Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 4th March 2011, 10:33 PM
Jinjo

How come when Nintendo go rubbish...

Their consoles start being top of the market sales wise whereas when they were good from specifically from memory in the SNES to N64 eras they were outsold by their rivals despite having vastly superior games. Now the Xbox 360 and PS3 have far more top games and sell less.

Old 4th March 2011, 10:36 PM
Formerly BanjoBoy123

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Haha what?

Nintendo only went rubbish during the early years of the Wii.

They're ****ing awesome right now.

Old 4th March 2011, 10:37 PM
Jinjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy123 View Post
Haha what?

Nintendo only went rubbish during the early years of the Wii.

They're ****ing awesome right now.
What awesome games recently?

DKC Returns only good one for ages.

Old 4th March 2011, 10:38 PM
Mr. Pants

And when they get back to kicking Sony/Microsoft's ass console wise (*cough*GAMECUBE*cough*) They'll be even more awesome.

edit: In response to the one above me, Twilight Princess, SMG, SSBB, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Pokemon Diamond through Black and New Super Mario Bros. Wii say hi.

Old 4th March 2011, 10:47 PM
Hello Sadness

Total Awards: 6
INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox Awesome Default Medal INFECTED - B1K1 
Nintendo haven't gone "rubbish", Super Mario Galaxy 2 has been universally praised, more so than OoT when it was released, Kirby's Epic Yarn is picking up awards and praise and Pokemon Black and White got a perfect rating in Famitsu. Xbox and PS3 games are offering equal quality and are "less popular" but ultimately popularity and sales is based on on quantity, not quality.

Last edited by Porky; 4th March 2011 at 10:52 PM.

Old 4th March 2011, 11:14 PM
Funniest Member ('13 - '14)

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Who cares if DKCR is the most recent great game they made. I'm not buying four brand new games a month. Unless you only own one console, your gaming needs should be satisfied. If you own a 360 and a Wii or a PS3 and a Wii then there's nothing to bitch about. I have eight Wii games. I have nine Xbox 360 games. I have three PS3 games. It's enough right now. I'm looking forward to a few upcoming games, but these developers don't have to come out with a game a month to keep me satisfied. You can't convince me Nintendo is "rubbish" if I enjoy playing the Wii and DS. I'll agree that they're not as good as they used to be though.

also lol welcome to 2006?

Last edited by Gruntling; 8th March 2011 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Merged double posts.

Old 4th March 2011, 11:36 PM
Jinjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic Mario View Post
And when they get back to kicking Sony/Microsoft's ass console wise (*cough*GAMECUBE*cough*) They'll be even more awesome.

edit: In response to the one above me, Twilight Princess, SMG, SSBB, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Pokemon Diamond through Black and New Super Mario Bros. Wii say hi.
Twilight Princess - years ago
Super Mario Galaxy - Rubbish although 2 was better
New Super Mario Bros Wii - ages ago
Kirby - not played
Pokemon - A good game but fairly repetitive now and not for the Wii anyway unless I'm mistaken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll clowns View Post
Nintendo haven't gone "rubbish", Super Mario Galaxy 2 has been universally praised, more so than OoT when it was released, Kirby's Epic Yarn is picking up awards and praise and Pokemon Black and White got a perfect rating in Famitsu. Xbox and PS3 games are offering equal quality and are "less popular" but ultimately popularity and sales is based on on quantity, not quality.
How anyone could claim SMG 2 is better than OOT is beyond me.

My main point is Nintendo now have mainly gimmicky party games.

Last edited by Gruntling; 8th March 2011 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Merged triple posts.

Old 4th March 2011, 11:54 PM
Mr. Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoMan1987 View Post
Twilight Princess - years ago
Super Mario Galaxy - Rubbish although 2 was better
New Super Mario Bros Wii - ages ago
Kirby - not played
Pokemon - A good game but fairly repetitive now and not for the Wii anyway unless I'm mistaken?
If all of these games are so 'rubbish' then why are they getting all this praise? I mean, they're obviously good if the reviews are generally positive and if the games are selling a considerable amount.

Old 4th March 2011, 11:57 PM
Lord of Games

Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Nintendo Wii games released in 2010 alone:
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
No More Heroes 2
Red Steel 2
Trauma Team
Monster Hunter Tri
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Sakura Wars
Sonic Colors
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Epic Mickey
Donkey Kong Country Returns

That is a hell of a lot of exclusives to be released in a single year. The Wii may have been poor in 2008, but saying that it still "has no games" is just ignorant now.

