Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Archive > Latest News

Latest News Discuss the latest news stories from the front page.

Old 18th February 2009, 11:36 AM
is safe

Total Awards: 5
SteamLink Verified INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal Thread Starter RWP Bash Day 7 Participation Award 
It's not just Rare and it's not just companies in the VG industry. It's actually crazy how widespread this is in the UK. In any case, let's not turn this into another N&B opinion thread ok?

Best wishes to the folks at Rare especially those who come here regularly. I know first hand that even if you don't lose your job, it's awful seeing your friends go, morale is low and the fear that you'll be next doesn't go away for a while. I also know first hand how much it sucks to get made redundant as a recent victim of the declining economy.

Old 18th February 2009, 12:04 PM
Bunnycomb

Total Awards: 1
Basic Forum Rules 
It's a shame that so many companies including Rare have felt the rising cost of development, especially such a (I'm going to say it) skilled team of individuals.

I don't care what other people say, Rare are still my favourite developer, because they're not afraid to try new things. N&B was really rather a large leap from the old games, and I'm not denying it, but you've got to admire them for their sheer faith in making games that they want to make, not what a select group of narrow minded individuals want them to. If I'm honest, if they had made a classic Banjo game, sales would NOT be that much larger, because, quite frankly, shooters are 'the thing' now.

But they went against the flow and created an ingeniously clever, custom content physics-based vehicular platformer. You can't deny that Rare have a passion for ingenuity, alternative concepts, and ridiculous characters.

Yes, they had other ideas, but considering they weren't enthusiastic about either of the older concepts means that the games they produced would have been far below par. No enthusiasm = s**t games.

If you had got Bungie, Epic Games, or any other of those mainstream developers to make Nuts and Bolts, it would've been f**king appalling, because they:

1. Aren't used to making those sorts of games
2. Don't want to make those sorts of games (at least, that's the impression they give)

Rare is a one in a million developer, and I would be utterly heartbroken if something were to happen to them, and shame to at those who don't seem to give two s**ts about whether Rare dies or not. It's not just the developer, it's people's incomes, jobs and lives at stake. Shame on you.

Old 18th February 2009, 01:25 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vect 01 View Post
It's a shame that so many companies including Rare have felt the rising cost of development, especially such a (I'm going to say it) skilled team of individuals.

I don't care what other people say, Rare are still my favourite developer, because they're not afraid to try new things. N&B was really rather a large leap from the old games, and I'm not denying it, but you've got to admire them for their sheer faith in making games that they want to make, not what a select group of narrow minded individuals want them to. If I'm honest, if they had made a classic Banjo game, sales would NOT be that much larger, because, quite frankly, shooters are 'the thing' now.

But they went against the flow and created an ingeniously clever, custom content physics-based vehicular platformer. You can't deny that Rare have a passion for ingenuity, alternative concepts, and ridiculous characters.

Yes, they had other ideas, but considering they weren't enthusiastic about either of the older concepts means that the games they produced would have been far below par. No enthusiasm = s**t games.

If you had got Bungie, Epic Games, or any other of those mainstream developers to make Nuts and Bolts, it would've been f**king appalling, because they:

2. Don't want to make those sorts of games (at least, that's the impression they give)

Rare is a one in a million developer, and I would be utterly heartbroken if something were to happen to them, and shame to at those who don't seem to give two s**ts about whether Rare dies or not. It's not just the developer, it's people's incomes, jobs and lives at stake. Shame on you.
Truly well spoken, unlike some who would rather nitpick constantly at the tiniest of things. I enjoyed NaB, it really let my imagination flow and it was fun. Rare deserve to live, seeing the lives of people there lose to the Economy would be too much. Woolworth's closure was one thing, but a closure of Rare is just going too far.

Old 18th February 2009, 02:26 PM
Brash Breegull

INFECTED - B1K1 
I guess I just don't have the patience for them anymore. Viva Pinata was the only current Rare game I actually enjoyed, but that was an ok game. Everything else just isn't good.

You're right, they are a company and they are comprised of people with jobs and lives, I should be more respectful of that fact and keep my anger in the Banjo forums. I apologize.

I do hope everything goes well for everyone. My prayers go out to them hoping they come out in good hands.

