Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 30th April 2014, 07:26 PM
Clanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibinekodemyx View Post
Question. I want to view the Banjo "10 - jiggy/note door " animation for a GIF I am making. I'm at the moment trying to remove the "*jiggy symbol* - 10" from the picture so the gif shows just Banjo bowing and dancing but it is taking forever. Is it possible to view just that animation in bottles' glasses?

Thank you!
Bottles' Glasses won't do that for you. If you need a gif of something, record it with something like Hypercam 2 (free) and then convert the .avi file with MS Gif Animator to a gif.

Old 30th April 2014, 07:48 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Bottles' Glasses won't do that for you. If you need a gif of something, record it with something like Hypercam 2 (free) and then convert the .avi file with MS Gif Animator to a gif.
That's not the problem. I have a recording already. Normally I'd just remove the background from the frames. But at the bottom, while he's dancing, the 10-jiggy text is still there. I want a way to either trigger the dance without the 10 jiggy text there.
*Note* I know he does the dance for the note door too, but the camera isn't close up on banjo and he's gotta turn around while the camera zooms in

Old 30th April 2014, 10:42 PM
Clanker

Quote:
That's not the problem. I have a recording already. Normally I'd just remove the background from the frames. But at the bottom, while he's dancing, the 10-jiggy text is still there. I want a way to either trigger the dance without the 10 jiggy text there.
*Note* I know he does the dance for the note door too, but the camera isn't close up on banjo and he's gotta turn around while the camera zooms in
Why don't you shrink the entire image?

Old 1st May 2014, 02:57 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatNi View Post
Why don't you shrink the entire image?
How would that work and achieve the result I'm looking for?

Old 1st May 2014, 03:09 AM
Clanker

Quote:
How would that work and achieve the result I'm looking for?
Weren't you only trying to cut out some kind of jiggy count at the bottom?

EDIT: In the end, you won't be able to use Bottles' Glasses for you purpose. It only allows you to view the models of BK/BT/DK64 and export them to .obj format.

Last edited by TheGreatNi; 1st May 2014 at 03:11 AM.

Old 1st May 2014, 09:39 PM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Words.
You should go for Rareware Central forums. We don't really support Banjo's Backpack. Everyone who uses it posts over there, including the creators.

Old 1st May 2014, 11:09 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatNi View Post
Weren't you only trying to cut out some kind of jiggy count at the bottom?

EDIT: In the end, you won't be able to use Bottles' Glasses for you purpose. It only allows you to view the models of BK/BT/DK64 and export them to .obj format.
The problem was the jiggy count was in front of his feet. And when banjo would bow, the jiggy + text would obscure his head.

But thanks for answering my question. I was hoping I could isolate the model and view animations for said model. I'll have to try an alternative method.

Old 22nd June 2014, 10:00 PM
Glowbo

chibinekodemyx: I can rip the textures from the jiggy and create a GIF, if you still want it.

Old 29th September 2016, 08:15 PM
Dingpot

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Love how the Banjo's Backpack guys refuse to acknowledge the fact that it wouldn't exist without my releasing the source to BG... I'm mentioned nowhere, but oh well. I'm not one to hold grudges, but it's quite clear that much of my code was used. :/ Granted they've exceeded its capabilities by miles, but without knowledge of the model format and N64 GBI, I doubt it'd ever have manifested.

Last edited by cooliscool; 29th September 2016 at 08:17 PM.

Old 30th September 2016, 08:40 PM
McLovin

Total Awards: 3
INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal Random Award 
Hey cooliscool! Didn't you have a project you were supposed to do for me, hah. I am sure everyone would acknowledge Bottles Glasses was very helpful getting started in the beginning. I could never find the source myself but I presume it was based on the N64 ucode documentation. Anyways, I think that Banjos Backpack has come so far and so different from the original viewer that it was accidentally overlooked, missing a credit. I am sure the Skill is thankful for BG, and everyone from then remembers BG as a starting point. It seems like a minor oversight and I imagine credit should be a note in the readme/release notes if it is not already (maybe it is?) especially as more and more newer people use the amazing BB tool, which I am excited is branching out to new games like Banjo Tooie.

Last edited by SubDrag; 30th September 2016 at 09:02 PM.

Old 30th September 2016, 10:07 PM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 

Old 13th December 2016, 03:36 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Rarity RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
I miss the theorists.

Old 14th August 2017, 01:22 PM
Clanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooliscool View Post
Love how the Banjo's Backpack guys refuse to acknowledge the fact that it wouldn't exist without my releasing the source to BG... I'm mentioned nowhere, but oh well. I'm not one to hold grudges, but it's quite clear that much of my code was used. :/ Granted they've exceeded its capabilities by miles, but without knowledge of the model format and N64 GBI, I doubt it'd ever have manifested.
While this is an old post, this post was brought to my attention yesterday on IRC. If it was bought to my attention earlier then not sure why I didn't reply, perhaps I did?

