Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 20th September 2020, 12:55 AM
Trash Apprentice

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Dead Rising was on sale so I went ahead and snagged that. Kinda' sad that the PC port still hitches whenever hitting the zombos in a group, and it has a couple of other little hiccups here and there that I think are due to the port, I can play many MODERN games just fine with no hitching. But it's totally fine I don't really care that much, and I love Dead Rising. It's such a perfect little game of learning the mall, vibing in the atmosphere, and goofily saving all these dumbfaqs who don't seem to understand that standing in. my. way. means. you. get. hit. by. a. bench. sorry. The way that it keeps your level between runs means that as soon as you restart the game you know exactly where you're going and what you wanna' do. Couple that with the bosses being super stupid dumb fun, and unlocking sick ass weapons that make the game somewhat trivial once you've killed 'em (I'm looking at you clown boss), it's still always crazy nice once you figure out how to get to that point. Another thing I love about this game is that fun=experience. If you see a thing and think 'I'm gonna go hit that/interact with that the game ALWAYS seems to reward you, meaning that curiosity is the best tool you can wield. The inventory is interesting too, requiring you to focus on only a few of each item at any given time. For instance, there're magazines what give you boosts to certain things (+50% healing, Double Durability for Home Decor items) but, at first, it's really only prudent to hold on to one or two at any given time. Meaning that it's up to you to figure out what's most important to you. Plus you gotta' hold on to a few healing items, and once you find the mixers the whole healing game opens up to you.

And guys can I just say, I LOVE Japanese Americana. This is a mixture of Dawn of the Dead, and what a bunch of Japanese people think America is like, AND I CAN'T GIT ENOUGH IT IT! It's so silly, goofy, fun, and ridiculous, and it's always rewarding you for your actions. You need a little patience to get through this game as it takes a little bit of learning the controls, the systems, and the like, but your patience is always rewarded. The last boss fight is bullshit though and goes against everything I love about the game, but honestly if that's the only knock I can give it, it's a pretty good game i.m.o.

Also been playing that Tony Hawk remake and it's glorious. I never had a PS1 so this game is completely new to me, though I had played Tony Hawk 4 and the THUG series, and because of this thankfully I know kind of what I'm doing. The scores are fun to get, I like collecting the bobbles around the level, and it feels like actual Tony Hawk which has been sorely lacking for the past few years sadly. I Just can't get enough of this game and find it so easy to return to, though I've decided I HATE Downhill Jam.

Old 21st September 2020, 09:13 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
You gonna do 7 Day Survivor?

Old 22nd September 2020, 02:55 PM
Chasing Childhood

Just chiming in to give my undying support for the Dead Rising franchise. Really hoping they bring it back from the dead after the abomination that was DR4.

Are you gonna put the time in to doing a genocide run? 54k zombies I think it is?

They/Them

Old 22nd September 2020, 06:29 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
there's a big video on what went down with dead rising 3 and 4 and it's wild because they go into what devs about dr5 said happened with its development at the end, and it basically started as something more faithful to dr1/2 with a few new gimmicks that needed to be ironed out.

and then they got a new head who wanted to retool development a bit. and then they got a new head who worked on assassin's creed and wanted to make it more like assassin's creed.

and then they got a new head who wanted to make it a linear action game instead.

and then they got a new head who wanted to make it dark souls set in mexico and that was the point where capcom finally saw the game, and, well.

also dead rising 4 was a game with mech suits entirely because someone showed like a sketch of the idea to a microsoft executive once and from that moment forward that exec became absolutely 100% fixated on having mech suits in the game even though all the actual devs hated it

Old 22nd September 2020, 07:46 PM
Von Kriplespac

I've made it up to the Airbase level in Perfect Dark, after having spent several hours babysitting Jonathan. My current strategy is to spend about 3 minutes punching people in the back of the head so I have more ammo once the K7 Avenger guys storm in to delete me. I plan on seeing if I can smuggle my drug spy past the suitcase check so I can use it to make the laser grid section a little easier.

Old 23rd September 2020, 07:07 PM
Trash Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyNPC View Post
You gonna do 7 Day Survivor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr/Sir Norris View Post
Just chiming in to give my undying support for the Dead Rising franchise. Really hoping they bring it back from the dead after the abomination that was DR4.

Are you gonna put the time in to doing a genocide run? 54k zombies I think it is?
This game is so easy and fun to mess around with and play, and since I've never actually done any of the challenges other than max level all survivors, yeah I'm definitely thinking about it. And yeah DR4 is just a total disappointment and basically has no soul. I remember Off the Record somewhat fondly from my 360 days though so I'll prolly go through that as well!

EDIT: Been trying to 100% Stormy Ascent in the Crash remake and it's definitely challenging, haven't quite got it yet. Not really my favorite level I've ever played through, but learning that it was cut content from the first game I'm not really surprised either; I think as a level it feels pretty unpolished, but darn it I'm not gonna' give up!

Last edited by dragon_kazoooie; 24th September 2020 at 11:53 AM.

