Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 9th December 2010, 01:01 AM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zondekel View Post
I haven't purchased Banana Juice, and I'm trying to go as long as possible without doing so. Same with Squawks and the extra heart.
Did end up buying a whole bunch of balloons, though, because I had 999 coins and it doesn't allow you to have any more.

I'm at Tiki Tong. I'm liking the final fight.
Wow, really? If I didn't get all the jiggies the first two times I played through the stage, I bought Squawks posthaste. I never wanted to start a new stage without having totally cleared out the one before it; that's how I roll. Banana juice is very nice in some stages like Blast & Bounce, where the challenges become a cakewalk, and they make you beat the whole game again without taking a single hit for 200% completion anyway.

And the Tiki Tong fight is indeed epic. The way DK beats him... no, no, I shan't spoil it for you.

Old 9th December 2010, 01:09 AM
Mercury Star Power, Make Up~!

Total Awards: 10
Awesome Default Medal You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
Wow, really? If I didn't get all the jiggies the first two times I played through the stage, I bought Squawks posthaste. I never wanted to start a new stage without having totally cleared out the one before it; that's how I roll.
Eh. I went through each stage first and only went back to get the KONG letters if I missed them, or I just really liked the level. I intend to go back after I finish all the temples and find the Jiggies. I'll probably end up needing Squawks eventually, but I'm really trying to do everything on my own.

Quote:
And the Tiki Tong fight is indeed epic. The way DK beats him... no, no, I shan't spoil it for you.
I'm as far as the phase when
Spoiler: (highlight to view)
he's lost his hands and starts slamming the ground with himself and then starts shooting flaming tikis / birds / bats / something at you, and you've got to hit his head.

Without telling me what comes next, how much more is there left to the fight? I assume it's probably halfway through.

Old 9th December 2010, 05:55 AM
I'M A BIG WEE WEE HEAD!!!!

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! RWP Donator INFECTED - B1K1 
Getting this for Christmas. Should be fun.

Old 9th December 2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zondekel View Post

I'm as far as the phase when
Spoiler: (highlight to view)
he's lost his hands and starts slamming the ground with himself and then starts shooting flaming tikis / birds / bats / something at you, and you've got to hit his head.

Without telling me what comes next, how much more is there left to the fight? I assume it's probably halfway through.
Nevermind. Just beat him.

Old 10th December 2010, 12:05 AM

Brotip: you can blow on the flaming hearts to turn them into normal hearts. Collect for hearty win.

Anyone got any tips for Perilous Passage on mirror mode?

Old 10th December 2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
Brotip: you can blow on the flaming hearts to turn them into normal hearts. Collect for hearty win.
Yeah. I figured that out.

I'm in the Golden Temple. It's ridiculous. Not the difficulty (well, that's kind of ridiculous, too, especially collecting the Jiggies), but just the concept itself.

Old 10th December 2010, 10:04 AM

I don't understand how to get Shiny Gold ranking in mine-cart levels (or Rocket Barrel levels, for that matter). They're... heh... on-rails levels- unless you screw up at the beginning you're going to get Gold rank. You can't make your cart (or rocket barrel) go any faster, so how are you supposed to improve on a set time?

Old 12th December 2010, 01:40 PM
Funniest Member ('13 - '14)

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Oh sure, the one theme they don't remix is the credits theme.

Old 12th December 2010, 02:50 PM

Well, it starts out the same... for, like, 10 seconds, until the DK Island Swing starts...

Old 12th December 2010, 03:53 PM

Yeah I know. I was pumped for the first ten seconds. I got chills.

Old 12th December 2010, 04:00 PM

They neglected other themes beside the credits theme. I kept waiting for a nice Slipslide Ride and it never came. I think some of the cliff stages might have been a good match for it, even Boulder Roller, though it'd be a pretty hardcore case of soundtrack dissonance. They didn't do K. Rool's theme, neithers, but that was to be expected.

If you guys want a cool credits theme remix, go to OCRemix and look for "Rare Reminiscence".

Old 12th December 2010, 07:11 PM
Lord of Games

Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Yeah, it was kinda dumb how they didn't use the original Credits theme. It's not bad, but it just bugs me.

Old 12th December 2010, 07:30 PM

People have said the soundtrack for the game wasn't that great but I thought it was good enough. I especially liked world 8. It really showcased the game's audio-visual capabilities. Furious Fire is a great theme. Also the Golden Temple's remix of DK Jr. is cool but other parts of the song have this majestic Lion King feel to them or something I don't even know what it is but it's beautiful. Seriously how does it not make anyone who hears immediately want to play that level.

I haven't beaten it but I haven't tried it that many times... compared to some of the other levels anyway.

edit: I do have one complaint about the game. The time trials and the way they're set up is ridiculous and stupid. Why the hell does the time keep going after you die once? And there are checkpoints. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? I just end up having to select retry on the menu every time I die. The time trials suck anyway. I got a silver medal on the first level.

Or maybe I just suck at the time trials. Either way I don't find them fun but I never saw the point in speed-running so whatever. Mirror Mode is meh. Maybe I'll do it when I want to play through all the levels again but for now I'm done with the game.

Last edited by Esteban Colberto; 12th December 2010 at 08:23 PM.

Old 15th December 2010, 07:44 PM

Oh, so that's where the Golden Temple music came from!

My favorite new themes are Mast Blast and Sticky Situation. The rest are a little meh, but not bad. They'll grow on me in time.

Old 25th December 2010, 08:54 PM
Mr. Pants

A'ight, so I got this game...

HOLY.

MOTHER.

OF EPIC.

This game gave me the biggest nostalgia-gasm i've ever felt in a while. Sonic 4 gave me one, but not to the extent... OF THIS. DKCR is undoubtably, one of the greatest, if not, THE greatest game for the Wii. I can think of very little negative aspects-- difficulty is spot on. Music is like ear sex. Gameplay is tight, and co-op is fun as hell. Graphics? Oh sweet Jesus yes.

Almost everything is perfect-- except for the lack of friendly Kongs (Candy, Funky, Sw@nky, Wrinkly, etc.) and animal buddies. I'm currently in the Ruins area, and from what i've played, not only is the game fluid, it's also quite innovative. The rocketbarrel pirate ship level is a blast. The octopus chase is intense... the crumbling temple level made me sweat. There was something new at every turn!

I F**KING LOVE THIS GAME. FIVE F**KING STARS, BITCH.

User Tag List