Anyway, certainly BG is a fantastic program and is mentioned a fair bit over on BB [example from ~2015], your name and the program's name appear in the release thread here:

https://banjosbackpack.com/forums/sh...2-Public-Alpha

and will appear in Help->About in the new version.

The original BB v1 was designed to look like BG (and on purpose too as like we have said over there many times it's a great program).

BB v1's F3dex interpreter and importer is based on source from Glide, Jario, http://wiki.cloudmodding.com (not sure if that was the domain name though?) and def snippets from BG, I also remember messaging xDan on the core about a few things when I started the model importer, but in general BB doesn't use direct source from any of those (though I do remember your VTX implementation) as it has expanded into animation and animation importing etc but certainly spring boarded my knowledge.

I wish this came to me over at BB and didn't take a year to get resolved.

BTW does BG do DK64 models?

I have written a setup viewer for DK here:

https://banjosbackpack.com/cl-japes1.png
https://banjosbackpack.com/cl-japes5.png

Happy to give the model file info if required

Last edited by Skill; 14th August 2017 at 02:09 PM.

Old 13th October 2017, 01:26 PM
Dingpot

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Hi Skill, thank you for the reply, especially after enough time had passed for you to have just ignored it. I appreciate it
That post was certainly not indicative ofy feelings; I recall I was feeling slightly unrecognized and low at that moment, so I made it. Indeed, it is out of character for me to make such vain claims, as my goalnis simply advancement and enrichment of humanity in any way, I care not for the ego's cries for attention. I am elated that BB is as advanced as it is, and having inspired or aided in it is fantastic. Hope you reach your ambitions with it; from experience, I know it is a tall order to be truly finished with a significant piece of work. Respect, love and light, all of you. It is nice to reflect on BG and be happy that it enriched our little corner however it may have.

Oh, and BG only fully supports BK. BT models, outside of levels, work great, but I stopped before implementing IO of the common map asset bank, or however precisely map textures are stored. Dk64 was planned and I even engineered the format and logic, but never implemented it due to becoming despondent in life. Has a way of ruining ambition.

That being said, I plan to release something of a complete engine simulator, with a comprehensive, easy, quite large editing suite for a very popular game series; something far more than a simple viewer/extractor and something with ideas brand new to the game hacking & specifically the editor creation scene I hold so dear. Hiatus is becoming.. Tiresome! Hence why I checked this thread, for a bit of inspiration, to see this niche passion that I have, against my will but by cruel necessity and mental, well, complexities, almost forgotten I used to be so utterly devoted to, and which I used to derive so much joy from, away from petty behaviors. Ahh, how fond I remain.

Hopefully my silence will be shattered soon. Honestly, these ideas are old but without logical implementation and forgotten, but they may raise the singles devi editor bar a bit, which is good for us all. Lastly, I would like to commend BB; it is a hell of a piece of work. These ideas will suit it well when I unveil them, surely, ignoring implementation difficulties or codebase rigidity (always hard. Would like to see bb's source if you will share; I would love to add my uniquely intuitive concepts to it & help in general - bb could be modularized to serve as a template for editors for games, even leavinf game-exclusivities (asset formats, anything but GBI/uCode interpreting, recomplation, and execution, which could be a single class for every game N64 games, to the limits of our HLE understanding that is to say; where a low level approach for certain GBI setups would require disparity. Obviously, as we are a decade beyong BG's inception, as time would generally, but not implicitly, indicate, I am a very senior developer, and particularly adept in code optimization, UI perfection (I have had to create UIs for absolute morons that were no less capable than a pure hex editor), expansion and modularization of new and existing codebases, etc, as my daily engineering work for years has demanded such. I am def. not some clueless kid wanting to peek at magic, indeed I could add a lot. No worries if not. I just find it to be pretty ideal in many ways and from a fundamental perspective can be much more. )

Last edited by cooliscool; 13th October 2017 at 01:54 PM.

Old 19th October 2017, 11:37 AM
Clanker

Good to hear from you, and good to hear that we can move forward on this in a positive way.

What your working on sounds really cool, looking forward to hearing what comes out!

BB's next version has an animation importer as shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcWOpC75yGg

It was a lot of work to get it going and I'm more than happy to share my knowledge and code snippets on how I did it if it helps you at all with your editor. Though you likely already have a process of something like this and mine is very BK/BT specific.

I am going to be releasing what I did of WW on github or the like soon (soon being a very relative term) once I can clean it up because its a mess, if it's of use when I release that feel free to take what you need from it. I think WW could then become a project that anyone can work on and your ideas certainly sound fantastic.

I am fully aware that you are not clueless and would surpass my level of expertise. Having someone like yourself looking at WW or taking WW into a project that could be used as a base for other projects sounds awesome.

The reason I suggest WW over BB is that I really want to do more with WW and this gives me a reason to bring the BB stuff into WW and do some clean up along the way.

BTW here is the Help->About for BB's next release:

https://banjosbackpack.com/bb2/about.png

If you have a website or a link you want there let me know or shoot me a pm and I can add that in.

Last edited by Skill; 19th October 2017 at 11:53 AM.

User Tag List