Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 29th May 2014, 08:01 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 10
You're Appreciated! Bashful Imagination Game On Reminiscence 
I've been playing this game pretty much non-stop since release. I was hyped when it announced, but by shutting myself off from all future trailers and announcements I'm now having a blast. I did get the first collectors edition. I honestly don't care if I'm missing some of the content I know it will get released to everyone later and anyone who bitches about graphics can go cry me a river. This is the next generation of gaming. Everything on PS4 up until this point has just been extra pretty. This is the first experience that really shows off what the PS4 is capable of when it comes to improving gameplay and I'm enjoying every damn minute of it.

Old 29th May 2014, 09:41 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
I don't own this game and have no intention of getting it in the future. I don't mean to crap on game/thread, but from what I've seen everyone is disappointed with it.

First off: Yes, the graphics do matter. This was advertised as a next gen game and Ubisoft slowly took more and more away as time went on - hoping no one would notice.
E3 2012 vs Final Product 2014

Second: The game fails to do it's own thing properly. It's a crappy GTA V clone.
Watch_Dog's Gameplay Issues

I think it's safe to say this generation of gaming has entered a new war. Back in the 80s-90s, it was the Bit War: Nintendo's 16 Bits vs Sega's 32 Bits. Now it's the Specs War where everything must be 1080p in 60 fps (including multiplayer) now.

People are sick of getting lied to with "Bullshots" and broken promises.
Capcom continues to add on disc DLC.
Call of Duty has become the "devil" of video game design.
Content on any game is purposely taken off for DLC or a sequel that will come out in a year.
Mobile games are taking over with stupid apps like Flappy Bird and shameless clones.
Indie games are doing the same exact thing.
EA still exists for some reason.
Sports games still exists for some reason.
(You get the idea...)

I'm aware this has been going on for a while now, but video games are just more expensive now and people don't want to waste their money. Sandbox games have never really interested me in the first place, but as a gamer seeing all this go downhill is painful to watch. I know the video game industry is (hopefully) headed toward a market crash and maybe that's for the better. I know there are some really great modern games out there, but they're getting harder and harder to find.

Maybe I'm exaggerating, maybe Watch_Dogs is just another "flavor of the year" game like Saints Row, ect.
I just wish developers would give up on one gameplay gimmick and then over-hyping it.

Edit: Of course some one gameplay gimmicks turn out really great: Majora's Mask's Real Time gimmick, Mario Sunshine's Fludd gimmick, Mario Galaxy/Galaxy 2's gravity gimmick, Kirby Triple Deluxe's Hypernova/Layered Platforming gimmick.

Usually I roll my eyes when I see gimmicks, but that doesn't mean it can't be pulled off really swell; I just don't see it with Watch_Dogs. I've seen gameplay and I've learned you don't even have to enter some buildings to perform certain jobs because you just "camera hop" to the end of the level/security computer.

If there's something you guys see that I don't, feel free to point it out. Remember this is just from an outsiders point of view. I apologize for the "I'm sick of Modern Gaming" speech I've said a million times on this forum, but I was really looking forward to this like everyone else. I'm just as disappointed as others are.

Last edited by TRBB; 29th May 2014 at 09:56 PM.

Old 29th May 2014, 10:02 PM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
Dude, that was impressive. It's like the unabomber manifesto for crazy gamers.

Old 29th May 2014, 10:08 PM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Total Awards: 13
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
I have to say... I'm not buying this game anymore after watching that second video.

Old 29th May 2014, 10:15 PM
Von Kriplespac

You're Appreciated! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Dude, that was impressive. It's like the unabomber manifesto for crazy gamers.
Different Opinions = Crazy. Got it.

But seriously, does no one else on this forum agree with me about gaming going downhill?
Games are just constantly bashed for being rehashes, racist, sexist, ect.
Just let me read an honest review so I can buy a disc and put it in my system and enjoy it. Is that too much to ask for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I have to say... I'm not buying this game anymore after watching that second video.
Yeah, that was the nail in the coffin for me too. Unless someone can really show us what this game can do.

