Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 1st April 2009, 12:52 PM
Formerly JDTurnbull272

Total Awards: 1
RWP Donator 
CycloDS Evolution

I JUST got this for my DS Lite today.
I am INCREDIBLY amazed at how easy to use this is, and all of the features it offers!

For anyone that doesn't know what this is, it is basically a homebrew device that allows you to use your own personal MicroSD cards, plug them into the device, and load music, videos, pictures, text, and emulators and games (anything less intensive than N64 I think) off of it. You can even load DS roms off of it too as far as I know.
But there are quite a few downloads for it, one of which gives you a minor Operating System to run with (looks a lot like vista, but runs like a PDA style OS).

Personally, I've managed to try the NES emulators, Genesis, and SNES (all games I owned already!)
It features the ability to rewind, pause, and fast forward any game you have running off of it, and allows you to save and load anytime without a save point. Also, I think it has a built in cheat program that lets you use much like a gameshark, but haven't tried that yet...

I have only played around with it a bit, but so far, all I can say, is that for the price, it is WELL WELL worth the money! For anyone who likes the idea of storing their entire older game library onto a virtual console setup on their DS, this is the item for them! The games run very smoothly, and seeing as the size of microSD cards these days goes up to 16GB, you can hold quite a bit on there!

I'm not sure what types of videos and audio files it can play yet, but I will try to find out fairly soon...

I didn't see a topic about this already, so this definitely merits one!

If anyone knows (and if I'm allowed to ask.....), are there any suggested SNES Emulators that you'd recommend to use on here? Like I said, I'm only using games I own already, and tried a couple already that didn't load properly...
Anyways, hope everyone gets a chance to check this out, and get one if they have the desire to have some fun and experiment!!!

The official site is here:
Right here
If you want to buy one, however, you need to look on the site for suggested sites!

Old 1st April 2009, 01:25 PM
Bunnycomb

INFECTED - B1K1 
Congrats. I did something ver similar for the PSP. But for downloading music, isn't the sound quality on the DS not good enough for that?

Old 1st April 2009, 04:08 PM
Formerly SolarBoyMatt

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
I don't know if this kind of discussion is allowed here, but who am I say.

Old 1st April 2009, 05:01 PM
Custom User Title

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! RWP Donator INFECTED - B1K1 Random Award Basic Forum Rules 
Yeah flashcards are awesome, I got a M3DS Real myself pretty awesome , but I have heard CycloDS is better.

Old 1st April 2009, 05:40 PM
Jinjo

the sad truth is cyclo ds is illegal. if the governments illegal scanners find it, theyll probably put you in jail for years.

Old 1st April 2009, 08:11 PM
Formerly JDTurnbull272

RWP Donator 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjo man View Post
the sad truth is cyclo ds is illegal. if the governments illegal scanners find it, theyll probably put you in jail for years.
WHAT???

I have never heard of such things!!! And don't believe it...
I mean, they already make the Media Managers for the Nintendo DS that sell at WALMART! Those are in many ways the exact same things! The only exception is that some of these don't allow you to use your own programs...
That's like saying that everybody on the Rare Witch Project that modded their N64s with Gamesharks and other tools to hack all of our favorite games, would be thrown in Jail because they used their consoles and games for purposes other than what they were sold for....

Does anyone agree with me?

I think the only thing sketchy about these things are that they can run Emulators on there, which even then, have a LOT of gray areas in terms of legality...

PLUS don't you think that the ESA would have shut the entire project down if it was really illegal? SEVERAL different sites are selling it, and even AMAZON is selling something very identical:
Made by the same company as Action Replay

As for this thread/discussion not being allowed possibly, I'll report my post to an Admin to see if they need to check it out to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Mario
Congrats. I did something ver similar for the PSP. But for downloading music, isn't the sound quality on the DS not good enough for that?
Anyways! I am going to find out what format of audio I need to use on here, and see how it sounds. I'm imagining that the quality won't be the BEST, and same goes for the video content...
Out of curiosity, however, what did you do for your PSP?
The great thing about the CycloDS is that it is basically not even a Mod, opposed to most PSP things you can do (unless you do them as SoftMods via a SD card or something?)...
So I basically don't worry in the least about screwing my DS up.
I'll get a bit more in depth later, once I know this thread isn't bad news...

Old 2nd April 2009, 03:55 PM
Bunnycomb

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTurnbull272 View Post
WHAT???

I have never heard of such things!!! And don't believe it...
I mean, they already make the Media Managers for the Nintendo DS that sell at WALMART! Those are in many ways the exact same things! The only exception is that some of these don't allow you to use your own programs...
That's like saying that everybody on the Rare Witch Project that modded their N64s with Gamesharks and other tools to hack all of our favorite games, would be thrown in Jail because they used their consoles and games for purposes other than what they were sold for....

Does anyone agree with me?
Yes I do agree, I've done plenty of illegal stuff with my games and have never gotten in trouble for it, and even if you could noone is going to know that you did it. Unless of course you go the the government themselves and told them you put CycloDS on your ds!

