Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 15th June 2019, 01:01 AM
Alakazam Alakazam is offline 3 Highscores
Explosion Infernale

Total Awards: 15
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter RWP Note Medal Awesome Default Medal Mystery Three 

watching and playing melee

forget about the hit or miss, our naivety was bliss

Old 19th June 2019, 09:10 PM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Went through the World of Light Mode in Smash Ultimate and 100% it which was a pretty fun experience. Now I'm back on Breath of the Wild. I got up to the last boss on the Wiiu back when it first came out, then about a year ago I got it again on the switch and have been slowly going through it. They finally added the option to switch to the Japanese voices! Usually I don't care too much, I'll go with either or, but the English-VO is just so unbearingly terrible. Everybody sounds like they come from like, 2 people slightly changing their voices for each character. Even the old people sound 20! Anyway since I was able to switch (heh) that's been nice. Such a relaxing game. Can't wait for the sequel! ^^

Old 22nd June 2019, 04:27 AM
Custom Astronaut

Total Awards: 8
You're Appreciated! RWP Podcast INFECTED - B2K1 Rarity INFECTED - B1K1 
Melee - Took a couple months break to journey across different Smashes and fighting games with Ala. Now DJ Snak is back on the attack.

Pokeymon Ultra Sun - Wow cozy-ass game. I've defeated the E4 but I keep wandering around and finding new things to do and it's been a really chill experience. Neo-Pokemon should just stick with this formula of hanging out and petting your dudes while you sip lemonade.

Old 22nd June 2019, 02:04 PM
GB Printer Paper Memorial Garden's Avatar
GB Printer Paper Memorial Garden GB Printer Paper Memorial Garden is offline
Super Moderator

Total Awards: 8
You're Appreciated! Puzzle Six Awesome Default Medal RWP Donator RWP Podcast 
Virtua Tennis 2009

Old 30th June 2019, 07:58 PM
Explosion Infernale

You're Appreciated! Thread Starter RWP Note Medal Awesome Default Medal Mystery Three 
juggling a lot (minecraft, mario golf, melee, utawarerumono, & more), but giving special mention to my replay of wind waker (first in over a decade)

lots i wanna write about later, it's been so great

Old 30th June 2019, 09:03 PM
Friend of Justice

Total Awards: 9
You're Appreciated! Awesome Default Medal INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On 
I bought a Playstation Classic yesterday and played through all of Jumping Flash today. It is a pretty short game. It is a pretty impressive 3d platformer for a game that came out before Super Mario 64. The game is in the first person, which kind of made me disoriented at first. The camera pans down when you do the double jump, so you can know where you land easier.

Old 5th July 2019, 12:20 AM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
I've been playing American Truck Simulator in celebration of Freedom Day. Just wanted to remind everyone that Truck Simulator is indeed not a meme, it's a legit good game. If the idea of driving down the highway while listening to classic rock over internet radio sounds fun to you, then you should play it. You start as a contractor doing jobs with provided trucks, but soon you can start buying and customizing your own trucks and managing your own transportation business. You can even explore the world between jobs to find more dealerships and business opportunities.

Old 11th July 2019, 03:49 PM
Explosion Infernale

Star Fox 64 (Nintendo 64, 1997)

Lately, I've been thinking about the idea of Nintendo as strictly a toy company, and their video games as interactive toys rather than "video games". Traditionally, this view is reserved for products like ROB, the Wii, and the Switch's recent Labo, but Miyamoto himself has said he'd work in toys if he didn't work in video games. This has made me start seeing certain games in a whole new light, and Star Fox 64 might be my favorite example so far.

The other day, while waiting for the Fourth of July hot dog contest to air (because why not?), I sifted through channels and came across Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. 20 years ago, I absolutely loved both Star Fox 64 and SWE1, and have fond memories of playing with the toy double-sided lightsaber, writing Darth Maul fanfiction at like 8 years old on our first computer, and lots more. I know that Star Wars fans are really split on the prequels, and I honestly don't care much for 2 or 3 (though I think they're fine), but I had a great time revisiting PM with Nills, and it held up really well for both of us.

With those Star Wars vibes still fresh in my mind, I came back to Star Fox 64 a couple days ago for a funzie run. I've mentioned this offhandedly before, but I've felt for a while like it's one of the only games that feels like a genuine cinematic experience inside a video game. After watching Phantom Menace, and with the perspective I've had on Miyamoto games lately, I realized something about that concept that's kinda obvious, but also kind of not:

Star Fox 64 is a Build-Your-Own Star Wars Story.

It just also happens to be covered up by the greatest action game of all time.

Depending on your route, the plot of your adventure changes drastically. There are so many different ways you can tell "your story" through the way you decide to play - you can even choose to end with or without a cliffhanger. When you think about it as an interactive movie, it's like taking individual "scenes" and tying them together in your own personal way.

The planets are detailed beyond belief, doused with every kind of color and element to make them memorable - from the cool, lush image of the Great Fox docked on Aquas to the 9000-degree temperatures of Solar, from the acidic pollution of Zoness to the deserts of Titania, and so much more inbetween. Each stage is like a dynamic toybox, with rescue missions and level props in-sync with team dialogue, obstacles and invincible monsters to avoid, and lots of edge-of-your-seat moments.

Also, don't forget the stages with temporary teammates! I love Katt and Bill so much, the way they're introduced without any real backstory yet our characters immediately know who they are. The use of vague familiarity fits into the story so well, and lets you connect the dots yourself. Why does Falco know Katt? Were they dating? How cool is it that Fox's old military buddy shows up? Miyamoto games were great at telling these stories without having to "explain" them, and I think it shines brightest here. (I also think it's the coolest thing how they tag along to the next level with you, and how different something like Macbeth feels depending if Katt is there or not.)

Cinematography alone wouldn't work without the gameplay, but this game is thankfully a masterpiece of action gaming. Whether you're completely new, or putting up medal scores on expert mode, it has a way of always making you feel like you're kicking ass when you accomplish something. Learning new ways to farm points through charge shots, studying routes to fly through, and watching your score climb will add just as much replay value as the movie parts of the game.

A great example of how well these aspects are blended together: the Fortuna Star Wolf fight. The typical player will end up on the easy route during their first fight, and get an early taste of the Star Wolf cast, introduced to their incredibly vibrant anti-hero charm. Over countless trials of play, and hours of leveling up in skill, a player will find themselves at the Venom Star Wolf fight, perfectly re-balanced for the difficulty curve. In general, there's usually a great nuance to difficulty curve in older Nintendo games, but the use of a plot device like Star Wolf stirs up the sentimentality, and makes it feel that much better to encounter and defeat them.

As an interactive toy, and as a video game, this is a groundbreaking accomplishment that deserves the same recognition as Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time. I know most people consider it an upper echelon 64 game, but you don't quite see the same fervor as those other two, outside of us weirdos who quote the game daily in any and all contexts.

There's a reason why there hasn't been a Star Fox game as satisfying since 64, while Mario and Zelda have had countless great games since - this is a concept so much of its time, balancing classic action gameplay with the perfect scope of over-the-top action movie. It's incredibly hard to nail this idea again, especially as technology has improved and "story gaming" has become entirely different. I think that Left 4 Dead did it right, and I'd love to hear you guys mention other games that feel similar to you.

5/5
forever

Old 12th July 2019, 12:28 AM
Formerly Vampy

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
Psn has Detroit become human for free this month plus it comes with heavy rain so I am excited to play those soon.

Old 15th July 2019, 04:31 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
100% Orange Juice is currently running a summer event featuring a gyaru dog loli in a swimsuit as a raid boss. Are other video games even trying?

User Tag List