Old 29th May 2014, 10:26 PM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBB View Post

But seriously, does no one else on this forum agree with me about gaming going downhill?
Just let me read an honest review so I can buy a disc and put it in my system and enjoy it. Is that too much to ask for?
Someone on this forum might agree with you, but it's not me. Your complaints aren't even consistent. You say that all people care about nowadays is graphical fidelity, but then complain that Watch_Dogs doesn't look pretty enough? You think that great modern games are harder and harder to find. Are you shitting me? I have 300 awesome games in my Steam library that I'll never play because I'm too busy with other awesome games.

If Call of Duty, Watch Dogs, etc don't interest you, then just don't play them. If you tell me what your favorite game from the 16-bit era or whatever you consider the golden age, there's probably ten that are better today. It's easy to look back in rose-colored glasses to say that gaming sucks now, but there was so much shit released back then it's unbelievable. Custer's Revenge anyone?

Seriously though, I've noticed that reddit has decided that this game is the epitome of all that is evil and wrong for some reason, and I don't understand it. Yes, it's an open-world sandbox game ala GTA. Who gives a damn? GTA is fun to me, just like Saints Row or Sleeping Dogs. So I'll pick up the game and have a goddamn blast, no matter what.

Old 29th May 2014, 10:44 PM
Von Kriplespac

You're Appreciated! 
I respect your opinion and I respect sandbox games. Grand Theft Auto 5 is the first sandbox game that has interesting me for a long time. Saints Row 3 and 4 looks like silly, mindless fun. Far Cry 3 looks pretty badass and my friend, who has similar tastes to mine, had the time of life with it.

I always enjoy the hype of other games I know I'll never play because...I don't know, it's just fun. When I join that hype, I see other people get excited, so I get excited to because that hype is contagious. When their favorite company craps on that game, I feel just as disappointed they do. I was curious about Watch_Dogs only to find out it goes into the "we can make that game better than you can" pile. It's a watered down GTA with "press x to do everything" added to it. This is from someone who was genially interested in GTA/Saints Row/Far Cry.

Maybe I'm just missing something about this title in particular.

Old 30th May 2014, 12:15 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 10
You're Appreciated! Bashful Imagination Game On Reminiscence 
The thing with Watch Dogs is that is making me enjoy it far more than GTAV is that I'm actually enjoying every aspect of the game. GTAV was a technical marvel, but when it comes to gameplay it had a solid campaign with a lot of side activities that while well designed weren't all that fun to take part in. In Watch Dogs I'm finding myself enjoying every aspect from story to side quests. They don't feel like chores and you aren't penalized for not knowing that you should be waiting to do a certain thing until later.

Unlike the people who over hyped Watch Dogs and are disappointed with it, I was disappointed with GTAV because I'd over hyped the franchise. It was my first GTA game and now that I'm a more grown up gamer who cares about things like progress and enjoyable content as opposed to just wrecking shit, I was disappointed with the game because it didn't feel fun to do everything the game had to offer. Even rampaging felt like a chore.

GTAV was a technical marvel, but Watch Dogs is more intent on creating interesting game play mechanics than making the prettiest game. I'm sure a sequel will fine tune the graphics and gameplay so that you won't be skipping entire fights(which I think is pretty cool by the way) and graphically things will look a whole lot better.

I refuse to be part of the gamer hive mind here. Watch Dogs is incredible, maybe not as graphically stunning as it was built up to be originally, but that was nearly 2 years before the game released and 9 months before we even had seen the true next generation of hardware. I'm enjoying every minute of this game.

Old 30th May 2014, 01:25 AM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Total Awards: 13
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
F**k it, I'm picking up Watch Dogs tomorrow along side Mario Kart 8. I generally love open world games and I will find out for myself if the game is as bad as people are saying.

Old 30th May 2014, 01:37 AM
Quote of the Year '10 - '11

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBB View Post

gaming isn't going downhill, but then again your post implies that your issue is with modern game journalism, which is indeed a giant shithole.