Old 25th September 2020, 09:25 AM
Trash Apprentice

Still don't think it's a very good level honestly.

Last edited by dragon_kazoooie; 25th September 2020 at 09:27 AM.

Old 30th September 2020, 06:22 AM
Von Kriplespac

Seplunky 2 just came out and it's pretty sick so far. It's like an expansion pack to Spelunky 1, which is pretty much what I wanted. My favorite addition to the game is the ghost pot, which appears in every level and spawns the ghost instantly when destroyed and it's diamond collected. This makes highscore runs so much better, I love it. I suggested this exact thing in a 4chan thread ages ago too.

Also been playing a game called moon on the Switch. It was originally a Japan exclusive PS1 game which only just got localized out of nowhere for the Switch eshop and probably some other platforms too. It's often credited as "the game Toby Fox ripped off when he made Undertale", and I can see right off where Undertale takes inspiration from here. You play as a little boy who gets sucked into a generic JRPG and now has to put back the world which was torn apart by the hero of the game he was just playing. Your primary task is to catch the ghosts of the slain monsters and shove them back in their bodies to bring them back to life. It's a pretty neato adventure game. Give it a try if you like stuff like Undertale.

In Perfect Dark I'm up to Crash Site now. It looks like it should be pretty straight forward once I find an optimal path through the level. I just need to find time to pick it up again.

Old 30th September 2020, 08:41 AM
a banana peel

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! RWP Podcast Rarity Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
I restarted Undertale to do a no mercy run so I could fight The Hard Boss With The Funny Song but he's too hard for me.

Old 30th September 2020, 08:55 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyNPC View Post
Also been playing a game called moon on the Switch. It was originally a Japan exclusive PS1 game which only just got localized out of nowhere for the Switch eshop and probably some other platforms too. It's often credited as "the game Toby Fox ripped off when he made Undertale", and I can see right off where Undertale takes inspiration from here. You play as a little boy who gets sucked into a generic JRPG and now has to put back the world which was torn apart by the hero of the game he was just playing. Your primary task is to catch the ghosts of the slain monsters and shove them back in their bodies to bring them back to life. It's a pretty neato adventure game. Give it a try if you like stuff like Undertale.
feel like it's a bit harsh to say he ripped it off since he's credited the game with inspiring him and the game's main writer credited him with pushing him to get the game rereleased on switch, since toby hangs out with him sometimes and he asked about it a bit during one of those times, but yeah.

funny enough yoshiro kimura, the head of onion games and the main writer of moon, has said in past interviews that he thinks a lot of parts of moon kind of suck and undertale executes the basic idea better, but that on revisiting the game his harshness towards it softened a bit and he decided to gather up some of the old staff to port it to switch. and the switch port isn't even an emulation, surprisingly enough, they worked off a near-finished dev build and recreated tons of assets that were corrupted in the existing data. moon on switch is like, legitimately monumentally high-effort for what it is

i would say that in addition to undertale, it's worth checking out if you've ever played chulip on the ps2, chibi-robo on the gamecube or the ds tingle games. moon's pretty much the origin point for all the staff who worked on those games and they all share heavy similarities, chulip is almost like a direct sequel gameplay-wise

Old 2nd October 2020, 12:17 AM
Trash Apprentice

I really REALLY need to play this Moon game. It seems so incredibly up my alley. I NEED IT.

[img]https://**********/KWqJ37W/moon-switch-screenshot06.jpg[/img]

EDIT: WHY DIDN'T NOBODY TELL ME THERE WAS A SPOOKY LEVEL IN MARIO+RABBIDS?! this is a very important development.

Last edited by dragon_kazoooie; 2nd October 2020 at 11:50 AM.

Old 3rd October 2020, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Total Awards: 8
You're Appreciated! Puzzle Six Awesome Default Medal RWP Donator RWP Podcast 
Animal Crossing: New Horizons: Work from home. 5/10

Old 9th October 2020, 01:56 AM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
clears throat

ᴸᵃᵈʸ ᴮᵒʷ ⁱˢ ᵏⁱⁿᵈᵃ ᶠⁱⁿᵉ ᶠᵒʳ ᵃ ᶠˡᵒᵃᵗⁱⁿᵍ ᶜⁱʳᶜˡᵉ.

Old 10th October 2020, 12:05 AM
Friend of Justice

Total Awards: 9
You're Appreciated! Awesome Default Medal INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On 
Replaying Sonic Adventure DX. i forgot how cool the intro is.

edit: I've only made it to Emerald Coast and I'm already falling through the floor. Maybe some memories shouldn't be tainted by going back and revisiting them.

Last edited by Masked Hero; 10th October 2020 at 12:15 AM.

Old 10th October 2020, 01:23 AM
Friend of Justice

Total Awards: 9
You're Appreciated! Awesome Default Medal INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On 
Jeez, that is a bummer. I wonder if all of those glitches were in the Dreamcast original?

I’ve moved on to Resident Evil 1. Rebecca just finished playing the Moonlight Sonata.

User Tag List