Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > General > Media Shack

Media Shack Film nuts, music maestros and TV junkies - jump on in the media frenzy and get with the gossip of all the latest acts you can't afford to miss.

Old 15th October 2017, 04:37 PM
Friend of Justice

Total Awards: 9
You're Appreciated! Awesome Default Medal INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On 
Blade Runner: 2049 Thread

Let's have a thread on Blade Runner: 2049, where we discuss our opinions on the movie and the original. Please use spoiler tags, since the movie is still relatively new.

I saw it last night after I watched the original for the fourth time. I think the film manages to do its own thing while capturing the vibe of the original. I also like how the movie seemed to deliberately avoid having too many scenes in the city. Seeing the outer parts of California made the world feel more fleshed out.

Spoiler: (highlight to view)
I'm still unsure about how I feel on the topic of Kd6-3.7's relationship with Joi. I know that Joi's feelings were artificial. That was the point of the giant pink Joi near the end, right? To show that K's Joi was just telling him what he wanted to hear, showing him what he wanted to see. The entire time she was following her programming.

However, aren't her feelings as real as K's? In the end, he was just a regular Replicant. He was programmed as much as she was, right?

Movies that leave you with questions are always better than movies that don't.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the movie.

Old 16th October 2017, 02:24 AM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
This was the best movie I've seen that came out this year. I thought it delivered an honorable decades-later sequel similarly to what Fury Road did for the Mad Max franchise.

I just got back from seeing it now so I'll probably have more to say once I let things marinate for a bit but
I kept anticipating throughout the movie that since Joi is a Wallace product, she might have been being used as some drone device for the Wallace ops to keep tabs on K with, even if she was consciously trying to be supportive of him. After all, K was filling her in on all the secrets he was uncovering and she has the biggest in on his private life. There's incidence of that possibility when Joi summons Mariette (the callgirl) to K's apartment based on what she purports to be her own independent rationale ("I know you liked her. She's real... you want something real."), opening the door for her to plant the tracer bug in K's jacket. Joi shows some signs of defending K when she tells Mariette to leave the house the morning after while she's examining the wooden horse, but she doesn't appear soon enough to prevent the tracer from being successfully planted.

I don't think this actually ended up being the case as things progressed of course, but the possibility seemed pretty open for a while.

As far as the reality of her feelings goes, I would also consider one of the overarching themes of this movie--the Pinocchio complex and "miracles". It's left to be a nebulous question, which like you mentioned, I think is great. But if replicants managed to bear children, then there's the question of whether or not an AI can learn to love or feel emotion genuinely, sort of transcending the superficial version of it that their programming normally enables. The existence of Joi's own "real" feelings for K might have been a miracle to parallel Deckard and Rachel's. The other hand is, "reality" of the feelings aside, if all of that was enough for K, does it matter?

Also, I thought it was interesting how K's recurrent animal motif was a horse, whereas Deckard's was a unicorn. Unicorns are basically horses but their horn is an element that upgrades them to fantasy. So in essence, K has the more mundane animal motif compared to Deckard. If you think about the idea that for a while as K explores his case, he has the impression that he is in fact the child he was looking for all along, which Freysa (the one-eyed secret replicant leader) shoots down ("Oh... you imagined it was you?"). So it makes me wonder if the use of that horse as the mundane animal sorta signifies a denial of K as being the "special fantasy miracle role"... or maybe I'm reading into that way too much.

Either way, there's a recurrent storybook quality through Blade Runner that I like. I mentioned Pinocchio already, and there's already been a presence of that in the original movie, where J.F. Sebastian is a kind of Gepetto, making his little toy robot friends. Dreams with unicorns, the replicants as basically being like a kind of superhuman magical children (especially Pris, there's like a kind of ferality to her with her facepaint and overemotions and acrobatics) in that they only live for a scant few years, Tyrell as a sort of Wizard of Oz character, both Tyrell and Roy having pet birds at different points gives a kind of mystical quality, etc. There's something about the eighties in general, but in movies especially, that I think carries a lot more of a whimsical, magical atmosphere, in contrast with the brutalism and minimalism of 2010s aesthetics, especially in cyberpunk, but at least some of these fantasy themes carried through both.

Ooh, and Gaff's cameo where he makes the origami sheep was great, which I'm guessing was a nod to "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

Last edited by pastiche; 16th October 2017 at 04:24 AM.

Old 16th October 2017, 05:58 AM
Quote of the Year '10 - '11

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHeroOfTime View Post
Let's have a thread on Blade Runner: 2049, where we discuss our opinions on the movie and the original. Please use spoiler tags, since the movie is still relatively new.

I saw it last night after I watched the original for the fourth time. I think the film manages to do its own thing while capturing the vibe of the original. I also like how the movie seemed to deliberately avoid having too many scenes in the city. Seeing the outer parts of California made the world feel more fleshed out.

I'm still unsure about how I feel on the topic of Kd6-3.7's relationship with Joi. I know that Joi's feelings were artificial. That was the point of the giant pink Joi near the end, right? To show that K's Joi was just telling him what he wanted to hear, showing him what he wanted to see. The entire time she was following her programming.

However, aren't her feelings as real as K's? In the end, he was just a regular Replicant. He was programmed as much as she was, right?

Movies that leave you with questions are always better than movies that don't.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the movie.
My take on that was that it was part of reality crashing in on K, but it also ended up being his turning point. He realized that while Joi was just following her programming (even her name for him, 'Joe', was just a slight spin on Joi), he could go down a different road. His own Roy Batty moment, though I think that was a bit on-the-nose, what with the Tears in Rain accompaniment at the end. Not gonna complain about getting to listen to that song in theaters for the first time, though.

Goddamn, though. What a great experience in theaters. The original Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies of all-time, and this definitely went above and beyond my expectations. Shame that not many people are going to see it, though.

User Tag List