Old 30th May 2014, 02:40 AM
Formerly Fan the Man

You're Appreciated! 
Don't listen to the naysayers. You keep on raging against that machine. If people take notice, that means you're doing something right #FreeJahar

Old 30th May 2014, 06:03 AM
Best New Member ('13 - 14)

I enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out how to conplete the jobs wothout entering the building. It's not just x x x x job complete. You have to figure out how to use the tools the game gives you. There's plenty of shit to do, the city is large and feels alive, I'm still on the first chapter, and I don't care, I'm running around messing about with side quests and collectibles. The driving is absurd though, especially the motorcycles. Though the motorcycles are my favorite vehicles, so...

All in all, its a solid game, and not just a gta clone. If you want to run around waving a gun around, shooting everything like a lunatic, go ahead. If you want to stay in the shadows undetected, that's fine to. But don't hate a game that you haven't even played yourself.

Also, is GTA the only open world sandbox game allowed to exist? All I hear whenever one comes out set in modern times is, oh its a gta clone booo. Grow up. The story in this game is actually interesting and engaging, unlike gta games where its a drag you need to get through to blow things up more efficiently.

Old 30th May 2014, 06:15 AM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
Wow, it actually looks like a last gen game now, that sort of sucks. I haven't watched anything from after E3 either, and it almost does seem like just another GTA clone.

I hope the PC version looks more like the E3 one at the very least. The city looked empty in the release version.

And I use the term GTA clone very loosely for sandbox style games, with a similar visual style. The style from the E3 demo would have set it apart a bit more, like how Saints Row is set apart.

Last edited by DementedSun; 30th May 2014 at 06:21 AM.

Old 30th May 2014, 07:25 PM
Best New Member ('13 - 14)

I'm streaming Watch_Dogs!

Old 30th May 2014, 11:13 PM
Von Kriplespac

You're Appreciated! 
The gameplay I saw was the first few missions in story mode. All I saw was people failing to do stealth missions and then realizing they just have to "camera hop" to the security boxes and play simple connect-the-dots-like mini-games. Maybe the game just didn't make a good first impression and left a sour taste in my mouth.

Then I saw the video I posted earlier didn't help either. Again, the game was advertised as a next-gen game only fail at simplest of things. GTA V felt next-gen and it was on PS3 and 360! Even PC owners are disappointed with the final product.

Then the ending was spoiled to me (just like The Last of Us) because idiots sure love to ruin the fun for others by typing a misleading title. I didn't even know it was the ending until the main character started monologuing and the credits started rolling.

You press X once. That's it. That's the final boss.

I don't have to like the game, but I wanted to like it because it looked promising. Everyone else wanted to like it too.
If you like it, that's fine - I'm just getting sick being lied to.

I'd like to watch E3 coverage and actually get/pay for what I saw. Hyping a game is one thing, but why lie to the consumer at all? The people are going to notice, call you out on it and you'll just look bad in front of everyone.

False advertising isn't anything new, but everyone is sick of it. What does doing it in the first place even accomplish? This isn't about journalism or how good the game is in the end, it's just the developers being dicks for no reason what-so-ever.

On another note, yes video game journalism sucks, but that's why it's harder to find good games - no one is honest anymore. It's fun to buy a game on a whim once in a while, but I'm not going to blow my money on a game that may or may not be good just because no one out there has their head screwed on right.

As for shovel ware, (Custer's Revenge) it's been around back then and still around now (Flappy Bird) It will never go away. Nothing's changed there.

Yes, I still think gaming is going downhill. I liked it better when gamers were just gamers; we were alone and no one bothered us and they let us do our thing. Now every big company is trying to cash in, make themselves look hip and cool with commercials with 8 bit graphics and sound effects, ect. Where did all these people come from? Why do they want to join us all of a sudden?
Call me a hipster all you want, but I doubt I'll find one person who will say modern gaming is better than retro gaming.

Alright I'm done talking now. I'm just posting my thoughts. I apologize if I derailed this thread. I don't want to derail threads, but if I have to derail them to get my word out then I will. Yes you can call me out on bashing a game before playing it, but I like to do my research first and I'm sharing what I've found.

User Tag List