Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 22nd June 2024, 05:56 PM
Yoshi52 Yoshi52 is offline he / him
Dingpot

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Trabajo View Post
These games are very challenging on their hardest difficulties, and even nuancedly bad controls are a nightmare in GE and PD. I had to change everything I could to get all the achievements on Xbox - not sure what they were thinking with the defaults - and even then, you can't fix everything (can't aim-lean around corners, most egregiously, and also you have to move with the D-pad to get full movement speed). And I say this because the default Xbox controls were about ten times more useable than Switch. In the absence of Nintendo doing the work required to make PD and GE twin-stick, you'd have to buy 2x N64 replica controllers to play these games enjoyably. The thought of 100%ing either of these games on Switch gives me a premonitory headache.
It's unfortunate, but the best we can ever hope for on an NSO release is the game being emulated perfectly. That's just how NSO is fundamentally designed. The most new work Ninty's done was translating FE1, but that wasn't NSO (and they took it away because ???).

N64 is honestly too much for Ninty to handle. Nearly every game on the system needs its own button layout to be comfortable on modern controllers, largely in thanks to the vague nature of the C-Buttons. It was great back then due to how versatile it was, but now that Xbox/Sony controllers have become the norm... Yeah, Ninty's not up to snuff for this. They can't even do the "perfect emulation" part right 'cause the N64 is weird on that front, too.

Old 23rd June 2024, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Total Awards: 8
You're Appreciated! Puzzle Six Awesome Default Medal RWP Donator RWP Podcast 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi52 View Post
It's unfortunate, but the best we can ever hope for on an NSO release is the game being emulated perfectly. That's just how NSO is fundamentally designed. The most new work Ninty's done was translating FE1, but that wasn't NSO (and they took it away because ???).

N64 is honestly too much for Ninty to handle. Nearly every game on the system needs its own button layout to be comfortable on modern controllers, largely in thanks to the vague nature of the C-Buttons. It was great back then due to how versatile it was, but now that Xbox/Sony controllers have become the norm... Yeah, Ninty's not up to snuff for this. They can't even do the "perfect emulation" part right 'cause the N64 is weird on that front, too.
They can mishandle the legacy of "Iggy's Reckin' Balls" all they want, but GE and PD are already besmirched too frequently by people who play 20mins of them in an emulator and then declare "they've aged badly." I'd prefer Nintendo leave these games in history than put out a shoddy unplayable version to confirm bulk incorrect assumptions.

Old 23rd June 2024, 05:57 PM
Yoshi52 Yoshi52 is offline he / him
Dingpot

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Trabajo View Post
They can mishandle the legacy of "Iggy's Reckin' Balls" all they want, but GE and PD are already besmirched too frequently by people who play 20mins of them in an emulator and then declare "they've aged badly." I'd prefer Nintendo leave these games in history than put out a shoddy unplayable version to confirm bulk incorrect assumptions.
Eugh, don't remind me of that phenomenon, hate it when I see it. At least a reboot takes all the blame for itself.

User Tag List