Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 9th April 2015, 06:41 AM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 4
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 6 Participation Award 
Banjo Model in Project Spark

Hey guys, it has been a long time since I last visited this place, so sorry about that. I've been messing around with Project Spark for the last couple days (sorry if this is in the wrong forum section) and I managed to clamber together a model of Banjo using only in game props. As you can imagine, it took several hours to get him just right and I'm still missing some small details.

Here are some images. I'm looking for some honest feedback on this since ideally I'll be able to actually make this Banjo model move at some point in the future if I'm lucky. This was mainly just a test to see if I could successfully build a Banjo model using the tools in the game, but if this turns out well, who knows? Maybe I'll be able to start making a game out of this eventually.

Let me know what you think. Feedback is certainly appreciated.

https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...89176571_o.jpg
https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...3f&oe=55B45265
https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...b4&oe=55AC85F9
https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...6d&oe=55AE2D02
The aliens from Independence Day let us know. You know what we did? We stood right on the target, cheered them on, and tried to be friends. What happened to us in Independence Day ConkerKing? WHAT HAPPENED? -Tanjo

Old 9th April 2015, 07:37 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
I'm pretty sure I saw this thing in a fever dream I once had after playing Banjo-Pilot for six hours straight

Old 10th April 2015, 01:21 AM
Dingpot

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Looks pretty good, you should see if you could put that into the Spiral Mountain Remake on the Spark list.

Old 10th April 2015, 01:50 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

http://i.imgur.com/qXjULIV.jpg

Old 10th April 2015, 02:32 AM
Dingpot

LOL, For Connecting Shapes and Colouring them. it is a good resemblance

Old 10th April 2015, 05:05 AM
Brash Breegull

INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 6 Participation Award 
Haha! I was hoping someone would point out the guy with the Banjo mask in the background. XD My original idea was to make Banjo piece by piece and attach each part to one of the working models in the game, but obviously that would look that much more ridiculous, so I'll save that in case I ever need to make a game that looks like a bad fever dream. The rest of what is in the background is basically just scrapped pieces I was trying to use, hence why there are three or four different head models floating around back there.

Anyways, I'm going to see if I can get him into one of the Spiral Mountain areas that other people created at some point. I'm trying to figure out how to get the legs to move naturally right now, so we'll leave that possibility until after I manage to figure out how to make the model move in a natural way.
The aliens from Independence Day let us know. You know what we did? We stood right on the target, cheered them on, and tried to be friends. What happened to us in Independence Day ConkerKing? WHAT HAPPENED? -Tanjo

Old 10th April 2015, 09:11 PM
The Last Gunslinger

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Truly terrifying.

Although it reminds me highly of banjo from that old banjo-threeie newgrounds flash

Old 10th April 2015, 09:49 PM
Dingpot

Total Awards: 1
RWP Podcast 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
"Spore Creature Creator"

Old 17th April 2015, 08:41 AM
Brash Breegull

Not sure if anyone is actually interested, but here's a couple more pics. I'm working on getting the Banjo model fully functional slowly but surely. So far he can move, jump, punch and forward roll (haven't added damage to it yet). I'm working on getting the flap flip to work and Kazooie to help him hover in the air, though unfortunately I'm not finding it to be possible to make him crouch for many of his traditional moves to work as intended.

As you may notice, the only pics of Kazooie are in the air. That is because I've made Kazooie only become visible during jumps for the time being. I'm hoping to utilize the ability to make her visible and invisible depending on the situation so that she'll appear from the backpack during certain moves and stay "in" the backpack when she isn't needed.

As you can see, I've now got some rudimentary models for Kazooie, Jinjos, eggs and feathers now. The eggs and feathers are simple recolorings of props that already exist in the game. Banjo, Kazooie and the jinjo are obviously very unpolished, but they will work for the time being so that I can test out the game mechanics. I'll definitely be updating the models as time goes on.

https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...e0&oe=55E4B871
https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...57&oe=55A5556F
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...1acef520e997f2
https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...25&oe=55A7FCF7

Edit: I think I have the solution to the crouching problem. I'm basically going to make all of Banjo's individual limbs tilt forward when a certain button is pressed. This will basically be a makeshift form of crouching if I can get his body to position correctly.

