Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop

Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop SNS? Bottle's Revenge? Share your thoughts on the mysteries of the Banjo series and discuss the new Stop 'n' Swop features in Nuts and Bolts and the XBLA games

Old 19th May 2008, 07:05 PM
Jinjo

Lightbulb Stop N Swop Theory Using Cold Swap

Greetings, I am FirionEdwards, somewhat new to this forum, but not ignorant to Rare Witch Project. In my sleep last night, my mind started wandering, and I realized a way Stop N Swop could have worked. I immediately wrote my ideas down, and am ready to share them with you. Keep in mind this though: This theory only works if BK and BT can store data in the central RAM of the N64. I do not think that Stop N Swop still exists as tangible events in BK and BT, but this could have been how it worked.

I believe that BT had the majority of Stop N Swop, and that BT also held the unlockables from SNS. BK must be used only for sending data for the theory to work.

After completing Banjo Tooie, Rareware must have planned SNS to take place immediately afterward. You would meet up with a certain NPC (NPC 1, or as I assume a revived Bottles) who would explain SNS to you. However, you would have to work for it. NPC1 would give you a mission, (for example, defeating Grunty in Replay with Blue Eggs only or beating the Canary Mary race in X'X time), which upon completion would reveal a Sandcastle Code. NPC1 would also give you a item (maybe a pallete-swapped Doubloon or Witchyworld Ticket), which purpose will be explained later.

After turning on BK and collecting the eggs and Ice Key, you would see a cinematic showing a secret area in Grunty's Lair being opened. Most likely this would be the 'Beauty Machine Door'. Inside would be a second NPC (NPC2, or as I assume Blackeye) who would help transfer the SNS data.

The SNS data would be split into a binary code stored on the N64's central RAM, like 0000000 for a game other than BK or no eggs. This code would start BT normally. But with a binary of 1111111, which would register as all SNS eggs and the Ice Key, BT would start differently. The intro panoramic into Spiral Mountain would be replaced by a cutscene with NPC2 explaining that the SNS was a success and that you can pick up the items at a certain location (Assuming NPC2 is Blackeye, this location would be the chests in Jolly's).

Now for the items I mentioned earlier. You would have to load the file you completed the missions with and present the items to NPC2. The items would be an anti-cheat device to prevent you from getting the SNS items for free. After all, it just takes one person posting a code to spread it like wildfire over the Internet.

Upon reaqquiring the SNS items, a cinematic with yet another secret area (Quagmire Door?) would show, along with a way up (perhaps a Shock Spring Pad, that wouldnt be too hard to program...). Inside that area (or the Ridiculously Secret Area) would be a third NPC (NPC3 would probably be Heggy the Hen. This theory assumes that Heggy's Nest was not supposed to be in the final version). NPC3 would then exchange the SNS items for unlockables. Here are my assumptions of rewards:

1. Ice Key - Secret Stage (I think it unlikely that Mt. Fire Eyes or Fungus Forest would be it, as they became Hailfire Peaks and Fungi Forest. Perhaps a glimpse at the Giant's Lair or a old BK stage like Mumbo's Mountain?)

2. Red Egg - Bottle's Revenge/Hard Mode (The first of two multiplayer unlockables, a Hard Mode would cause an invincible Devil Bottles to constantly attack and harass/insult the player. A second player can plug in the controller and take control, triggering Bottle's Revenge as we know it.)

3. Blue Egg - Split-Up Anywhere (The second of two multiplayer unlockables, this would let Player 2 control Kazooie or Banjo and act as a Co - Op. Imagine the possiblilities...)

4. Green Egg - Dragon Kazooie (Pretty Self-Explanatory, as the Ice Key wouldnt be needed to trade for the Mega Glowbo.)

5. Pink Egg - Ability to choose Humba Wumba transformations (I can already imagine chasing Moggies with Banjosaurus, who wouldnt want that?)

6. Yellow Egg - Breegull Blaster Trigger on L (The sprites and technology are there, and L doesnt have a purpose, so this could work...)

7. Cyan Egg - Fly Anywhere (Those who saw the BK Beta video saw Banjo take off without a pad in TTC, so why not map it to Z+L?)

I wish to know what everyone thinks of this. I realize that there may be holes, and I will explain those on Wensday hopefully. Any questions?

Last edited by FirionEdwards; 19th May 2008 at 09:32 PM.

Old 19th May 2008, 09:07 PM
Glowbo

No questions, but good theory!
Nice what you thought the eggs would do

Old 19th May 2008, 09:35 PM
Jinjo

Thank you Zelda. I figured that some of the egg functions would be modes that players would like. Are you sure there isnt anything you would want to ask me about this theory?

Old 19th May 2008, 11:07 PM
Jinjo

good theory, but what about the ice key going to dk64?

Old 20th May 2008, 03:27 AM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFR
good theory, but what about the ice key going to dk64?
BK and DK64 were being tested before Banjo-Tooie was even out. SNS isn't a threeway between BK , DK64 , and BT.

