Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > The Banjo Kazooie Series

The Banjo Kazooie Series General Discussion about the Banjo Kazooie series from the N64 classics to the handheld sequels & new Xbox games.

Old 20th June 2018, 02:18 AM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
Arrow Banjo-Kazooie's 20th Anniversary

Yeah, you know it! Happy birthday!

I am creating this pre-versary, so we may discuss it. Banjo-Kazooie released to the world on the 29th of June, 1998.

A lot can happen in 1 year, let alone 20. I was 3 when this game first came out. Yet, in spite of this, and despite numerous changes to the gaming industry, technology and society as a whole, Banjo-Kazooie still plays as good as it always has. I am delighted to find that as I have grown older, my high opinion of the game has scarcely taken a scratch. Not out of so-called nostalgia, blind love or an unwillingness to be open about the game's faults. But because I have taken an honest analysis of it all, and found almost no faults. I can point to a few, but not many. Those that are there trend toward being minor, and trivial.
The closer I look to try to find flaws, the more surprised and elated I become, seeing that there is nothing to be seen. Granted, I've played the game since early childhood, and thus know all of its ins-and-outs. So there's this sort of wall that blocks me from sympathizing with common complaints, like the camera or swimming controls, and nor am I remotely bothered by having to recollect Musical Notes. And there could be some unintentional bias there. Still though. The lowest score I could ever possibly give this game is a 9.5/10. It's less video game and more an experience; an adventure.
The sunny innocence of Spiral Mountain is ever as pure, the whimsical grandeur and oddball surrealism is always a fuel to fascinate, the character, sense of atmosphere and at times mystery are all palpably thick. It's packed to the brim with originality and charm. The game is timeless.

The dawn of the new millennium arrived. Then the 2000's came, and went, the 2010's came, and are nearly over now, but Banjo-Kazooie has stayed. I have a feeling that, while kids and teens may no longer be growing up with the game these days, Banjo-Kazooie will continue to inspire for many years to come. As a sort of pillar of what can be done.

May the bear and bird have a very happy birthday indeed.

To be sure.

Old 21st June 2018, 04:17 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 17
You're Appreciated! Mystery Four Mystery One Thread Starter Imagination 
20 years is a long time.

Even though I know it is moot, I still hold on to a faint thread that there will be another game... even though it is baseless and just a nostalgic hope.

Buterflies are insex. ~TwilightVestige

Old 21st June 2018, 05:59 AM
Jolly Rodger

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
20 years... I still get a BK tune stuck in my head every. single. day.

Celebratory punch all around! (Is that still a thing around here?)

Old 21st June 2018, 02:23 PM
Missing Hero

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Happy Birthday Banjo & Kazooie

Now...where is Banjo-Threeie?

Old 21st June 2018, 02:23 PM
Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyme123 View Post
Even though I know it is moot, I still hold on to a faint thread that there will be another game... even though it is baseless and just a nostalgic hope.
It's not that baseless to be honest. Banjo is still popular and there's actually been a lot worth discussing about it over the past few years, which is more than most retired video game franchises can say. If you have no faith in modern Rare to make a good Banjo game, (which I do; despite what most people say, there's still a lot of talented people there. Plus as long as they have Gregg Mayles, I'm not worried.) then at least have faith that another studio'll pick it up. After all, they did just recently say that they're willing to lend their IPs to the right studios, as long as they and Rare both have a vision for a game and everything's copacetic.

I was expecting something for Banjo's 20th, too. There are rumblings about a Banjo-themed Sea of Thieves event, (Treasure Trove Cove?) because Sea of Thieves does has a lot of Banjo references floating in the waters, and the current SoT event, Skeleton Thrones, ends on the 26th this month. And they have yet to say what the next one is.

Don't forget also, the message written on the Banjo-Kazooie disc in LOGBOX 720, which quips as to whether anyone will remember Nuts and Bolts in ten years' time, and to come back for yourself, and find out. Well, possibly no one at Rare even remembers they wrote that. But come November this year, it will have been a decade since Nuts and Bolts came out. The 20th anniversary may pass by quietly, but the game isn't over yet.

Old 22nd June 2018, 12:19 PM
Glowbo

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
20 years... I still get a BK tune stuck in my head every. single. day.

Celebratory punch all around! (Is that still a thing around here?)
I was actually thinking on hunting down one of those vinyl releases that came out a while back

Old 23rd June 2018, 05:50 AM
Mercury Star Power, Make Up~!

Total Awards: 10
Awesome Default Medal You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On 
My best friend got it when it came out- when we went to New York for the Mario Rabbids launch and met Grant Kirkhope and Davide Soliani, Grant signed it for him. Pretty rad

Old 23rd June 2018, 07:59 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyo76 View Post
Don't forget also, the message written on the Banjo-Kazooie disc in LOGBOX 720, which quips as to whether anyone will remember Nuts and Bolts in ten years' time, and to come back for yourself, and find out. Well, possibly no one at Rare even remembers they wrote that. But come November this year, it will have been a decade since Nuts and Bolts came out. The 20th anniversary may pass by quietly, but the game isn't over yet.
Remember it, sure. Is it a cult classic like BK and BT are, now? Hardly. You can't even bank on a company keeping a pseudo-promise they made ten years ago.

Old 24th June 2018, 01:59 AM
Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazam View Post
nills and i just noticed the url of this thread
nice GET qwerty
That awkward feeling when a url is more impressive thing you'v ever posted.

I consider this a joint victory.

Old 24th June 2018, 07:16 AM
Darth Dubzicus

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! Imagination Reminiscence Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
I’m not completely sure on this but Stop N swop might of started my love of anything Beta and unused in video games!

Old 26th June 2018, 03:26 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Whats so special about the URL? 1282137?

Old 28th June 2018, 07:49 PM
Fired

Well crud. For circumstances I won't plunge into, I could but probably shouldn't play BK on its 20th birthdate tomorrow. I guess I'm okay with that, just so long as I know it's what I personally decide to do, and that I think it's the right course of action to take. Bit of a bummer, but I'll keep chipper.

I suppose this means I'll have my own little birthday celebration with BK later in July, or August or something, which might wind up being even more fun. Are any of you guys doing playthroughs?

Old 29th June 2018, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Total Awards: 8
You're Appreciated! Puzzle Six Awesome Default Medal RWP Donator RWP Podcast 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyo76 View Post
Well crud. For circumstances I won't plunge into, I could but probably shouldn't play BK on its 20th birthdate tomorrow. I guess I'm okay with that, just so long as I know it's what I personally decide to do, and that I think it's the right course of action to take. Bit of a bummer, but I'll keep chipper.

I suppose this means I'll have my own little birthday celebration with BK later in July, or August or something, which might wind up being even more fun. Are any of you guys doing playthroughs?
I was going to say that I just did a play through, but then I realised that was actually 18 months ago and in moments my house became a barren shell and my flesh turned to dust

Old 29th June 2018, 05:53 PM
Fired

Oh?

Old 29th June 2018, 11:28 PM
Most Creative Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 8
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Reminiscence Rarity 
>Just yet

I drew this in commemoration of this day.

Tags
lol tags

User Tag List