Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 3rd January 2015, 03:32 AM
On DKVine

Total Awards: 6
INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Wiki-Master Rarity Awesome Default Medal 
The Nintendo DS is 10 Years Old

And Super Mario 64 DS is still about $30 at Gamestop!

So yeah, this blew my mind today.

Old 3rd January 2015, 03:52 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 10
You're Appreciated! Bashful Imagination Game On Reminiscence 
Well Super Mario 64 is one of the top 3 games on the console in my opinion, so it's still totally worth it.

Old 3rd January 2015, 05:36 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
d-pad controls are for dorks

ANALOG STICKS FOR LIFE

Old 3rd January 2015, 07:19 AM
Jinjo

What's everyone's favorite games for the system? My number one would have to be TWEWY, but HGSS is one of the best remakes I've ever seen for any franchise.

Old 3rd January 2015, 09:18 AM
Forever Mental

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
Any Professor Layton game.

Best DS series hands down

Old 3rd January 2015, 05:43 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
Rune Factory 3 is a pretty good game.

Old 4th January 2015, 02:45 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 15
Mystery Four Mystery Three Mystery Two Mystery One INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
And Super Mario 64 DS is still about $30 at Gamestop!

So yeah, this blew my mind today.
This bothers me so hard, I still see stores trying to sell New Super Mario Bros for 40€ or more. It's like anything after the GBA never lost any value. Meanwhile, Wii games are cheaper than DS games.
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 4th January 2015, 04:18 AM
Jinjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smouvy View Post
This bothers me so hard, I still see stores trying to sell New Super Mario Bros for 40€ or more. It's like anything after the GBA never lost any value. Meanwhile, Wii games are cheaper than DS games.
Pokemon games also seem to be resistant to price decay, I see FRLG going for $30+ all the time.

Old 4th January 2015, 05:06 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Again, New Super Mario Bros. and Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver at least are in my top 3 DS games of all time at spots 2 and 1 respectively. They've earned there price tags. It's certainly a bit crazy that they'll charge that, but prices match demand and the demand is clearly pretty high.

Old 4th January 2015, 03:25 PM
Rare Witch Hero

imo NSMB lost the right to that price tag when they made 3 and a half sequels to it which are borderline identical to one another.
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 4th January 2015, 04:22 PM
Rare Witch Hero

I highly disagree with you. Not with the sequel that change nothing part, but with the not earning it's price tag. It's still a great game despite the lack luster sequels that came afterwards.

Old 4th January 2015, 07:47 PM
Jinjo

I have nothing against the content added in the DS remake, but SM64 itself is extremely overrated in my eyes. Not unplayable, and fun enough that I did 100% it once, but I don't think I'd ever want to go back.

The most clearing issue with the game is its combat. If you're familiar with the terms "recovery frames" and "cancels" usually used by fighting game enthusiasts, ignore the spoiler box. Otherwise click it for an explanation.
Spoiler: (highlight to view)
Whenever you enter an attack into a fighting game, you lose almost always lose control over the character. The time before the move is able to deal damage is measured in "startup frames", and once the move is done doing damage, you don't immediately regain control of your character. If you perform a kick, it takes time for your leg to come back down, for instance. This is measured in " recovery frames".

When you perform a move in a fighting game, it's sometimes hard coded that you can enter in another move to exit it early. This is a cancel. In SM64, pressing Z to initiate a ground pound could be considered a cancel.

There is effectively only one viable way to efficiently deal with regular enemies in the combat system. You have two ways to kill them: melee attacks or jumping on them. Jumping on enemies with any sort of accuracy in a 3D platformer just doesn't work without a fixed camera a la SM3DW or Sonic Extreme. This only leaves melee attacks to be viable. Every single melee attack in the game has an absurd amount of recovery frames, making it feel clunky. The one exception is sliding into enemies and cancelling with a small hop. Your entire moveset is invalidated if only one move is both viable and easily endable. In comparison, look at Super Mario Galaxy. The star bits solve this issue wonderfully, adding a second recovery-free attack for Mario to use. Rare's games had this down too; rolling with a jump cancel works in BK too, but you also have rat-a-tat-rap as a high-damage move with minimal recovery, eggs to clear hordes of enemies at a time, and actual enemies with multiple health to warrant using slower moves like the ground pound.

