every time I listen to it, I get a New Feeling.

Old 26th April 2015, 03:58 AM
Formerly BanjoBoy123

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
roomic cube - takako minekawa

9/10 first shibuya kei album i've listened to, and i'm kinda having a "phase", if anyone has recommendations shoot em to me pl0x. very cute/laid back music with a specific influence. it's cool to hear stuff that's kinda distant from western musical theory.

1 user(s) liked this post.
Old 7th July 2015, 07:23 AM
Formerly Raptor jeezus

Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Buring Star IV Vol II: No Hope For Tomorrow

easily like an 8/10

Old 7th July 2015, 08:47 AM
Spice ɬ Wolf

craft spells - idle labor

great and classic bedroom dream pop jams

9.73/10

Old 26th November 2015, 02:16 PM
Spice ɬ Wolf

green day - ¬°dos!

it was really good

i cant believe green day made a good album in the 2010s/10

Old 26th November 2015, 08:01 PM
"Owned"

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiffgurl View Post
original post
Pretty odd remains to be one of my top 10 all time albums

Old 27th November 2015, 05:56 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 5
INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B1K1 
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

Eh it was okay.

Old 5th October 2017, 04:11 PM
Spice ɬ Wolf

Childish Gambino - Camp

i think about this album a lot. it really fascinates me because there aren't as many albums with both really high points and really low points like this one, and i always struggle to figure out how much i like this kind of record. i love the opening song, i love firefly, and bonfire is like...the new testament of corny rap punchlines and i'll always unabashedly have a fetish for those. but god, some of those corny rap punchlines elsewhere on this album are just bad, and the production just wears SO THIN on you by the end. but then, that monologue at the end of the record. god i had to stop myself from crying at it the other day, but it hits me in way too many places. i can relate disgustingly hard to letting a girl and her petty friends in middle school causing you lifelong-lasting psychological issues, and it's a subject that not very many human beings have the tact to appropriately discuss. i've always said that i overall like donald glover as a person and an artist, and i think that i overall like this record

6.6/10

Futurecop! - It's Forever, Kids

oh god where was this album all my life?! nills introduced me to this thing about a year or two ago, and i only recently started pursuing it on my own...this album is all super sugary 80s edm pop jams, with a few rap-ish moments, but it's way more special than what its parts should seemingly add up to. some of the buildups and arpeggios can be same-y, but it gives off such a lush and vibrant aural image that it takes a lot for me to notice. also the street hawk songs are super, super dreamy and could have fit into any of my 2011 summer nightwalk dream pop playlists. i'm gonna be listening to this album a lot...in the future!

9.891/10

Me in Capris - For Those Who Think You

this is the 2015 album by the dude from the brave little abacus, who i wrote a review for earlier this in this thread. i never listened to this record until yesterday, and because of tbla's member's ages at the time of their old albums, i went into it expecting what had happened to michael jordan touchdown pass. mjtp, for those of you who didn't ghost the 00s folk punk scene from its internet outskirts, was the younger brother of "famed" act johnny hobo & the freight trains' pat schneeweis, michael. he put out an exceptional album at like 16 years old, called Cash, Money, Etc., and later in life released things that were still great, but much more mellowed out lyrically. turns out i was right, this album still rips but it doesn't quite punch as hard as discomfort or masked dancers. to be fair though, i don't think anything ever will.

7.77/10

2 user(s) liked this post.
Old 11th October 2017, 05:38 AM
Bunnycomb

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
11/10

Old 16th October 2017, 01:13 AM
Spice ɬ Wolf

Eminem - The Eminem Show

imagine the discourse on japanese message boards amongst gaijin hiphop fans about the amount of times that eminem references elvis presley

i have to drop 0.9 because of the limp bizkit dis on "without me" though. sorry em but that isn't cool

9.1/10

Old 20th October 2017, 06:33 PM
Spice ɬ Wolf

TWIABP - Josh is Dead/Formlessness

i loved this band hella back in the twinkle daddy days of net-music scene****ery, and these two EPs were pretty much all they had. fav song on either of these albums will always be Be Neon With Me, but Eyjafjallajokull Dance is a close contender, and both EPs are really just great and i super miss this time period of life/music. 9.420/10

TWIABP - Whenever, if Ever

revisited last night - when it's good it's REALLY good, and the vocals are still appealing to my own personal nuanced taste in cracked, whiny white dude vocals. a few moments that feel like foreshadowing in retrospect, but i really loved this nonetheless. some of the instrumental arrangements are stunningly beautiful at times, and i actually think the outro is cool albeit corny. 7.8/10 - ian cohen, pitchfork.com

TWIABP - Harmlessness

you know that christgau bomb thing he just uses to respond to shitty albums with? well,

/10

TWIABP - Always Foreign

actually really liked this record on release, and i think i still do, but the last few days of interacting with a currently-estranged member of this band kind of sours a bit of the message on this record. a lot of the political songs are still on point, and it's important to get people talking about the current political climate so i'm appreciative of that. it's just weird to see the turn this band has taken for being one of the many small-time midwest emo bands i fell in love with ~7 years ago. i'm glad this shit never happened to palmkite, jesus christ.

(POTUS #) 45 (donald trump) / 60

Last edited by Alakazam; 20th October 2017 at 06:35 PM.

User Tag List