Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > The Banjo Kazooie Series

The Banjo Kazooie Series General Discussion about the Banjo Kazooie series from the N64 classics to the handheld sequels & new Xbox games.

Old 12th November 2018, 07:08 AM
Missing Hero

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
It's interesting that 20 years later—despite modern games all essentially have a "shared" save data space—the only games I can actually recall taking advantage of that are the BK/BT rereleases on Xbox.* If a game were to do this today, I would probably still think it's extremely cool. But why do that when they could sell you the unlockable instead.

[COLOR="Gray"]*I'm sure consoles have software restrictions in place to prevent one game from wrecking havoc with another game's data. If they're anything like iOS, though, software from a developer could read and write data of another piece of software by the same developer.
You can transfer items and game status from Shenmue to Shenmue II.
You can transfer characters from Lego Star Wars to Lego Star Wars II.

But IMO the best connection between two video games are Transfer Pak features in Mario Tennis. You can transfer GBC characters and text to N64 version and also unlock some courts. Then you can transfer N64 characters to GBC version. It works great.

Old 14th November 2018, 12:54 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoPL View Post
You can transfer items and game status from Shenmue to Shenmue II.
You can transfer characters from Lego Star Wars to Lego Star Wars II.

But IMO the best connection between two video games are Transfer Pak features in Mario Tennis. You can transfer GBC characters and text to N64 version and also unlock some courts. Then you can transfer N64 characters to GBC version. It works great.
Why didn't Nintendo just add that to the GameCube since it could hold way more data?

Old 14th November 2018, 03:23 PM
Missing Hero

The real question is why Rare didn't use Controller Pak for the feature...?

Old 20th November 2018, 02:21 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 17
You're Appreciated! Mystery Four Mystery One Thread Starter Imagination 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoPL View Post
The real question is why Rare didn't use Controller Pak for the feature...?
Yeah... that is a big question. It was almost like it was designed to allow data to be saved between consoles and game packs... :|

Buterflies are insex. ~TwilightVestige

Old 20th November 2018, 11:36 PM
Glowbo

Hi guys, I'm Fabio from Italy! Sorry but I have not found the lobby for introducing myself

The series of Banjo-Kazooie it is one of my favourite, the best, recently I have picked up again so I have decided to join RWP. I remember in my childhood, when the Nintendo 64 was my first console ever, and BK was the second videogame that I've ever played before Super Mario 64.

If the BK game is amazing, with the most original soundtrack, gameplay and story, the Stop n Swop background twice. I remember that damn ICE KEY first and after the ending scene on Hammeread Beach that day by day I was looking for reach the secret items, even in the sequel BT.

In every moment during gameplay I knew that something was strange with Sharkfood Island, Wozza's Cave, with the closed door in Gobys Valley and the barrel in Mad Monster Mansion.

So thank you for the new amazing news about the SnS, unfortunately I have missed the good old days of this amazing website and forums that discovered so many things about the background, I only imagine the surprise when IceMario and SubDrag discovered the secret codes. Nothing compared for sure with Rare Replay revelation (Except Dream).

IMHO I think that we have reached most of the information about the game and SnS, and I suppose that every code of the cartridges/roms gets analyzed but maybe some of the theories, especially the Grabbed by the Ghoulies one was not so wrong, maybe it's crazy but I have always believed that there was a secret level or something like that to uncover again, Rare did not tell us everything.

Last edited by BKMax; 20th November 2018 at 11:46 PM.

Old 27th November 2018, 11:24 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazam View Post
hey, welcome bkmax!

your post made me think, in terms of things we don't know...if banjopl's post is right about sns being intended for goldeneye and blast corps, there would be remnants of what it unlocked in those games, right? maybe the built-in zx spectrum emulator would have been put to use with the right egg, lol
Hi, thank you Alakazam! I agree with you, I think the same!

BanjoPL information about secret levels was very interesting, why the post it is no more visible? Some Rare hacker engineer that want to cover secrets?

Old 4th September 2019, 04:35 AM
Missing Hero

Another update (with new info from Twitter)

- SNS was planned as "transfering the codes" feature between Banjo-Kazooie and few upcoming Rare games (Donkey Kong 64, Banjo-Tooie, Conker 64, Jet Force Gemini and Perfect Dark) after doing "full circle" player was supposed to return to the first game (Banjo-Kazooie) and access super special bonus - 6 eggs and ice key, it was planned as cold swap feature - player could have 24 seconds to shift cartridges and transfer "the codes" between games, at some point it was coded into Donkey Kong 64 and next planned game was Jet Force Gemini, Nintendo told Banjo Team to disable the feature at the very last minute in Banjo-Kazooie because they saw it as dangerous idea for N64 hardware,

- sandcastle codes were a backup plan if "connecting all Rare games" plan would be impossible - if so Banjo Team had an idea to release them at the right time so players could still have access to the secrets in Banjo-Kazooie and use them in the sequel,
- Controler Pak was never planned for the feature,

-PD Team was unaware that Banjo Team had a plan to connect Banjo-Kazooie and Perfect Dark in future, everything releated to SNS was only in the minds of Banjo Team,

-prizes for Banjo-Tooie were not designed during development of Banjo-Kazooie - it was left for later,

Last edited by BanjoPL; 4th September 2019 at 05:24 AM.

Old 5th September 2019, 03:48 PM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 1
RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award 
A lost or removed SNS egg would make sense. I always thought that there was a removed sandcastle cheat given the games code. If my memory serves I think that Subdrag and Ice Mario found 59 sandcastle codes in total which seemed like an odd number . It may have either been related to the Toxic Waste in Rusty Bucket Bay or the Transformation room door ( as there is a pretty big blank space behind that door). It's also been backed up by another rare employee that that transformation room door was meant for something https://www.gamekult.com/forum/t/int...rareware/72170

Not been on here for a while, but Banjo on Smash has bought back some great memories.

Old 23rd April 2020, 10:42 AM
Missing Hero

Congratulations to runehero123
He figured out how SNS works in Banjo-Kazooie few years ago. He even menaged to emulate Cold Swap by hacking. He figured out that Banjo-Kazooie is looking for flags during boot-up. He confirmed that there aren't SNS flags in Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo-Tooie. This interview confirmed everything what our hero already found.

Last edited by BanjoPL; 23rd April 2020 at 11:52 AM.

User Tag List