Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop

Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop SNS? Bottle's Revenge? Share your thoughts on the mysteries of the Banjo series and discuss the new Stop 'n' Swop features in Nuts and Bolts and the XBLA games

Old 21st April 2005, 09:04 PM
Most Missed Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 8
SteamLink Verified Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Viva PiƱata TiP Mastery 
Smile SNS - A [Grey] Subject

Yes, I've sculpted my own SNS theory. Just when you thought that SNS was FINALLY dying off, the least likely candidate to make up another theory came up with one.

NOTE: The idea jumped in to my mind and I'm typing it as I think it so I apologize for any inconsistencies or sketchy phrasing.

Important Stop N' Swop Information
1) We know that data was intended to be transferred from one game to the other for sure.

2) We know that the SNS screen is on all 3 files and does NOT go away. This mates, is the important bit.

The Theory
I think SNS doesn't start with BK, but rather the games it connects to. You would activate something in one game (Say DK64). Then you would be prompted to switch to BK. Upon loading, the game would set new values in the memory. First it would load you in the SNS room you needed to be in, then it would change it so that the SNS item was active, and then it would run a return prompt. Don't ask about the return prompt, just keep reading.

Alright, so now you're in BK. You go to and collect the SNS item that is now unlocked. Upon doing this, the return prompt would be activated. This would delete the item from the SNS screen and have you switch back to the original cartridge. When you did this, you would have the SNS item on the other game and be able to use it for whatever secrets.

So why do I think this? Simple.

Why else would the SNS screen be global? If you were intended to use it in BK it should show up in EACH save file. Also, why else would the items only be collectable once unless they were intended to auto-reset themself directly following use?

The SNS screen also vanishes if there are no items collected. I don't believe the items were meant to be kept. That means that since you would never have any on hand you'd never be able to see it.

Q and A's
Q: Why the Sandcastle Codes?
A: My guess is that the codes were not meant for GETTING the objects, but rather for testing to make sure that certain things in the memory being changed would UNLOCK the LOCATION of the SNS objects. So the cheat to raise Sharkfood island was to make sure that certain codes would open Sharkfood Island -- NOT so you could get the pink egg inside.

Q: Why doesn't the switch prompt come up now?
A: Simple, multiple games. You can't just hit the Pink Egg and have it go "Please switch to BT" because it could have been potentially used in MORE than just BT. This means the game would have to decide upon reloading where it was going and it couldn't be programmed in at all times. Also, while they could have GUESSED where they were going to put certain future BT coding, they had no way to be absolutely sure and felt it would be better to wait and import the data once the game was out.

Q: Why do you keep the eggs with the codes?
A: It has no place to send it to. The objects had to be held in some sort of inventory somewhere for display while you were switching games. However, without a prompt selected you just keep the eggs and ice key instead of being opted to switch them to somewhere else.

Last edited by Grey Jinjo; 21st April 2005 at 09:16 PM.

Old 21st April 2005, 09:19 PM
Admin of Awesome

Total Awards: 21
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox SteamLink Verified 
For a theory that just came to you it's pretty good. It's simple and quite possible.

I never thought of the fact that even doing SnS the correct way we shouldn't have seen the SnS screen.

I think that the simplest theory would most likely be the correct one because not only does it make it harder on us but infinitely time harder for rare to code difficult situations. This one seems easy and do-able.

Error ID: 10T. Rage Buffer overflow.

Old 21st April 2005, 09:36 PM
Dingpot

I'm just wondering.

Didn't Mumbo say that "these are secrets you missed you'll find in BT?" He then showed us the Ice Key, so wouldn't that mean that the Ice Key, the Pink Egg, and the Blue Egg would be used for BT, and the other eggs for something else?

jUst a thought

Old 22nd April 2005, 12:54 AM
Glowbo

That's an excellent theory! Makes a lot of sense and would explain why we haven't found anything new in BK.

Old 22nd April 2005, 09:53 AM
Jinjo

But I don't understant something , how can we transfer something with 2 N64 cardriges , and we know that BK2 was planing on 64DD (an 64DD make possilbe transfers between a 64 cadrige and a 64 disk) ?
http://www.lgdg.net/bkommando/dossier/stop/bk2.jpg

Old 22nd April 2005, 01:48 PM
Dingpot

Total Awards: 1
RWP Note Medal 
I posted last year in the 64dd.net forums asking for some confirmation on Banjo Kazooie 2 being a 64DD game, and only got a lukewarm 'some Rare employee said so'. Take that for what it's worth.

