Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 12th April 2016, 04:44 AM
Lord of Games

Total Awards: 2
Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Colberto View Post
Okay, there are a few major flaws in the line of thinking that says Nintendo is creatively limited and will possibly not tell as interesting stories with a cover-all, gender-neutral script. First, all art, all stories, are "creatively limited." Second, it could just as easily go in the other direction. New possibilities for interesting writing could open up as a result of a gender neutral script. There's no reason why that couldn't be the case. Like holy crap, people are really reaching to have severe imaginary hang-ups over an issue concerning a rumor for a game that we know almost nothing about.
I really don't see what you're not getting. This creative freedom is largely what has let Zeldas stories, while usually simple, be memorable and interesting. I care a lot more about Link in the likes of Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess than I do the ones where he's given basically no personality in games such as Phantom Hourglass, A Link to the Past, the NES games, and Triforce Heroes. And this is largely due to the amount of personality he has and the amount of interaction with other characters. If we can safely assume this game will be structured in a similar manner to past Zeldas (not unreasonable since the structure usually remains the same), I'd rather not see pointless limitations being added to the character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I don't understand this line of thought at all. Nintendo hasn't shown us anything about the game yet. (And no, the E3 "trailers" don't count, just look at the first Banjo NaB footage before the game came out.) There are countless games that provide a gender choice to the player that is interchangeable, with the story still having meaning. (See Mass Effect.) Wait until we at least have a real trailer before you write them off.

I also don't see anything about Link's character that requires Link to be male either. Again, I haven't played most of the 3D Zeldas, but is Link going around laying pipe in some game that I haven't noticed? If it matters that much to you, just pick the male option and call him Link. That way if the story is the same, your experience literally is what you want it to.
I don't see how Mass Effect is relevant when it's a game where the main character is fully characterized (usually by player input) and has full lines of dialogue. It's a far cry from Zelda. A more suitable comparison would be something like Chrono Trigger or Half Life, both of which I'd argue against the option for the exact same reason as here.

Your second paragraph is either ignoring or misinterpreting everything I've just said. I don't care if there's a female Link, I'd just rather have the writers pick a gender and stick to it than try and juggle two different genders in a single story that's ultimately written for neither.

Last edited by Dylan Yoshi; 12th April 2016 at 04:55 AM.

Old 12th April 2016, 04:44 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
now i really don't get that reasoning

e; @ derek, not dylan

Old 12th April 2016, 04:57 AM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
I haven't misinterpreted anything you've said. You haven't responded to my point either - what is it about the Legend of Zelda story is served by Link being a male, specifically? How do you know that the game that has had zero information about it revealed will have a flimsy story based on a male or female option?

Old 12th April 2016, 05:21 AM
Lord of Games

Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
I haven't once condemned this game's story as being flimsy, so if it's not a misinterpretation and you're not ignoring my points, I don't know what you're talking about.

I've already mentioned a few examples of parts from past Zelda games that I feel would be worse if Link was female. I'm afraid I don't understand what you're looking for?

Old 12th April 2016, 05:37 AM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
Why of all the things is this a thread that blew up on rwp.

Old 12th April 2016, 05:37 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

the problem imo is assuming that a zelda game written with a gender option in mind would hinge on moments similar to those

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyo76 View Post
Why of all the things is this a thread that blew up on rwp.
cause princess zelda is actually super gay, and also i'm princess zelda

Old 12th April 2016, 05:56 AM
Lord of Games

Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Whether it hinges on those moments or not isn't the point. I'd argue that previous Zeldas were better off because of moments like those. If this Zelda, and any future Zeldas for that matter, are completely UNABLE to have moments like those, I think that's a pretty big restriction to have.

Old 12th April 2016, 06:09 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

zelda games don't need to have moments that hinge heavily on link's gender to have interesting moments

Old 12th April 2016, 07:16 AM
Lord of Games

Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Sure, but whether they hinge heavily or to a minimal extent doesn't change that it's a narrative device that is rendered useless in what could be all future Zelda games.

Old 12th April 2016, 01:14 PM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Total Awards: 13
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
now i really don't get that reasoning

e; @ derek, not dylan
what?

Old 12th April 2016, 05:47 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
what?
i mean, it's not really a huge deal i guess, but i don't know why you'd be afraid of having your favorite character be customizable just in general, when it's not like customizing them would be forced on you

though i guess that's getting into a different argument

Old 12th April 2016, 05:54 PM
North American Scum

Why don't you just pick the male option and name him Link... if the story is the same for both, you won't know the difference? And if they are different, isn't that a nice option to have to have a different experience?

Old 12th April 2016, 05:59 PM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Total Awards: 13
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Why don't you just pick the male option and name him Link... if the story is the same for both, you won't know the difference? And if they are different, isn't that a nice option to have to have a different experience?
That is what I'll do, it's not a big deal. I made this thread knowing it would get this kind of response.

Just know that I am not sexist, people. I'm just some guy on the internet with an opinion. The last thing I want is anyone thinking less of me for liking Link the way I've always known him.

Old 12th April 2016, 06:12 PM
North American Scum

Nah, I doubt anybody here thinks you or Dylan Yoshi are sexist. (Although I certainly think that some people opposed to this idea are.) I'm just personally fascinated by the visceral reaction, since I never thought Link being a dude was really that important. But I'm also not a devotee of the franchise.

Old 12th April 2016, 07:22 PM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
I think it's important to note that a female option for Link would still be the same character. He gets reincarnated, over and over. Being reincarnated as a different sex doesn't change him/her's progression as a character.

It's like if one of your best friends got a sex change. Is it still the same person? Of course.

User Tag List