Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop

Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop SNS? Bottle's Revenge? Share your thoughts on the mysteries of the Banjo series and discuss the new Stop 'n' Swop features in Nuts and Bolts and the XBLA games

Old 21st August 2003, 05:41 AM
Bunnycomb

It seems as if they could not make up their mind what to do with SnS.

Blackeye says "A bear stole me glory,looked abitlike you he did" or something .

Perhaps he meant DK.

Old 21st August 2003, 11:57 AM
Davros

I always had high hopes of SnS reappearing in BK;GR and a game on the gamecube, since nintendo is always stressing the interconnectivity features. Shame Rare left then isn't it.

Old 21st August 2003, 12:06 PM
Nick98

Rare didn't necessarily leave... Nintendo kind of gave them away. Well... that is of course from what I can remember people talking(Well... more like yelling) about a while back.

But anyways, I doubt that BK:GR and B3 would of had a connection concerning SnS. As much as I like that idea, I still don't think they would try it. Then again it is my opinion.

Old 21st August 2003, 12:18 PM
Davros

Well I thought it was unlikely once too, but now Rare have dropped the alternative history angle and gone for Time-travel. I immedialtey thought of TTC and Nipper arguing with Kazooie, saying that you'll never find anything on this beach without his help. What if you could Travel Back in time (rare mentions going through old worlds with new moves on the website-I think) use a split up pad in TTC and speak to him using Banjo only. Result; Nipper helps you find the pink egg!

Old 21st August 2003, 02:31 PM
TheMegaJinjo2

Hmm...If I remember correctly RARE made a statement about S'n'S was "nothing but a memory of a bridge over water" or something to that effect...is there a bridge over water in DK64?

Old 21st August 2003, 02:43 PM
Davros

Are those Rare's exact words? It sounds uncharacteristacly poetic to me. I personally think a bridge over water is a metaphor for a process (ie. stop n swop), an the fact that it's a memory could mean it no longer exists, so it was never fully implemented or something.
Where did you read this? (If you can remember)

Old 21st August 2003, 03:00 PM
kirby_archon

If memory serves, the fanfare wasn't the only music reused between DK 64 and the banjo games; i think the boss music and the intro story music of BT was identical (or at least very close) to some music in DK 64.

Now that I look at that, it doesn't have much to do with the Fanfare being used in BK and DK, but I thought i might as well point it out..

Old 21st August 2003, 03:08 PM
Bunnycomb

Total Awards: 3
RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Yikes... that could have been horrible if they made you complete DK64 100% before being able to activate SNS.. that game got so tedious and boring... Of course, I guess it's worse that it's not there at all.

Edit:
Here's how I think it would have been done if they had gone through with it and let DK64 touch SNS:

Go to BK as DK. Bring back Ice Key. Open up new world where you have to collect 500 multicolored bananas to open a portal to a realm with 99 SNS coins to collect. Upon gathering all the coins you have to use them in a coin machine to play ancient arcade games. Upon winning twice you would get the SNS codes and have to gather the eggs. Upon gathering all the eggs back to DK they are stolen by beavers and you have to do 6 beaver rounding up mini-games with ridiculous time limits in order to gain the eggs which hatch into barrel blasting mini-games. When you win those and gather all the SNS chickens you gain a new cutscene from Mumbo which tells you that you have to wait 'til BT to find out what the chickens do and get a %105 save file.

And that is why I think DK 64 should never be involved with anything...

Last edited by John; 23rd August 2003 at 01:59 AM.

Old 21st August 2003, 03:35 PM
Dingpot

Total Awards: 1
RWP Note Medal 
It seems to me that the linkage between BK and DK64 was most likely a feasibilty test by Rare. If they were able to successfully swop the ice key from one game to the other, then it was a go for the BK - BT connection. They had to test somewhere, and DK64 was the logical test candidate in the development timeline. BT development wasn't even started until summer 1998, as we were told in the infamous Tepid Seat interview (Q34).

Old 21st August 2003, 04:41 PM
Megaguiras

When you think of a bridge over water, you have to ask yourself, what does a bridge do? It connects two pieces of land, in other words, a reference to connectivity between Rare's games.

Old 21st August 2003, 06:57 PM
Dingpot

Total Awards: 1
RWP Note Medal 
Rare had a question is the scribes, prior to the site relaunch, in which someone asked about the connection between BK and BT. They responded with it being an "old dream" and just "water under the bridge". That's the only bridge reference I recall.

Old 21st August 2003, 09:01 PM
Most Missed Member '10 - '11

Total Awards: 4
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Awesome Default Medal RWP Note Medal 
But weren't the Banjo and Donkey Kong games developed by two seperate teams?

Old 21st August 2003, 09:05 PM
Dingpot

Quote:
Originally posted by Hakey Wake
But weren't the Banjo and Donkey Kong games developed by two seperate teams?
I'm not sure about that, but even so, they're still in the same company and inter-team projects may have come up.

Why don't girls ever notice me?

Old 21st August 2003, 09:20 PM
Most Missed Member '10 - '11

Total Awards: 4
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Awesome Default Medal RWP Note Medal 
Quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Man
I'm not sure about that, but even so, they're still in the same company and inter-team projects may have come up.
I'm sure they were different because there was that article awhile ago about the two dev. teams fighting for the expansion pack.....

Old 21st August 2003, 09:54 PM
Dingpot

time for more theorizing... maybe the DK characters were supposed to be transferred over to BK, and find their corresponding egg? then banjo found the last egg, and he could also explore the last world opened by the ice key. well, that was pointless.

what's this? arguing over the expansion pack? was there a lack of funding or something? *imagines BK with expansian pack* *drools*

Why don't girls ever notice me?