Quote:
Anyways! I am going to find out what format of audio I need to use on here, and see how it sounds. I'm imagining that the quality won't be the BEST, and same goes for the video content...
Out of curiosity, however, what did you do for your PSP?
The great thing about the CycloDS is that it is basically not even a Mod, opposed to most PSP things you can do (unless you do them as SoftMods via a SD card or something?)...
So I basically don't worry in the least about screwing my DS up.
I'll get a bit more in depth later, once I know this thread isn't bad news...
I added hombrew on it, much like you would add homebrew on any other game console. It can play roms now so I play stuff like sm64 on it. And I can hack the games I play on it alot easier.

Old 2nd April 2009, 04:28 PM
Custom User Title

Yes playing Rom Hacks on a DS is awesome, much better than playing it on a emulator

Also most Flashcards have built in Action Replays

Old 2nd April 2009, 05:37 PM
Formerly JDTurnbull272

RWP Donator 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Mario View Post
I added hombrew on it, much like you would add homebrew on any other game console. It can play roms now so I play stuff like sm64 on it. And I can hack the games I play on it alot easier.

I was originally just planing on doing the PSP modding because it can support the N64 and all! But I've seen quite a bit of lagging with the PSP...My girlfriend has one, and she says I can mod hers.
But having the Flash set up on the DS is AWESOME!!!

Oh! And for anyone that is wondering, I just stuck some videos onto the card, and have been watching them. I don't think you can fast forward or rewind (that I know of yet...), and the quality is a tad choppy, but not so bad. A two hour video is about 200 MB.
And some of the DS games act a bit funky if you download them on there...I need to see what's up with that.

But basically, I think this is an INGENIOUS idea, and I am SO happy I got it! =D

Old 3rd April 2009, 01:54 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox Grey Note Medal 
I wanted to get one of the ones from Wal-Mart to see if I canput an emulator on it, but I have very little money atm.

Old 3rd April 2009, 01:56 AM
Custom User Title

The emulators are not the best in the world

Well the ones i tried anyway.

Old 3rd April 2009, 02:12 AM
Rare Witch Hero

But still, I could go for some DKC on a flash card.

Old 3rd April 2009, 03:07 AM
Formerly JDTurnbull272

RWP Donator 
I'm not sure how the Action Replay ones from Walmart work...

But if you don't mind saving up your money, I HIGHLY suggest getting the CycloDS. It only costs like 45 or so tops.
Of all of the emulators I've tried running on it, the only one I've had any 'trouble', if any, was for the Super Nintendo emulator...and that is because you have to set it up a particular way to get it to work right.

The NES Emulator works like a charm!!! (the frame rate is smooth, the colors are crisp, and the gameplay feels very authentic!)
The Sega Genesis one is real decent, better than any I've played on the PC, but not as good as an actual console...
The DS Emulator runs VERY smooth. However, there a couple games that give a bit of trouble...I might need to see if I can get another version of some of the games...

Oh, and in reply to Starfox260, unless you already have the DKC rom sitting around somewhere, it is VERY hard to track down these days...In fact, nearly every single Nintendo branded 1st part games are near impossible to find these days since the ERC started shutting down so many sites.

I managed to have one on a DVD collection of mine, so snagged it off of that...
But for those of you who like the idea of backing up your entire NES, SNES, Genesis, AND Gameboy game collections, with something as small as a 8 GB micro SD card, you can easily do this...
But like I said, I DO actually own all of the games I've been getting...I just like the idea of taking them with me on the go (and there is some form of unique charm to playing old-school NES games right before bed...*sigh*)

Old 3rd April 2009, 03:14 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTurnbull272 View Post
I'm not sure how the Action Replay ones from Walmart work...

But if you don't mind saving up your money, I HIGHLY suggest getting the CycloDS. It only costs like 45 or so tops.
Of all of the emulators I've tried running on it, the only one I've had any 'trouble', if any, was for the Super Nintendo emulator...and that is because you have to set it up a particular way to get it to work right.

The NES Emulator works like a charm!!! (the frame rate is smooth, the colors are crisp, and the gameplay feels very authentic!)
The Sega Genesis one is real decent, better than any I've played on the PC, but not as good as an actual console...
The DS Emulator runs VERY smooth. However, there a couple games that give a bit of trouble...I might need to see if I can get another version of some of the games...

Oh, and in reply to Starfox260, unless you already have the DKC rom sitting around somewhere, it is VERY hard to track down these days...In fact, nearly every single Nintendo branded 1st part games are near impossible to find these days since the ERC started shutting down so many sites.

I managed to have one on a DVD collection of mine, so snagged it off of that...
But for those of you who like the idea of backing up your entire NES, SNES, Genesis, AND Gameboy game collections, with something as small as a 8 GB micro SD card, you can easily do this...
But like I said, I DO actually own all of the games I've been getting...I just like the idea of taking them with me on the go (and there is some form of unique charm to playing old-school NES games right before bed...*sigh*)
I found it no problem on the site wher eI get my ROMs from.
It just doesn't show up in the main list of ROMs, but when you go into the alphabetic index and click a letter, you'll find it, readily available, as well as
Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, etc.

They just hide from the main menu, it's findable. I've been playing it on my Wii, along with Tetris Attack.

Also, sorry about talking about ROMs. I know I'm not supposed to here. X_X

Last edited by Brian; 3rd April 2009 at 03:17 AM.

Old 3rd April 2009, 03:17 AM
Dingpot

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjo man View Post
ahahahahaha, you're an idiot.

Tags
cyclops evolution, emulation, flash, homebrew, nintendo ds

User Tag List