Last edited by Banjoman; 18th February 2009 at 02:32 PM.

Old 18th February 2009, 08:19 PM
Mecha-Grunty

INFECTED - B1K1 
Rare is not pressured enough, Aparently.

Old 18th February 2009, 09:28 PM
Brash Breegull

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vect 01 View Post

This has inspired me to have more faith in Rare that I have lately. I'm overreacting over this whole Banjo crap.

Old 18th February 2009, 09:45 PM
Favorite Departed Member ('13 - 14)

Total Awards: 3
Reminiscence RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
This doesn't affect my opinion of Rare in the least bit, either they please me with the next Banjo game or there's no point in supporting them anymore, if they're not making anything I'm interested in. Banjo is the only series I really care about that Rare makes. If I'm not enjoying the games, there's no reason to like the company anymore, regardless of whether or not they're having some trouble.

Old 18th February 2009, 09:49 PM
On DKVine

Total Awards: 6
INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Wiki-Master Rarity Awesome Default Medal 
So if you don't like it, no one else is allowed?

Rare exists to serve you?

Old 18th February 2009, 09:58 PM

I recall stating none of that. You're putting words into my fingers. Don't.

Old 18th February 2009, 10:09 PM
Brash Breegull

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightVestige View Post
So if you don't like it, no one else is allowed?

Rare exists to serve you?

I'm sorry what? When did he ever say that? All he said was he doesn't care not that nobody should.

What I would really like is for Rare to make some new game like Conker or a new IP, preferably a furry animal type game, to get my mind off Banjo and back onto some high quality Rareness.

Last edited by samf; 18th February 2009 at 10:13 PM.

Old 18th February 2009, 10:13 PM

Well what I'm saying is that there's no point in liking a company if it's not providing you with anything you're interested in. It's like someone liking Bungie for Halo 2 because they played it alot, but not caring for much else. The games I like are already released and done with, if there's no games I'm going to like in the forseeable future, why would I care about Rare anymore? I'm interested to see what they plan on doing with the Banjo series, but if it goes down the obvious route of "more vehicles" there's no point in bothering with Rare anymore. I, however, have the patience to wait and see what happens.

Old 18th February 2009, 11:32 PM
Clanker

Total Awards: 2
RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
Rare had all the fansites anxious and posting new theories and discussions as soon as they announced the release of the new game. They then proceeded to tell us it was still a banjo game. Unfortunately, we now know that Rare made one of the biggest mistakes of their life with Banjo.
Rare states that they made the change because they wanted to change the Banjo formula and they wanted to deliver a new experience. This shows just how much they listen to us, as one look at a page of one of their fansites would have showed them that all we really wanted was a traditional Banjo game like we had 10 years ago. What's worse is that Rare had actually started on a traditional Banjo game, but decided it was too outdated.
It it had only been 1 or 2 years since the release of the last Banjo game anf Rare had announced plans for a traditional game, then the new game wouldn't have been as rejected. However, after 8 YEARS without a new banjo game, their idea for an updated Banjo game was simply unacceptable.
I've been a fan of Rare for over 10 years now, but I think I'm finally starting to lose hope in them.

Old 18th February 2009, 11:39 PM
Glowbo

Bah. I'm not worried. Rare will probably make it through this just fine, just like they made it through the time when loads of staff left in like... 2000 or whenever it was.

Shorter development times might even be a good thing if they can still come out with decent material.

WOAH... I suddenly had a random thought that they'll do an episodic Conker series over XBLA... and... now hang on that could actually be quite good... But it doesn't fit in with what this whole 'appealing to casual' attitude... or does it?

MAKE IT NOW RARE!

Old 19th February 2009, 12:11 AM
Glowbo

All Rare needs to do is play it safe, and not to take any risks in the future.

Best wishes to the Rare employees, hopefully everything is figured out soon.

Old 19th February 2009, 03:34 AM
Retired

Total Awards: 11
RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 Basic Forum Rules RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award 
Well, after playing NaB, I'm not going to lie, I don't see how they could get an even worse team to make their games.

In other words, I'm expecting them to get better from now on. When you're at the bottom, the only place you can go...

Last edited by Avarice; 19th February 2009 at 03:41 AM.