Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop

Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop SNS? Bottle's Revenge? Share your thoughts on the mysteries of the Banjo series and discuss the new Stop 'n' Swop features in Nuts and Bolts and the XBLA games

Old 2nd April 2007, 09:03 PM
Prof. Swazzle

Total Awards: 7
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Note Medal Basic Forum Rules RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taija
Did you read what I edited in my last post? If you didn't:

I'm not trying to get into argument either, just pointing out that some people really did something for this whole thing, hence it affected their lifes. It's a little like if you join in some project over the internet and it turns out to be a joke.
Sorry, I never saw that edit. For those few people there I can see why they might be annoyed then. They have a reason to be afterall. And CBM probably should apologise to them then. But that doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

Old 2nd April 2007, 09:05 PM
Jinjo

Well, I think how CBM is treating this whole aftermath is a bit ridiculous. Yes people fell for it. Why? Slaphappy didn't post most of his reasons for believing it was fake, and our other main BK-BT hacker didn't hack anything, and seemed to believe everything genuinely. For most of these people, that is the limit of their abilities: See what the hackers find, then speculate. In this case, the only hacker was CBM, and that's what they did.

I don't know why hatrickpatrick fell for it, he could have easily seen what happened, so long as he had looked into the savestate. He had the skills, but he trusted his friends.

Slaphappy called it out. Plain and simple. I saw hatrickpatrick wasn't going to be hacking or looking into the validity, but it was more than enough that slaphappy called it as a hoax for me to be sure it was fake. Since he didn't post any reasons why, but I knew he had more than enough tools available to him to prove the hoax, I (rightly) trusted him, and I think at that point, several other forum members did too.

So at that point, we knew we couldn't find the "proof" CBM wanted, but those of us that couldn't hack could find methods that this whole thing could be done. Through finding these methods, it became very obvious that the savestate was actually the savestate of a patched game, otherwise, people would have been able to make it out of the area at least part of the time before the game locked up. Once this was determined, which was proof, Coolboyman wouldn't accept it as so, and therefore, he believed he out smarted everyone. He didn't realize that at that point, most people denouncing it as fake were just trying to let others know it was fake, that we didn't care about what CBM had to say at that point.

All in all, even though this was a "parting shot," it seems CBM walks away with a false sense of satisfaction, and a reversed lesson.
There are indeed things people who can't truly hack can do. For instance, did you know the textures of the chest to get into TTC are the same as the textures on the chests in Blackeye's room? You don't have to hack to see that. No, that doesn't really say anything, but it is an observation anyone can make.

Another thing non-hackers can do, for instance, is to look at what the activation of the missing sandcastle codes do. They can activate the digits without any real hacking, and then search through the game. That did originate from hacking, but it's still something that is found without any users hacking.

Not only that, but users that can't hack can speculate on the findings that a hacker finds. After all, for all we know, SNS is still in BK, and so there's still a bit to learn about what BK's part was, and speculation to help lead the hackers is something that anyone can do.

So in short, most, but not all new "discoveries" will involve hacking, but not always to the extent that only someone who knows how to search code and values and the like can do it. To the contrary, activating all the missing sandcastle codes on a basically new game, then searching for any changes is something anyone can do, once Subdrag discovered that there were missing values that could have been sandcastle codes.

Additionally, several of the people who didn't believe didn't believe you because of the holes and flaws in what you had done, not because of the date. You didn't start this March 31st or April 1st, you started it late February. As time passed, the date did become evidence that you would be lying, but it wasn't hardly the sole reason of disbelief.

Old 2nd April 2007, 09:21 PM
Grunty's Reject

Angry

CBM, I practically worshipped you. You "discovered" all those eggs, and even though I am happy to know whether it was real or fake, goddamn you, CBM. You may have lots of rep, but you are still a disgrace. damn you to ****in hell.

Old 2nd April 2007, 09:24 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Otter
CBM, I practically worshipped you. You "discovered" all those eggs, and even though I am happy to know whether it was real or fake, goddamn you, CBM. You may have lots of rep, but you are still a disgrace. damn you to ****in hell.
Dude, whoever you are like, chill out. It was just a joke. No need to loath all over him with flames.

Old 2nd April 2007, 09:32 PM
Glowbo

Well you all should have known better than to start wetting your pants over a "new discovery" in a 9-year-old, hacked-to-crap game.

Old 2nd April 2007, 09:40 PM
Retired

Total Awards: 11
RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 Basic Forum Rules RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAStranger
Well you all should have known better than to start wetting your pants over a "new discovery" in a 9-year-old, hacked-to-crap game.
If I recall, B-T is only about 6 or 7 years old.

Old 2nd April 2007, 09:48 PM
Hello Sadness

Total Awards: 6
INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox Awesome Default Medal INFECTED - B1K1 
[QUOTE=Ice Lightning]I didn't care because I don't care about SNS, I know it's dead and people don't want to believe this for some reason. Probably to give their life some meaning beyond nothingness.

actaully it's human nature to find meaning even when there actually may not be any, that's why people refuse to believe SnS is dead[QUOTE]

Old 2nd April 2007, 09:48 PM
Grunty's Reject

Total Awards: 4
INFECTED - B1K1 Thread Starter RWP Bash Day 6 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyme123
(eggs and threeie screens) made me loose 97% of my respect for this site.
I'm sorry but what do fake screenies that none of us or Mikehive had anything do with have to do with this site?

I'd just like to know is all.

Old 2nd April 2007, 09:52 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avarice
If I recall, B-T is only about 6 or 7 years old.
Hmm... yes, heh. But BK is 9-ish, which was were the SnS concept actually came about, sooo... I'll stick with my 9 years.

Old 2nd April 2007, 09:57 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
I think it's people's own business if they get excited over things like that. Maybe SNS is dead, but that's not the point; people just like searching it and hacking the games. It's not your place to judge.

Old 2nd April 2007, 10:01 PM
Jinjo

Quote:
You do know that, although the games have been hacked heavily, Rare's methods of programming are like the anti-hack. Especially in Tooie, the way data and memory is assigned jumps around, basically, so much of the hacking, at least for Tooie, has been on a superficial level.

Old 2nd April 2007, 10:03 PM
Clanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox mcdonalds
Im not sad that you leaving
Ditto. In the SAME train.

Old 2nd April 2007, 10:04 PM
Showdown Town Tour Guide

Total Awards: 11
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Awesome Default Medal RWP Note Medal RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyfanner
Ditto. In the SAME train.
The "I-Can't-Take-A-Joke" Train?

I hate to be so blunt, but CBM >>> you

Old 2nd April 2007, 10:07 PM
Jolly Rodger

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taija
I think it's people's own business if they get excited over things like that. Maybe SNS is dead, but that's not the point; people just like searching it and hacking the games. It's not your place to judge.
I totally respect the fact that people are still interested in the Banjo series, and I understand the fun in it. Sometimes even I get excited over a new find that may be believable but then is proven to be fake -- I'm not gonna lie.

What I meant by my comment was that I think it's quite ridiculous how serious most of the people here take it now. I'm not saying you shouldn't have fun, but a lot of the times the posts I see here are just ridiculous.

Old 2nd April 2007, 10:09 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 6
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 7 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 6 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 2 Participation Award 
I see your using a Wii too,kirbyfanner.

Bottles98,you didn't help CBM as much as I did.I used a lot of my time on him,and I don't even get a sorry.If you were me youd understand.

- Fox mcdonalds