Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > General > Media Shack

Media Shack Film nuts, music maestros and TV junkies - jump on in the media frenzy and get with the gossip of all the latest acts you can't afford to miss.

Old 16th August 2015, 05:06 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B2K1 
Gonna throw out another recommendation for Redline and now Lupin IIIrd: Jigen's Gravestone.

I've mentioned how much I love Redline before, it's a movie that was done in traditional animation over the course of seven years. It's Anime Death Race 2000, in space, on a planet populated by a robot army trying to hide secret tools of war. It's directed by Takeshi Koike, and it's arguably one of the most well-animated, well-drawn films ever produced, and easily one of the best things Madhouse has ever made alongside things such as Perfect Blue, Paranoia Agent, My Love Story and Earnest Evans for the Mega CD.

Jigen's Gravestone is an OVA for Lupin IIIrd, and it's the only piece of Lupin IIIrd related stuff I've seen outside of Hayao Miyazaki's Castle of Cagliostro. It's also directed by Takeshi Koike, and it's a completely different film entirely from Cagliostro and also it's ****ing awesome. It has great art that's sometimes very similar to Redline, and rather than being slower-paced like Cagliostro, it's almost constantly moving, throwing out some really fantastic action scenes, and some shorter scenes of pure tension.

While I'm at it, I'll recommend Hyouka. It is absolutely nothing like either of these, it's just a fun little moe show, but some of the scenes in the first episode are just amazingly well animated, and the animation quality of the show is very high in general, as with pretty much anything produced by Kyoto Animation from (I assume) Fullmetal Panic to Nichijou, Free and Sound! Euphonium.

Last edited by The Colonel; 16th August 2015 at 05:13 AM.

Old 16th August 2015, 09:34 AM
Lord of Games

Total Awards: 2
Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Jigen's Gravestone is an OVA for Lupin IIIrd, and it's the only piece of Lupin IIIrd related stuff I've seen outside of Hayao Miyazaki's Castle of Cagliostro. It's also directed by Takeshi Koike, and it's a completely different film entirely from Cagliostro and also it's ****ing awesome. It has great art that's sometimes very similar to Redline, and rather than being slower-paced like Cagliostro, it's almost constantly moving, throwing out some really fantastic action scenes, and some shorter scenes of pure tension.
Dude, you should check out more Lupin III stuff. The original anime series from the 70's are all fantastic- I'm most familiar with the second series (red coat) and it's pretty damn awesome.

There's a new series coming out this year, too, and it's looking really good. I'm really looking forward to it.

I wouldn't recommend the Fujiko Mine series from a few years back, though. Wasn't a big fan of it.

Old 17th August 2015, 12:10 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

INFECTED - B2K1 
Have I tossed out any recommendations for Shirobako around here yet? It's an anime about the hardships of a bunch of employees at an animation company struggling with production setbacks. So, an animation company. It's well-animated, it's funny, it's tense, and it spends a lot of its spare time talking about the inner workings of a Japanese animation studio.

It was directed by Tsutomu Mizushima, who's notable for directing Squid Girl, Girls und Panzer, the OVA for +Tic Nee-San and the currently in-progress anime adaptation of Prison School. From what I've seen of his work, Shirobako included, he's a really goddamn good director when it comes to comedy.

Old 20th August 2015, 08:06 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

INFECTED - B2K1 

I need to find this manga, because it owns

Old 20th August 2015, 10:09 PM
Bunnycomb

Re-watching naruto. Currently on episode 5. Reason is that the manga is over so Shippuden is gonna reach an end soon. So i might aswell see it again and how it ends.

Old 21st August 2015, 02:35 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

INFECTED - B2K1 
First season of Gatchaman Crowds ended with with a Director's Cut episode that has yet to be officially licensed outside of Japan in which the main character traps an evil space alien soul demon man inside her baps. Overall, I would recommend it.

Old 23rd August 2015, 08:07 PM
Lord of Games

INFECTED - B1K1 
Finished all of Inuyasha just in time before school starts. It was pretty satisfying. Probably won't watch much anime till next vacation though.

Old 24th August 2015, 06:35 AM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 3
RWP Podcast INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence 
Right now I'm juggling Hunter x Hunter, One Piece, Dragon Ball, and Gatchaman Crowds. I know I'll never finish them all at once, so I plan to take a break before I start Dragon Ball Z. I also might take a breather from One Piece after I finish East Blue.

Old 24th August 2015, 06:59 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
Right now I'm juggling Hunter x Hunter, One Piece, Dragon Ball, and Gatchaman Crowds. I know I'll never finish them all at once, so I plan to take a break before I start Dragon Ball Z. I also might take a breather from One Piece after I finish East Blue.
I recommend watching through all of Crowds as soon as possible, it gets better and better as you go through it. And remember to watch the Director's Cut on a streaming site or something since you need it to get full context for the ending and it isn't available anywhere outside Japan legally, at least to my knowledge.

1 user(s) liked this post.
Old 24th August 2015, 05:12 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 3
RWP Podcast INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence 
I'm watching it with my friend who's super into it so I'm sure he won't let me go without the Director's Cut. Thanks for the tip!

Old 24th August 2015, 06:37 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

INFECTED - B2K1 

1 user(s) liked this post.
Old 28th August 2015, 05:46 PM
Bunnycomb

Well Naruto is pretty good. Am on episode 37. Interesting to notice the political and psychological dilemmas this early on. I mean i am friggin scared of dogs so . This stuff was just not so easy to understand for my teenage mind at first year of high school. Kinda looking forward to Shippuden now to be honest. I mean its already soon going to be over. So i can watch all in one swipe

I mean its one of anime that usually stick to the plot mostly. Its not many anime who can do that without some 15 year old girl popping in but sounding like a 5 year old kid. So thats good ^^

Old 28th August 2015, 06:50 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

INFECTED - B2K1 
Goons are telling me that Bakemonogatari, is good. These butt slap gifs they are posting may just be what push me to finally watch it.

Old 28th August 2015, 08:14 PM
Bunnycomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Goons are telling me that Bakemonogatari, is good. These butt slap gifs they are posting may just be what push me to finally watch it.
- Google searched it..
- Sees high school "Closes window"

Here. If you want to watch some divine awesomeness trying to suck out misforturne from a lucky person with round firm drawn boobs. Then Binbougami ga! is for you

Not that i watch it when i eat something. But when i have time.

Old 28th August 2015, 09:01 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokai View Post
- Google searched it..
- Sees high school "Closes window"

Here. If you want to watch some divine awesomeness trying to suck out misforturne from a lucky person with round firm drawn boobs. Then Binbougami ga! is for you

Not that i watch it when i eat something. But when i have time.
I'm gonna crush you

User Tag List