My second gripe comes from the sheer amount of content you have to redo in a single level. It boggles the mind that gamers complain about having to run through the same level five times in DK64 but are fine with doing it six times in SM64. Why couldn't they have just made all stars work like the 100 coin star in each level? Taking you out of it and forcing you to backtrack is atrocious game design. Having to run halfway up a mountain, free a chain chomp, run up the same exact half-mountain then run rup the other half, run up the mountain a third time while under an invisible time limit, run up the same mountain a fourth time collecting red coins that don't carry over from previous runs, and *still* not being done with the level is unacceptable. I'm not paying Nintendo a monthly fee, there's no acceptable reason for them to pad the game like this.

Some of the level designs themselves are also atrocious. Tall Tall Mountain is plagued by the previous point, uses fewer textures than a single room of the over world, and looks like it was modeled by an intern. Being able to drop down and skip the slide segment entirely should not only not be possible, but for myself (and I'm sure many others) the drop down method was more obvious, and when it came time to getting the 100 coin star it wound up being the only time I consulted a walkthrough. I could go on about the lack of navigation options in Tiny Huge Land or the lack of feedback in that ship level early on (the name escapes me), but there's just too many level design flaws for me to want to go into them all here.

Last but not least is the "go for a small walk" counter in the corner. Imagine if you were playing any other game, and after dying a few times you had to go for a small walk to get back to exactly where you were one death ago. This is SM64's life counter. There is absolutely no variation from a death and a game over except for having to walk through Peach's Castle. This serves no purpose, and lives could have easily been removed.

Last edited by GrayMagicΓ; 4th January 2015 at 07:50 PM.

Old 4th January 2015, 08:15 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Literally the only thing wrong with SM64DS in my eyes is

Spoiler: (highlight to view)
The DPad controls

The game would be 300 times better with an analogue pad
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Last edited by Smouvy; 4th January 2015 at 08:38 PM.

Old 4th January 2015, 08:31 PM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
I've never had trouble jumping on an enemy in a 3D world. In fact, it's more like real life, so I think it's even easier. Long jumping onto Goombas at the beginning of Tall Tall Mountain was one of my favourite things as a kid, to see if I could kill them all in a single leap.

Old 4th January 2015, 09:19 PM
Jinjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiffgurl View Post
i'm not going to say that mario 64 is flawless by any stretch, and i do agree that things like the life counter are kind of pointless (i feel that way about any video game in general though honestly), but i think you're looking at the game from a banjo-kazooie perspective and expecting it to be the same thing as bk when the stars in sm64 are meant to be mission-based rather than a free-roaming collectathon
Mission based games are fine, as long as they're designed to be that way. In Galaxy missions do minimal content multiple times in most levels, 64 rarely gives you shortcuts past already-cleared content and only allows the level to start in one area. If more shortcuts were provided or multiple starting locations were available, it wouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
i disagree on the slow combat being an issue when the game feels less sluggish as a whole (to me anyway) than most other 3D platformers, and even though i'm a fellow fighting game enthusiast i don't really think that recovery frames on attacks are entirely relevant in a platformer where combat is only a minimal part of the game and you're only fighting against a smaller handful of cpu-controlled enemies, it's not like they can block and punish your attacks or something and it doesn't take THAT long after you punch a goomba to get back to running and diving around the level
It's a matter of game feel, which I suppose can be highly subjective. Still, too much recovery on the majority of your actions can feel clunky, regardless of genre. People just have different thresholds for where they find something clunky, floaty, or just right.

Quote:
course design is subjective, i like the levels in the game a lot but if you don't that's cool, i don't have an issue with stars being obtainable in an unintended way though because i think it adds an extra bit of replayability and depth to the game
If the star in question was obtainable in the unconventional way and it didn't affect anything in the future it wouldn't have been so bad, but it's literally impossible to get the 100 coin star without using the slide, and the slide isn't used for any other stars, so if you think that jumping down is the intended method then you'll be lost when you go for the 100 coin star.

User Tag List