Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 17th September 2011, 07:44 PM
Glowbo

Hey there, me again.

I'm currently messing around with this tool so I can try at creating a soundfont from one of the supported game's samples just for fun. I noticed that some games have samples at different rates, and it seems that N64 Sound Tool sets one rate for all the samples or does it incorrectly. For example, this is the chanting sample from the Fire Temple song in OoT 1.0:

Correct (16000hz)
http://soundcloud.com/smash-adams-1/...instr-0001-snd

Incorrect (22000hz)
http://soundcloud.com/smash-adams-1/...-0a-instr-0001

I think some samples that don't play at 22khz play correctly, like maybe the foot steps (which play at 11khz I think) but the tool seems to hit and miss. In most cases, the problem lies with samples that are lower than 22khz. There might even be samples that are 32khz, don't remember.

Old 18th September 2011, 01:20 AM
McLovin

Total Awards: 3
INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal Random Award 
I didn't find a way to get the sampling rate for some games, including all the EAD games such as Zelda. It must be loaded via their code or something, cause it's not in the table from what I can see. So I just hardcoded to 16000, you'll have to go thru em and fix the rate alas. Sometimes within a sound bank in zelda sounds differ as well. Most of the Ctl/Tbl and Turok-style games are fine since rate's included (though some games do vary it), the rest are a fixed rate because I have no idea the real rate.

Heh cool, that chant was removed in 1.1 and 1.2. Nice to hear it.

Old 24th September 2011, 02:36 AM
McLovin

Added 3 more games, thanks to Zoinkity decoding Titus compression - Superman, Roadsters Trophy, and Automobili Lamborghini.

Old 20th October 2011, 10:33 PM
Glowbo

You also have to take into account that sometimes they'll import sped up samples to save on space, and then they're played back through the midi engine to slow them to normal speed. So in some cases it may be impossible to nail the correct sample pitch by manually changing its sample rate.

Old 10th November 2011, 02:23 AM
Glowbo

Hey, it's me again.

I think I possibly found another problem with the program.

In the Fire Temple song, there are three voice samples. The bank the Fire Temple uses is BANK 0A, and the Instrument number of the voices are as follows:

0002 (duplicate of 0001 - this program produces A LOT of duplicates of some of the instruments for some reason)
0004 (i think)

Now here's the problem. For some reason, the program isn't extracting 0004. When I go to manually extract the Instrument, it lists the instrument but doesn't extract anything. It doesn't seem to be just this bank in particular either, Bank 03 seems to skip Instrument 09. This might be a problem in other games, at least other SRD games.

Also a bit more game specific. Again with OoT, for some reason almost all of Bank 01 produces garbage noise. Not all of them do though. Not sure if it's a problem with your program or if they point to data that doesn't exist anymore, but I thought I'd bring it to your intention just in case.

I'm currently building a SRD game soundfont. Kinda useless since most of the samples come from really early/cheap sound modules (the ocarina I think came from a E-MU World module, fun fact). But I'm just doing it for fun; already mapped 85 instruments already. Need to do drums though...

But anyway, hope this helps somehow.

PS: Another fun fact, not sure if it's an error in your program. But Bank 18 (Shadow Temple) has the Islamic Fire Temple chant sample (just one of them though). From what I've seen, they did a pretty decent job keeping only the instrument samples needed for the songs in each bank. But they left this sample in the Shadow Temple sound bank for some reason. This is V1.0, btw.

Old 10th November 2011, 02:30 AM
McLovin

I must admit, I never found a way to fix bank 01. It seems like there was something odd going on, I think they're all valid sounds but I never could figure out what made some work and others not.

On Bank 0A, instrument 04 isn't present. It's not a bug, just a null pointers in-game instead of an instrument (00000000) offset.

The reason some instruments repeat many times is that it actually is in there that many times, but different volumes. I don't think I show volume though, so it's not that useful.

That is odd bank 18 has that chant too, but I guess it does. It points to the same offset: 0036C840 as with the other chants, so barring changing some of parameters by sound to make it sound radically different (like pitch, volume, etc), guess it bizarrely is the same. Maybe it's used, maybe not. Even more interesting is that version 1.2 still has this chant in bank 18 But not in 0A.

Last edited by SubDrag; 10th November 2011 at 02:36 AM.

Old 10th November 2011, 03:41 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubDrag View Post
I must admit, I never found a way to fix bank 01. It seems like there was something odd going on, I think they're all valid sounds but I never could figure out what made some work and others not.

On Bank 0A, instrument 04 isn't present. It's not a bug, just a null pointers in-game instead of an instrument (00000000) offset.

The reason some instruments repeat many times is that it actually is in there that many times, but different volumes. I don't think I show volume though, so it's not that useful.

That is odd bank 18 has that chant too, but I guess it does. It points to the same offset: 0036C840 as with the other chants, so barring changing some of parameters by sound to make it sound radically different (like pitch, volume, etc), guess it bizarrely is the same. Maybe it's used, maybe not. Even more interesting is that version 1.2 still has this chant in bank 18 But not in 0A.
Hmm, but the thing is - there really is a sample missing when I rip the sounds from the 0A bank. It's difficult to explain what exactly it is/what's being said, but if you listen to this at 1:37:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...QVzu_kc8#t=94s

The sample that starts playing that's panned to the left isn't in the extracted samples for the bank. I've looked everywhere for it and I can't find it. I can only find two of what's being played. :\

edit: I checked the Shadow Temple just to see if maybe they snuck the chant somewhere in the song and I think they actually did, it's just playing way below the root key it was assigned so it plays really really slow (it also seems that it only plays the first half second of the sample, kinda like what the Fire Temple does initially). I was able to experiment with the sample with my soundfont and it seems like it's being used at :55 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...sMIlSCuU#t=54s

Pretty sneaky of them.

Last edited by Knuckles500; 10th November 2011 at 07:47 PM.

Old 11th November 2011, 02:38 AM
McLovin

The instrument offset is definitely 00000000 for sound 4, I breakpointed and checked, so I have no idea why some are missing unfortunately. So not sure alas.

Ah cool, yeah you can't even notice the chant.

Old 11th November 2011, 11:46 AM
Glowbo

I was also puzzled about the fire temple chants. I can't seem to put my finger on it. I've manged to recreate the chanting but I can't seem to get the chant that is panned left. I'm wondering it if really is missing.

Here is my soundfont if anyone wants it:
http://www.4shared.com/file/WUIgPM2G/OoT_1.html

Old 13th November 2011, 04:19 AM
Dingpot

Any chance of seeing support for BT/DK64 in the near future? Or are we still unsure about the way sound is stored in those two?

Old 14th November 2011, 03:16 AM
McLovin

Ice Mario pointed me to where BT was stored, but it's in a vastly different format or encrypted or something.

Old 18th November 2011, 01:41 PM
Dingpot

I assume DK64 uses a similar format, then D:

Old 31st December 2011, 01:43 AM
Glowbo

I was going to ask the same thing. Didn't DK64 have something in common with BK? Maybe I am just thinking sequences..

Old 1st January 2012, 07:10 PM
McLovin

Army Men Air Combat and Sarge's Heroes added thanks to Zoinkity's hard work breaking its compression!

Old 11th December 2012, 11:25 PM
Glowbo

This version does'nt support Super Mario 64, and i can't import .WAV files into the ROM.
Can you please upload the version shown in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=majxJVoFPZI

User Tag List