Old 5th March 2011, 12:03 AM
Mercury Star Power, Make Up~!

Total Awards: 10
Awesome Default Medal You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On 
Wait, there's a new Sakura Wars on Wii (or DS)? Or are you just talking about So Long, My Love? Because that was originally on PS2...

EDIT: I mean it was also on Wii. Apparently they were released at the same time.
EDIT Again: Alright, nevermind. I guess the original Japanese release in 2005 was PS2, and then was translated for PS2 and Wii in 2010...

Last edited by Zondekel; 5th March 2011 at 12:08 AM.

Old 5th March 2011, 12:09 AM
Lord of Games

Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Yeah, they were.

Also, add Silent Hill: Shattered Memories onto that list. I was under the impression it was out December 2009 but apparently it came out in January 2010. Also, A Shadow's Tale if you live in Europe was released in 2010 (was released in 2011 in the US).

Edit: I suppose it's unfair to call Sakura Wars an exclusive considering it was originally on the PS2. However, even though Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is also on the PS2, it's obviously developed for the Wii and I really can't imagine playing it without motion controls.

Last edited by Dylan Yoshi; 5th March 2011 at 12:11 AM.

Old 5th March 2011, 12:12 AM
Mercury Star Power, Make Up~!

Total Awards: 10
Awesome Default Medal You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On 
Yeah, but in that case, it doesn't make it an exclusive, which doesn't help your own argument... and looking at the list of games, the only one in 2010 that came out was So Long, My Love, so...

Old 5th March 2011, 12:16 AM
Lord of Games

Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
It's still 11 pure exclusives in a single year if you don't count Sakura Wars/Silent Hill/A Shadow's Tale. I don't know what you're talking about since every game on the list was released in 2010.

Old 5th March 2011, 12:20 AM
Humba Wumba

INFECTED - B1K1 
It sounds like you're using an argument, Banjoman, that would have some significance pre-2010 fro the wii, but 2010 proved that the wii isn't just "gimmicky party games" as you put it. Nintendo is not "rubbish", none of the three companies are.

And maybe people praised SMG 2 more than OoT because they thought it was better and more revolutionary than it. Go figure.

Old 5th March 2011, 01:12 AM
Most Intelligent Member ('08 - '09)

INFECTED - B1K1 
While I don't think Nintendo is the same as it used to be, I think Banjoman is being a bit outrageous here.

I also think some of the Nintendo supporters here are being a bit outrageous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic Mario
And when they get back to kicking Sony/Microsoft's ass console wise (*cough*GAMECUBE*cough*)
The Gamecube wasn't kicking anyones ass, it was the lowest performing console of last generation, and while it easily had some of my favorite games of it's era, it definitely wasn't the leading console by far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Colbert
Who cares if DKCR is the most recent great game they made. I'm not buying four brand new games a month. Unless you only own one console, your gaming needs should be satisfied.
This is a REALLY bad argument. People buy consoles based on how well supported they are and how regularly it's library of great games is expanded. If you only own one console, and that console is the Wii, while you have a good back catalog of games readily available, that stream dries up quick, and you will soon find yourself playing games you would have never played otherwise meerly out of boredom and a rising desire for new content. You can't counter their lack of frequent releases with "oh well, I didn't want to buy that many games anyway", that's not how it works for the entire customer base.

I don't care if you personally don't buy games that frequently, but for the majority of consumers it sucks. I usually buy a new game every month, and when Nintendo can't keep up with the other companies, I end up spending my money on my Xbox and Playstation. Nintendo usually only releases one to three big games a year, and that is NOT enough to keep a hardcore gamer satisfied and entertained if the Wii is the only console they own. Nobody should have to buy a console with the intention of only playing a few games on it a year, compared to the library of the 360 or the PS3, and the variety of it's constantly expanding titles, the Wii simply can't compete. There is zero room for argument there.

And while the Wii now has a considerable amount of great games, some of it's better games, ones that you guys are listing off, can't compare to whats offered on other consoles, and that's a big deal when it comes to determining what to buy. Madworld and No More Heroes simply can't compare to action titles like God of War, I liked the style of both games, but they just aren't as good as some of the offerings on other consoles.

Not fueling the Nintendo hate, just trying to level this out a bit. Banjoman is being a bit outrageous, but some of the arguments pro-nintendo are a bit far fetched too.

User Tag List