Last edited by kingpaco; 17th April 2015 at 09:16 AM. Reason: New information

Old 17th April 2015, 05:50 PM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
How are you able to actually make functional models? I know it's a bit jerry-rigged as it is, but I thought that was basically impossible? Pretty cool though.

Old 17th April 2015, 05:58 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

http://i.imgur.com/VRSRZ0h.jpg

Old 17th April 2015, 07:35 PM
Dingpot

Keep it up i'm really liking this, if you get the moveset to work i would totally build Some of grunties lair and Mumbos mountain so that Spiral mountain can come into use.

also alot of the Conker props will and Paints will help out making warp pads and what not.

Old 17th April 2015, 10:22 PM
Brash Breegull

Andre: A lot of patience my friend. Banjo is actually built around a generic woodland character model, so that's where he gets a lot of his animation from the getgo. I basically attached pieces of Banjo to each limb in a way that made sense and it took me awhile to get, say, the head to not float away from the body for example. If you look closely, I still haven't finished the legs and arms of the couple models that I do have and intend to later to make the model look as natural as possible. As long as the base woodland character doesn't have collision detection and isn't visible in game while the Banjo parts do, Banjo should function as though he is a completely original model while the woodland character helps get some of his easy movement like jogging and rolling taken care of. All I need to do from there is mess with the values so that he runs at the right speed, does damage when he rolls into things, etc.

Kazooie is basically an attachment as of now instead of her own distinct character. Banjo's parts are all attached to the woodland character and essentially I'll be doing the same for Kazooie. What this means is that I can use the brain editor for each individual piece and get them to behave in different ways depending on the situation. For example, though I haven't finished yet, Banjo's crouching motion is basically going to be me rigging all of his individual body parts to move in a certain way all when I press shift (I'll probably get X Box One controls later on if this goes well). Since the woodland character that he is built around is invisible in game and doesn't have collision, what you can't see in those images is that he basically hasn't moved at all; only the Banjo parts have.

I've also experimented with getting Banjo's feet to move in the correct motion without being attached to a woodland character at all, but sadly that is a bit beyond my level at the moment. Maybe later I'll be able to make it work as I continue to experiment with the options of this game.

The jinjo is simply built around the generic goblin model, which luckily already waves at you if you select one of his general emotion options. Since jinjos don't have to move around much, that was pretty easy. Just like Banjo however, I had to attach each piece to a different part of the goblin's body to get get it to work.

Since I've never had any formal experience with game programing or anything of the sort, naturally a lot of this is still looking pretty rough around the edges. With the magic of youtube however, I'm now learning all sorts of tricks that help to make this work.

Peroxwhy?gen: Thanks dude. I totally agree that the Conker props will help a ton when they come out in a few days, so we'll see what all comes with that package then. I'm also holding out hope that a Banjo-Kazooie pack is announced at E3 since it is already rumored that Banjo will be appearing. As you can see, I'm too impatient to wait that long . That and I pretty much started this project for the sake of seeing if I could do it, so if Banjo stuff starts coming out, excellent. If not, well I'm no worse off.

Since it seems like this has a fair amount of interest, I'll keep updating you guys as I make progress. Also, once I feel like the model is ready to test out in other worlds that are created, I'd be happy to see if we can start experimenting with other fan created projects then.

Old 19th April 2015, 02:13 AM
Brash Breegull

Another quick update. While the attempt to manually make Banjo crouch is becoming irritating on account of his head and body not moving the right way when I attempt make him take a different stance, the Kazooie model is turning out far better than expected, probably on account of the fact that I attached the pieces to an already existing owl prop.

I'll try to post a video at some point in the near future, preferably when I get BK to successfully switch from Banjo's normal movement to Kazooie's talon trot. The talon trot shouldn't be too hard.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...4ddb41eb3a5f48
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...50045737d051fb
https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...76&oe=55A76CCA
https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...16817658_o.jpg

Old 19th April 2015, 02:18 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

what is wrong with kazooie's eyes

User Tag List