Rare explains how they were going to transfer the data using non-volitile memory in their Swapping Data Between Games patent.

Old 22nd April 2005, 02:16 PM
Most Missed Member '10 - '11

Total Awards: 4
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Awesome Default Medal RWP Note Medal 
You posted on 64dd.net?

Infact I remember someone asking that actually...

Old 22nd April 2005, 02:36 PM
Dingpot

RWP Note Medal 
Yeah, I posted under NapMaster. That's my more common name, but here at the RWP, I'm slaphappy! Must of been a phase I was going through when I joined the fun here.

Inquiring about BK2 on 64DD

Old 22nd April 2005, 02:58 PM
Glowbo

Wasn't the 64DD released in Japan? Hmmmm I wonder if Rare ever finished a 64DD verion of Banjo Tooie. I know it would be impossible to get one if they did, but it would probably have the SNS feature on it.

Old 22nd April 2005, 03:37 PM

Ah, I knew i'd replied to that topic.

Though if I had known that was you, I wouldn't have told you about your own topic that you started at the rwp heh. :o

Old 22nd April 2005, 04:11 PM
Clanker

Random Award 
Quote:
Q: Why the Sandcastle Codes?
A: My guess is that the codes were not meant for GETTING the objects, but rather for testing to make sure that certain things in the memory being changed would UNLOCK the LOCATION of the SNS objects. So the cheat to raise Sharkfood island was to make sure that certain codes would open Sharkfood Island -- NOT so you could get the pink egg inside
Well, actually, I think that you're overthinking that aspect. I think that it's just a code like the ones to open the note doors, or to open certain levels.

Also, what if Diddy Kong Racing had something to do with SnS? I've wondering about that... Because it's the less obvious choice, but if what you say is true, then it could unlock something there. Maybe Kazooie as a playable character?! (Crosses fingers)

Old 22nd April 2005, 04:13 PM
Clanker

Random Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratabulous
I'm just wondering.

Didn't Mumbo say that "these are secrets you missed you'll find in BT?" He then showed us the Ice Key, so wouldn't that mean that the Ice Key, the Pink Egg, and the Blue Egg would be used for BT, and the other eggs for something else?

jUst a thought
Sorry for double posting...

But actually, he says that you'll need them FOR BT. I beat it again recently. He tells you to get the pink egg, the ice key, and the blue egg for BT. But it doesn't do anything... I tried...

Old 22nd April 2005, 05:21 PM
Dingpot

Whoops

Any more ideas on this 64dd thing?

Old 22nd April 2005, 07:37 PM
Glowbo

Hmm Diddy Kong Racing could be a link. After all, it has Banjo, Conker, and Diddy in it, which connects DK64, BK, and CBFD through characters. Didn't it come out a long time before BK though? They most likely hadn't thought about SNS at that time.

As for the 64DD, I don't know too much about it, but if it was released in Japan and if Rare ever did put BT on a disc, even if it wasn't sold, then the disc might have SNS on it. Unfortunately it would be impossible to get that disc. Can't think of any other good ideas here so I'll just see what other people come up with.

Just out of curiosity, did RWP hack Grunty's Revenge and Banjo Pilot? Before Rare went to Microsoft I had a feeling that they would use Grunty's Revenge to link to a Gamecube BK game in order to do SNS. Maybe Rare would have released a graphically updated version of BK and BT like they did with Conker and have Grunty's Revenge be the device that allows you to swap between the games. Obviously this will never be able to be accomplished, but I'm just curious if there's any line of code in Grunty's Revenge that hints that it might have been able to potentially do SNS.

Old 22nd April 2005, 10:50 PM

64DD was released in Japan only...it seems, although there were rumblings that it saw it's way to a German release aswell. (No idea as to why)

I highly doubt that BT was ever in DD form, in fact if I remember rightly it was called "Banjo Kazooie 2" at the time it appeared on the potential DD games list.