Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 2nd April 2005, 04:04 PM
McLovin

Total Awards: 3
INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal Random Award 
If you know directx or someone who does and could make the level viewer aspects, that'd be spectacular.

Old 3rd April 2005, 10:58 AM
Clanker

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Red face

What do you mean "know direct x" I know what it is and what it basicly does (it helps the particular program to use the hardware directly, which saved time for developers who used to work in dos because it was easyer).
Could you, if it doesn't wast much time, tell me what I'm looking for in DX
Or anyone ells out there able to help and/or get me started :o

trev

Last edited by trevor; 3rd April 2005 at 11:08 AM.

Old 3rd April 2005, 11:08 AM
Admin of Awesome

Total Awards: 21
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox SteamLink Verified 
I have Microsoft Visual C++ and a teach yourself Direct X in 24 hours (that is 24 x 1 hour steps) I haven't done anything on it but I probably could if you want me to... . in fact I will start the stuff tomorrow so I can try to help as well.

Error ID: 10T. Rage Buffer overflow.

Old 3rd April 2005, 09:18 PM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 
Thumbs up

Hello Gaming Master2k. Hey is it alright if I can get a copy of the tutorial, and the visual if it applys to it, (two heads are better than one).

I was searching the web and found some tutorials, but I still need to know where to start.

Thank you,
Trev

Old 3rd April 2005, 10:26 PM
Admin of Awesome

I'm not sure about the tutorial but the Visual C++ is a program that's about 700Mb in size which is obviously too much for me to send. I'll have a look at the tutorial size and get back to you on that.

Old 3rd April 2005, 10:31 PM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 
Unhappy

Oh well so much for that. I'll have to look on the internet for something.
Try you're best on you're own software, and help us.
Thanks anyway,
Trev

Old 3rd April 2005, 11:20 PM
McLovin

Well, opengl would work too. I got the thing displaying, but I could not get the textures going properly. Camera never worked as I wanted either.

Old 3rd April 2005, 11:39 PM
Admin of Awesome

Ok I'm going through the tutorial thing and The further I go the more confused I get. It's only about 6Mb, perhaps I can send it to someone (although it is recommended you have Microsoft Visual C++ v5.0 or above as that is what it's written for). Let me know if anyone wants it.

Other than that I don't think I can help too much.

Old 4th April 2005, 12:58 AM
McLovin

Yeah, I wasn't happy with directx either. I at least got it rendering the triangles and moving the camera about.

Old 5th April 2005, 07:59 PM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 
If you're talking about using openGL now then I found some tutorials on that as well but they seem to be talking about making models and stuff like that.

I'll keep looking on both Direct-X and OpenGL, but I still need to know what I'm trying to do, espesualy if i'm going to ask a freind if he could do it.

Maybe nothing serious for this but for Christmas I got Enter the Matrix and SW Battle front. I got Direct-X 9.0c and it tested fine but the games couldnt see my graphics nor my resolution, not only that even a free 3d pakage I downloaded (wasnt any good anyway) wouldn't work on Direct-X hardware setting. Is this because of Direct-X or just old hardware.
Hardware : intel 82810-dc100 graphics 4mb, screen = 640x480

Subdrag have you allready tryed OpenGL in an editor "Well, opengl would work too. I got the thing displaying, but I could not get the textures going properly. Camera never worked as I wanted either" if so have you still got it and brifly how did you do it.

Hey gaming master 2k, don't give up on that tutorial. You might be able to cut time down drasticly if you keep persavering and it works. I don't know how that tutorial woks but just try not to time it to the 24 hours but take you're time even if it takes 34 hrs. Just a sugestion...

Thanks, Trevor

Last edited by trevor; 5th April 2005 at 08:06 PM.

Old 5th April 2005, 09:32 PM
McLovin

What I need is more than just displaying triangles. I can do that, even though the textures never seemed to work right, but that could just be parsing from GE. What I need is someone capable of making the editor. Moving around, clicking, add walls, etc. That's not easy.

Old 6th April 2005, 02:38 AM
ᴅʀᴀɴᴋ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴜɴᴄʜ

Total Awards: 5
Imagination Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor
There is one problem with the sound stripper, it speeds up some sounds. Is that to save space?
Not that this will add anything useful this late in the topic, but I thought I'd stick in a few cents

It's not that the sound rippers speed them up, they're already like that in most games. All sounds are recorded and sped up 'cause, obviously, if they're sped up, they're shorter and thus, they don't take up as much space on the cart.

N64 carts were especially tight on space, so not only were they sped up, they were encoded in crappy quality.

Old 7th April 2005, 10:28 AM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 
sound

Hey, about that memory thing. Wern't the chips about 60 odd Meg capacity (later technology obviasly increased size eg. PC ram was about 32Mb average, now you're looking at 525Mb average on new computers) but manufactured down to the game's size. Goldeneye is only 16 Meg, that rouphly leaves 44Mb to play with.
oh and about that "crapy quality." I don't think it's crapy, (on N64) although after stripping it's not good.

Gold Jinjo before you disappear, do you know anything about the above, or prievios pages. Thanks.

Trev

p.s. You're not too late for anything.
Anyone ells with ideas, programming skills ect. please poast and let us know, thanks.

Last edited by trevor; 7th April 2005 at 10:33 AM.

Old 19th April 2005, 06:07 PM
Clanker

INFECTED - B1K1 
Hey hows it going with the editors. It's been quiet for a while and I was woundering if it has been forgotten already.
I just poasted to tell you that I'm now learning how to program in Visual Basic at a standerd grade level (in my own time). This morning I eventualy picked up the courage to ask the head of computing in the school if she could teach me. She gave me a couple of bookletts to read (but I'll need more than that ). I also managed to learn how to program very simple programs in QBasic.

I still havn't found anyone who could do some programming yet, b...-deleted-...y.

There is one more question I want to ask, how can you get to the level data in the rom.

trev

Last edited by trevor; 1st January 2006 at 01:29 PM.

Old 19th April 2005, 09:46 PM
McLovin

Learning program is a useful tool. But one step at a time. The level data is compressed, we've uncompressed it.

Tags
007, editor, goldeneye, levels, replace

User Tag List