Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > General > Creative Cavern

Creative Cavern We'd love to see your artwork, read your stories, or play your games. So let your creative juices go wild. Images are enabled in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 10th January 2023, 07:18 AM
PstriPle's Avatar
PstriPle PstriPle is offline
Requests name changes in wrong thread, pays price
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The box sitting in the corner.
Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Was gonna say at some point that I've been teaching myself how to program on the Super Nintendo over the last 3 months or so, but I kept forgetting.

Still not at the point that I have anything worthwhile to show, but that should change sooner rather than later.

P.S. maybe I actually will make Super Luke for real who knows lel
__________________
The nova of the ocean of the cleverness.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10th January 2023, 08:05 AM
neen's Avatar
neen neen is offline
u ‾ ‾ u
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: new england
Total Awards: 3
RWP Donator RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
snes is super well documented. if you are already into doing assembly, it shouldn't be that hard of a leap, depending on what platform you started on.

i'm only interested in super metroid, and the entire game has been disassembled so it's pretty easy for me, plus the editors and other tools are very good.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10th January 2023, 07:18 PM
PstriPle's Avatar
PstriPle PstriPle is offline
Requests name changes in wrong thread, pays price
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The box sitting in the corner.
Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neen View Post
snes is super well documented. if you are already into doing assembly, it shouldn't be that hard of a leap, depending on what platform you started on.

i'm only interested in super metroid, and the entire game has been disassembled so it's pretty easy for me, plus the editors and other tools are very good.
Nah, this was my first time doing assembly, but the actual 65816 hasn't been too hard to understand.

I've read through a lot of wiki.superfamicom.org's stuff, and I followed along with this to get me started:

https://nesdoug.com/2020/03/19/snes-projects/

Right now I'm just doing deep diving to see how all the different hardware registers interact.

I'm probably gonna study up more on 65816 itself next, I'm not always sure what opcodes do what yet,
__________________
The nova of the ocean of the cleverness.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11th January 2023, 04:40 AM
neen's Avatar
neen neen is offline
u ‾ ‾ u
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: new england
Total Awards: 3
RWP Donator RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
i've only dipped my toes into assembly stuff, mostly making small modifications (sometimes called hex tweaks), but this reference has been great: https://patrickjohnston.org/ASM/List...%20opcodes.asm

unless you're super dedicated to making your own engine, picking another game and doing a total conversion romhack, with so much custom stuff it's almost unrecognizable would be easier.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11th January 2023, 04:07 PM
PstriPle's Avatar
PstriPle PstriPle is offline
Requests name changes in wrong thread, pays price
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The box sitting in the corner.
Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neen View Post
i've only dipped my toes into assembly stuff, mostly making small modifications (sometimes called hex tweaks), but this reference has been great: https://patrickjohnston.org/ASM/List...%20opcodes.asm
Decided I better just go deep into this and read up on this bad boy:
https://archive.org/details/08930378...ammingThe65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by neen View Post
unless you're super dedicated to making your own engine, picking another game and doing a total conversion romhack, with so much custom stuff it's almost unrecognizable would be easier.
This is true, but I'm really interested in seeing what I myself am capable of.

Though, even if I'm going from scratch now, I wouldn't mind messing around with other games at some point too.
__________________
The nova of the ocean of the cleverness.
Reply With Quote
Reply


User Tag List

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Forums powered by vBulletin® Copyright © Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website © 2000-2015 The RWP