Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 27th October 2020, 08:00 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyNPC View Post
Perfect Dark is gonna take a back seat for a little while, I've become addicted to Spelunky 2. The game is pretty wacky. Can't wait for online co-op to come out.
jesus christ if that happened to me i would not have made it out given my record with spelunk

Old 28th October 2020, 08:50 PM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 

Old 28th October 2020, 10:16 PM
Trash Apprentice

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Wanting to try out some games that fit the mood of the season I downloaded A Plague Tale Innocence and got about to chapter 5, and all I can say at this point is HOLY COW THE RAT TECH

Old 29th October 2020, 11:31 PM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Anyone playing 8800 Blue Lick Road?

Old 30th October 2020, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Total Awards: 8
You're Appreciated! Puzzle Six Awesome Default Medal RWP Donator RWP Podcast 
It's a shame Dark Souls has a reputation that precedes it... if you didn't play it in 2011, you wouldn't want to play it now. It's an overexposed series. You have to be sick of hearing about it. But there's environmental detail in those games like nothing else, and great mystery to it all. Plus some very distinctive skyboxes

Old 2nd November 2020, 10:26 AM
Trash Apprentice

Played through A Plague Tale Innocence and really enjoyed it, right up until the last boss who was totally hokey. The end is also where the plot loses its thread and unravels slightly before being touched up by the epilogue. The game honestly didn't need a final boss, and a plot spoiler happens that cheapens things a bit imo. It is a non-stop thrill ride shower, and the cast you meat along the way bonds together quite well. The stealth is iffy but the game is easy enough for that not to matter much, and the puzzles are straightforward enough. And the rat tech does swarms disgustingly well. All in all it's a nice little package that looks and sounds pretty awesome. I'm giving this one a 8/Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Old 11th November 2020, 04:56 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
goemon's great adventure has convinced me that every single 2d goemon action game somehow actively makes tons of decisions to make it more tedious to play than the previous one cause the way it handles checkpoints, hp and character switching makes it much more hellish than goemon 4 and goemon 4 was already a much worse version of goemon 2

Old 16th November 2020, 10:36 PM
Chasing Childhood

Yesterday I learned about the joys of internet throttling. Had my unlimited data download speed drop from the advertised 10mb/s to 516kb/s. So I guess that's one way that my frantic compulsive game downloads will be curbed which is a silver lining.

That being said I am slowly and painfully waiting for Tetris Effect to download off of Game Pass because I have been itching to play this version all year, and never thought I would have a chance due to it being on PS4 exclusively for a while. Gonna drop all the blocks into all the holes.

Also need to get back into my Ni No Kuni playthrough because I have Dragon Quest XI S waiting to be installed and if I can't finish one JRPG then what's the point in trying to take on another that will end up being forgotten on my hard drive.

They/Them

Old 17th November 2020, 06:43 PM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

!

Old 18th November 2020, 01:25 AM
Trash Apprentice

Undertale is a neat game that everyone already knows about so I'll just say: It was a fun little experience that I enjoyed quite a bit (memes be damned), the sound design (even outside the music) is pretty darn great and evokes a sense of place really well, and the characters are all (again damn the memes) written well enough that they become quite endearing by the end of the game. My favorite probably being the fast-food working burger cat, 'cause that's where my mood's at right about these days.

Game honestly reminds me of what happened to FNAF. A really neat little thing that got co-opted by a rabid fanbase (and lots and lots and LOTS of small children) which unfortunately gave the game a bit somewhat of an oder. However, once you've Febreezed past the fanbase, you'll find a neat charming little experience.

Also been toying around with Don't Starve recently. Which is another game that sells me purely by its' charm. Once you start getting the hang of what you need and when, the game really starts to open up. Going from being excited that you finally made it past Winter, all the way to getting to day 60 and finding yourself wondering what else there is to do. I've only been playing the vanilla game though so I think once I die again I'll switch on Reign of Giants and see what's different.

Following the survival game route, also took a look at Grounded, which can be found on Gamepass, due to utterly loving the concept: A person is shrunk down in a backyard and has to fend off insects, build a base, and explore. Keep in mind it's an early access game so it's mostly a skeleton with a little bit of morsel on the bones. It looks absolutely fantastic, the blades of grass and bugs especially, except I do find the way the camera works quite annoying. I haven't done any research on the science so maybe this is how it would work but, you can't see more than 30 feet in front of you, everything's just all blurry. I understand this is to make you feel very very small but it makes me sad because if you climb a really tall thing, you won't be able to take in the scenery around you...'cause it's all blurry. A minor thing really and I've gotten used to it by now, plus hey maybe it's science.

