Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop

Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop SNS? Bottle's Revenge? Share your thoughts on the mysteries of the Banjo series and discuss the new Stop 'n' Swop features in Nuts and Bolts and the XBLA games

Old 13th March 2007, 11:59 AM
Jolly Rodger

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
good summary CBM, also do you think rare was trying to give us a glue when they did that or teasing us or just telling us that it wasn't there?

Old 13th March 2007, 09:52 PM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Well the latest egg we discovered was the brown one, and the first egg was purple, but rare decided to bring up the orange, so it may have some significance.

Old 14th March 2007, 02:34 AM
Brash Breegull

Random Award 
Can I see the Jetpac pic with Coolboy man's name. I found that amazing how Rare mentioned you. That would mean they do read this. HIRE ME FOR GAME DESIGN!

Old 14th March 2007, 04:27 AM
Jinjo

Well, this is big news, worth re-logging in for.
My speculations for this, including the obvious: The new eggs were "BT exclusive." What would this mean? Well, they didn't end up being used, but if there were to be new eggs in BT, then obviously, the eggs weren't planned on being exclusive to Stop 'n' Swop, unless more than just BK were planned to connect with BT or these eggs were planned to be used to initiate SNS. That might mean that "?" eggs might just have been to unlock things in the game, and that there would be extra unlocks, maybe a hidden move or new multiplayer character, or perhaps a 2-player counter-op mode, quite like how they are used now.
On the other hand, the eggs could be received by or given to a different game, which is fairly unlikely, but possible, since we know about connections with DK 64.
With SNS's initiation, we don't know hardly anything about how it works. What we've seen from Hatrick Patrick, and his former forever long thread, is that BK may have had some programming to receive a data or a command of some sort, IIRC. Could these eggs have been planned to unlock the initial SNS commands? Possibly, but I doubt it. It seems to me that any transfer of goods, moves, levels, or characters would be forward, to Banjo-Tooie, as bringing code that didn't even exist at the time into a game seems like a good way to make a mistake and cause error. (Think of Sonic and Knuckles. Sonic and Knuckles received the code from the previous games, which allowed for expanded play, not the other way around, for good reason.) So it seems like the eggs really were initially meant to just give bonuses or be received from different games, and had absolutely no relation to BK.

So which is it? Was BT really meant to connect with other games, or is it possible that the rewards, at least from the eggs, of SNS were light surprise that we basically received anyways.

On another note, I find it odd that the majority of these discoveries have been made in a giant cheese. Perfect Dark kind of odd.

And of course, congrats to Coolboyman, for his findings, and recent Jetpac fame. I just wish Rare would tell us a little bit more of the process that SNS was planned to have. That would make things a little easier.

Oh, and remember, some of the biggest surprises have been found by people who were looking for something else. Bottle's Revenge, anyone?

Edit: For those that can hack, has anyone applied the 0785 digit to something else besides the 063C object? We know it changes the egg's textures, but perhaps other objects have alternate textures that could be found in similar manner, if not with the 0785 digit, perhaps with another freeze? I'm thinking Jinjos, but I don't really know how they are coded in the game. I don't think I ever read about anyone hacking that.

Last edited by thatguyjr; 14th March 2007 at 04:32 AM.

Old 14th March 2007, 08:50 PM
Dingpot

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolboyman
There might be a sixth BT egg judging by the ammount of eggs Banjo-Kazooie has, and some people believe there might be another key.
Isn't there already 6 BT eggs, the 3 you give to Heggy and the 3 you found? >_>

Anyway, perhaps you could put the 0785 digit on the... Ice Key?

Old 14th March 2007, 10:13 PM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Edit: For those that can hack, has anyone applied the 0785 digit to something else besides the 063C object? We know it changes the egg's textures, but perhaps other objects have alternate textures that could be found in similar manner, if not with the 0785 digit, perhaps with another freeze? I'm thinking Jinjos, but I don't really know how they are coded in the game. I don't think I ever read about anyone hacking that.
Hmm, good idea. Too bad i dont have any time to try this out. There may be freeze digits like this in BK as well.

Old 15th March 2007, 10:11 AM
Jolly Rodger

INFECTED - B1K1 
is someone gonna try the code on the ice key?

Old 15th March 2007, 04:30 PM
Dingpot

Or Jinjo's?

Old 15th March 2007, 08:52 PM
Glowbo

What code would we be inserting 063C or 0785 into?

Old 15th March 2007, 08:54 PM
The Last Gunslinger

INFECTED - B1K1 
The jinjo or key code? I'm not sure... The DaVinci Code?

Old 16th March 2007, 12:58 AM
Rarewitch Zero

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal 
Thumbs up

Well done, Coolboyman!

Old 16th March 2007, 01:07 AM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 Thread Starter 
... HOLY CRAP IT'S KOLA!

First time I've ever seen you post.

Old 16th March 2007, 01:13 AM
Alumni Staff

Awesome Default Medal 
Can I just clarfy something: For those who say the BK base egg can change into any colour whatsoever, I can prove that it can't: Load up any world in BK on PJ64 and use an image mod to turn something into the base egg. Then, go into the BK texture Tool and you'll find that it automatically loads the 6 colour shellss which appear in the game as textures. These textures are not present in the editor unless there is a base egg in the area you're in.

Which would cast serious doubt on this just being a graphical glitch. If the egg was coded with alternate textures in BT, there has to be a reason for it...

Old 16th March 2007, 02:43 AM
Clanker

Well, assuming these eggs are a deliberate feature by Rare and not a screwup of any kind, that could implicate any of the following:

1) They are the remains of something that was once an extra feature of the original, now-dead Stop N Swop. (At least reasonably likely?)
2) They are hidden there in preparation for a new version of Stop N Swop, waiting to be unlocked by some forthcoming event, presumably Banjo 3. (Not very likely - Nintendo/Microsoft links are going to be messy, legally. Although, since the Microsoft-buying-Rare thing was after the release of BT, you could argue that Rare assumed that their next Banjo game would be a Nintendo-based one, and made preparations accordingly).
3) They are hidden there in preparation for nothing in particular, merely an "oh, you never know what we might want to do in future, let's leave some alternate egg textures in there, you never know" sort of dealy. (Although, since the eggs are retextures of the Base Egg, which was removed from PAL games, it is therefore unlikely that the secret textures were considered very useful after all).
4) The extra textures are nothing at all and Rare put them there to wind us up. (It doesn't feel like a wind-up, but then, that 'white egg' texture is indeed ugly).
5) The eggs are hidden and are waiting to be unlocked by an undiscovered in-game trigger which may one day be revealed by Rare, allowing the player to gain unspecified stuff in Tooie. (Not impossible, but veeeeeeery unlikely).
6) By the way, what if the Base Egg wasn't actually removed from the PAL game, but hidden in a similar way to the texture trigger and concealed in a freeze digit? That would put an entirely new spin on things.

Just my tuppence.

bthive.co.uk :: Banjo Trilogy Hive
bthive.co.uk/forums/ :: BT Hive Forums

Old 16th March 2007, 05:54 AM
Jolly Rodger

INFECTED - B1K1 
I reckon this might have bin rare experimenting a new project but cancelling it out before anything major happened.