Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop

Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop SNS? Bottle's Revenge? Share your thoughts on the mysteries of the Banjo series and discuss the new Stop 'n' Swop features in Nuts and Bolts and the XBLA games

Old 4th April 2008, 12:36 AM
Glowbo

Fungus Forest remains hidden in Donkey Kong 64?

As we all know, Fungus Forest was scrapped and placed into DK64. That's nothing new.

But if you think about it, Fungi Forest is waaay too big of a level for Banjo-Kazooie. So we can pretty much agree they took the original level and expanded on that.

Though, is it possible...that hidden deep in the game's coding...there's a playable "beta" stage (if you will) of Fungus Forest? I mean, they did base off that, but did they completely delete the original?

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I believe there's scraps of the original Fungus Forest left in DK64 somewhere. Obviously the level isn't going to work like Banjo-Kazooie, but maybe we can at least see what the level itself would've looked like. Anyone else agree?

For all we know, it could be hidden just like the Citadel was hidden in GoldenEye.

Old 4th April 2008, 12:38 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 17
You're Appreciated! Mystery Four Mystery One Thread Starter Imagination 
The level wasn't scraped - it was converted into clakers cavern.

The comcept the scrapted. a fungus forest was put in dk

Buterflies are insex. ~TwilightVestige

Old 4th April 2008, 12:40 AM
Glowbo

I disagree. Didn't they just take part of Fungus Forest and make that into Clanker's Cavern? I highly doubt that was the whole level.

But again, since Fungi Forest in DK64 is basically what the BK level would've been, is it possible the original they built off of is still hidden in the coding? Rare is known to get lazy at times when it comes to deleting unused stuff.

Old 4th April 2008, 12:42 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 17
You're Appreciated! Mystery Four Mystery One Thread Starter Imagination 
Beta movie, you are swimming in a green pool with a fleshy clanker with FF music playing.

I doubt that that said "rusty metla whale robot pit" at the time, more like "traped whale in a fungus pool"

Buterflies are insex. ~TwilightVestige

Old 4th April 2008, 12:43 AM
Glowbo

I realize that. They basically replaced the music and changed a few textures...and most likely added the inside of Clanker. But again, I doubt that was the whole level. Perhaps the well in DK64's Fungi Forest would've led to Organic Clanker in BK?

Old 4th April 2008, 01:25 AM
Mecha-Grunty

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 Random Award 
If Fungus Forest was revamped into Clanker's Cavern, then that makes sense. My theory is that since in the beta video the grate was blocked off where the level was normally entered, then you would have had a different way of entering it. The area where Clanker is, (as seen in the video) was not the entire level. You entered it somehow to try and free Clanker. The well in Fungi Forest sounds exceedingly plausible. Remember the bolt that jumped off of Clanker's back that leads you up to a Jiggy? Maybe there was actual water that lead Banjo and Kazooie back into the actual forest.

Just my two cents worth.

Old 4th April 2008, 01:35 AM
Clanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyme123 View Post
Beta movie, you are swimming in a green pool with a fleshy clanker with FF music playing.

I doubt that that said "rusty metla whale robot pit" at the time, more like "traped whale in a fungus pool"
Video, plz .

Old 4th April 2008, 01:47 AM
Quote of the Year '10 - '11

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceKeyMaster View Post
Video, plz .
Just YouTube search "Banjo Kazooie E3 video", you'll see near the end Banjo swimming by a blue Clanker's head, going towards a grate with fungus on it.

Old 4th April 2008, 02:01 AM
Glowbo

That Clanker myself looks like a non textured Clanker. I think Clanker Cavern has no link with Fungi Forest. My guess is that Clanker's cavern has more link with Rusty Buckey Bay. But I won't go into theories.

Old 4th April 2008, 02:35 AM
Jinjo

Total Awards: 1
Random Award 
It DOES seem likely to me that Clanker's Cavern used to be Fungus Forest, just by the beta video. I think that the area shown in the beta video was just a small part of Fungus Forest where you had to free a shark from a trapped area or something, but meh, thats my take on it.

Old 4th April 2008, 02:40 AM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthConker
Banjo swimming by a blue Clanker's head, going towards a grate with fungus on it.
I don't see the fungus on the grate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazooieKlunkz
I think that the area shown in the beta video was just a small part of Fungus Forest where you had to free a shark from a trapped area or something, but meh, thats my take on it.
While we are on this subject, I don't believe Clanker's Cavern had anything to do with Fungus forest, but it is strange that there is a grate blocking the entrance to the cavern. I don't remember one in the final version.

Old 4th April 2008, 03:03 AM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 4
RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 6 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
For those of you who haven't seen the video and are too lazy to search for it.

I find the video interesting, the "Fungus Forest" resembles Clankers Cavern a bit too much, but I would just be repeating what has been said. Also, if my memory serves me correctly, wasn't there a door in Fungi Forest that you couldn't access? Not saying it has to do with B-K but still, something I thought I'd mention.

Old 4th April 2008, 03:22 AM
Quote of the Year '10 - '11

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by runehero123 View Post
I don't see the fungus on the grate.

While we are on this subject, I don't believe Clanker's Cavern had anything to do with Fungus forest, but it is strange that there is a grate blocking the entrance to the cavern. I don't remember one in the final version.
Oh, well, I haven't seen the video in ages, so my memory was somewhat foggy, thanks to DeLMrcs, though, I see that I was a little inaccurate.
Oh yeah, that most likely wasn't beta Clanker's Cavern shown, as Clanker was originally in Fungus Forest, you can tell that because:
1. Clanker is more identical to an actual shark, thus giving him a cleaner, more lively homeworld would make much more sense.
2. If you look around Clanker, things look more grassy, plus, if you look inside the grate, there is a dirt path with grass around it, meaning, well, that Fungus Forest was Clanker the realistic sharks' home in the beta.

Last edited by DarthConker; 4th April 2008 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Added stuff. Why even ask? It's none of your business.

Old 4th April 2008, 03:33 AM
Glowbo

Anyway, getting back to the Fungus Forest being leftover in DK64.

Has this ever been brought up before? Didn't we recently discover a new beta room in DK64 that leads to many different test areas? There may be other things deeper in the game's code...

I am pretty confident that the original Fungus Forest is in DK64.

Old 4th April 2008, 03:39 AM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
1. Clanker is more identical to an actual shark, thus giving him a cleaner, more lively homeworld would make much more sense.
The "dirt" looks more like sand that you would see in a Beachy area such as treasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthConker
2. If you look around Clanker, things look more grassy, plus, if you look inside the grate, there is a dirt path with grass around it, meaning, well, that Fungus Forest was Clanker the realistic sharks' home in the beta.
They cave looks more rocky. Also, the dirt path look's more like Sand you would see on a beachy level such as Treasure Trove Cove. Also, why would a shark live in the forest? I'm sure that Clanker's Cavern was still called Clanker's Cavern.