Old 20th May 2008, 07:04 AM
Missing Hero

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Good theory.
I agree.Banjo-Kazooie is for SNS items,Banjo-Tooie is for SNS prizes.

Old 20th May 2008, 07:09 AM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Very well thought out theory, I like how this would've worked A secret stage would make sense, considering BT only had 90 jiggies.

Old 20th May 2008, 01:15 PM
Jinjo

Yes, I am ready to admit the holes in the theory, and counter said holes.

1. Nintendo Flaw
We all know perfectly well that Nintendo was the main reason SNS was pulled. They must have assumed that HotSwap would damage games and the system via data corruption. Nintendo probably didnt realize that other games could read the data from a ColdSwap though. They probably assumed that the data left behind was negligible, and wouldnt affect any games, which COULD have left a hole for Rare to implement SNS. But, I remember reading something that all N64s made after a certain date (late 1999, early 2000?) would not have leftover data on the central RAM. So that could be one flaw, as a new N64 bought around Tooie would have dashed SNS to pieces.
But if we got our hands on a pre-Tooie N64 in mint condition with expansion pak....

2. DK64 Ice Key Text Flaw
We know that due to the work of one of our own, we found that SNS clues were depicted in beta versions of BK and DK. This mainly includes the DK portrait in Banjo's room and the Banjo shower in DK's treehouse. RWP also found the text 'icekey' in the final version of the game. I suggest that DK was also a reciever only, and BK was meant to send only the Ice Key to DK and the Eggs to BT. This seems even more plausible than BT having an extra level because it had almost hit the limit with memory, and something like an extra level would have pushed the limits. But if DK took some of the load....
I imagine that the Ice Key would unlock an extra mode rather than another level (DK64 is huge enough as is, and I doubt there would be a secret level worthwhile in the DK universe...). I theorize a Co - Op mode. The technology exists in Deathmatch, as up to four Kongs can control their own camera and motion in a well-set camera angle. Imagine re-enacting DKC with Donkey and your younger sibling tagging along as Diddy...
Woulda sold millions....

Those are the two biggest flaws I can think of, and their respective counters.
Any questions about these? Feel free to ask, cmon...

Old 20th May 2008, 01:28 PM
Missing Hero

SNS Patent from June 1999 mentioned that Big Icy Key would open Huge Blocked Icy Cave and behind them would be new area.
We rumoured that Huge Blocked Icy Cave was in Crystal Caves level in DK64.
So ice key would open new area.

Old 20th May 2008, 04:11 PM
Jinjo

Hmm...
You raise a good point BanjoPL. I completely forgot about HBIC... But I really do not think that the new area would be a new world. Is there really a level from the DK universe that fans were clamoring over to be in DK64? I mean, Jungle Japes was the first friggin level.

Perhaps a secret bonus feature would be activated there...

Maybe I should go power up my old DK64 and go explore Crystal Caves, maybe there was something I missed...

Old 21st May 2008, 09:36 AM
Missing Hero

Now there is nothing to find in Crystal Caves.SNS was removed from DK64...

Last edited by BanjoPL; 21st May 2008 at 09:41 AM.

Old 21st May 2008, 12:25 PM
Jinjo

Ah. I see now. Perhaps the Ice Key was meant for Banjo Tooie instead...
DK64 must have been the SNS prototype while Tooie was being developed until Nintendo shut SNS down.

Old 21st May 2008, 02:57 PM
Missing Hero

Yep now there is question:
SNS was 100% removed or small part of it still exist (like unlocking Bottles' Revenge in Banjo-Tooie via SNS Egg) ???

Old 21st May 2008, 03:13 PM
Jinjo

I believe parts of it exist, but without key components. I believe the missions to reward with the SNS codes and the transfer sequence was removed, but the rewards exist. Look at the codes section, almost everything you can do with Gameshark was included in the possible rewards (flight, Bottles' Revenge, Co op, transformations, etc.). I never once mentioned Gameshark in my theory, which means that SOMETHING still exists. We have the rewards, but no way to earn them other than Gameshark. Like finding the X on a treasure map without the map itself....

Old 21st May 2008, 06:33 PM
Missing Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirionEdwards View Post
I believe parts of it exist, but without key components. I believe the missions to reward with the SNS codes and the transfer sequence was removed, but the rewards exist. Look at the codes section, almost everything you can do with Gameshark was included in the possible rewards (flight, Bottles' Revenge, Co op, transformations, etc.). I never once mentioned Gameshark in my theory, which means that SOMETHING still exists. We have the rewards, but no way to earn them other than Gameshark. Like finding the X on a treasure map without the map itself....
Great stuff What you said IS VERY GOOD
I think that small transfer sequence still exist but is very hidden.It will unlock ONLY Bottles'
Revenge mode in BT.But this is just my opinion.
We must wait untill Nuts&Bolts...

Last edited by BanjoPL; 21st May 2008 at 06:48 PM.