The combat is the least engaging part of the game at this point as it doesn't feel great to do, and as one player, it's quite difficult to not end up dying to the same ladybug over and over and over. This is made worse by the fact that targets regain their health if they step far enough away, leading to frustrating moments where you've almost won the battle but need to heal, you back off to pop your item but the bug becomes disinterested and starts walking away, with full health you engage the bug but it's back to full health rendering the entire fight useless. I'm not sure if that's something they are planning on keeping or doing away with, but it's still worth bringing up.

The base building is pretty simple but can be annoying to do, depending on where you set up. I posted up near the pond area and this robot dude but the only materials around me were clover. Walking to get the grass I needed was a pain as you carry stems like logs and they need to be placed in a special stem holder. Which put me in a loop of 1. Run all the way to the grass forest 2. Cut down stems and place them in a stem holder at logging location 3. Transfer logs from logging location to home base 4. Finally take logs from homebase to use for building. Which was a lot of time spent in tedium I'm afraid. I'm at the point now where I can be more free in my exploring so maybe I'll bring the game up again once I've had the chance to do that.

Finally, I also checked out Bloodstained Ritual of the Night despite having zero affinity for Castlevania games (No real reason just didn't grow up with it and it wasn't till recently that I found out what Symphony of the Night even was) and am having an absolute blast with it. The world is wacky and interesting, it's satisfying to get new gear and weapons, and exploring the castle is extremely fun. It feels like no matter what you're doing, you get rewarded for it. Exploring? Here's a sweet new item. Helping the NPCs? Here's a sweet new item. Fighting Monsters? Here's a cool shard or an item to help you craft more sweet new items. Poking around the world? Here's a funny little moment. It all adds up to a blast of a good time, at least where I'm at currently (a few hours in) I may have more to write once it's all said and done but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Last edited by dragon_kazoooie; 25th November 2020 at 01:36 PM.

Old 22nd November 2020, 02:09 AM
Chasing Childhood

Ok I am officially back on the hooked on Tetris train. It's always been one of the most satisfying gameplay loops for me but never really sat down to try and learn and git gud. But holy **** Tetris Effect is amazing. I have been trying to sell my friends on it because the visuals and music are all next level, and I never thought that a Tetris game would give me so many feels through the Journey story mode.

If you have Xbox Game Pass and even a passing interest in Tetris I would definitely give it a spin. I think I took about 2 hours tops to make it through the main journey mode, and that was mostly because I was trying to play it as a rhythm game. When you move and spin the tetrominoes they add to the music, so was trying to keep it in time with the base track in each level.

Also: Did anyone else see the Capcom release leak the other day? Dragons Dogma 2 and RE 4 Remake are the big hitters from memory. I'm high key gutted to not see any new plans for Dead Rising games though. Really think that Dead Rising 4 was the nail in the coffin for at least the forseeable future ;___;

They/Them

Old 4th December 2020, 02:46 AM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Playing Castlevania on my PVM. I remember hearing the game uses bright orange and blue, because while it is less spooky, the colors pop more. And looking at the game in an emu, sure, it's a really bright game:

But looking at the game on a PVM is a different story. It's much less... orange.

It's way moodier in comparison. The color's blend, making deeper shadows and Simon is actually wearing brown leather.

The shading on the castle in the background looks really good

Last edited by Solid Snix; 4th December 2020 at 12:37 PM.

Old 9th December 2020, 06:15 AM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
I forgot how ANNOYING the Spooky chapter of CBFD was. Just finished it on Rare Replay (specifically the escaping with the keys bit only). Now for the other hard part in War, escaping through the lasers that do 2 chocolates each.

Seems like escaping is always the hard part. It penetrates our own souls, showing us that we cannot run away from our demons.

Old 9th December 2020, 04:06 PM
Chasing Childhood

I got really disappointed when I realized that Rare Replay was only on Xbox Game Pass and not PC. Was so ready to dive into all the games but only succeeded in making myself sad

But yes I remember having all the frustrations dealing with Spooky when I was playing on my laptop as a wee lad. Analogue stick did not translate particularly well to WASD. CBFD was such a masterpiece and I'm kinda glad it never got a true sequel, though I miss playing the multiplayer as immature kids a lot.

They/Them

Old 13th December 2020, 06:50 PM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

SNES on switch does not look bad on crt. Interesting comparison between 480p and 720p though

480p is darker, but has more texture

720p is brighter, but the grass and ground are noticeably softer

User Tag List