Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > General > Creative Cavern

Creative Cavern We'd love to see your artwork, read your stories, or play your games. So let your creative juices go wild. Images are enabled in this forum.

Old 10th January 2023, 07:18 AM
Requests name changes in wrong thread, pays price

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Was gonna say at some point that I've been teaching myself how to program on the Super Nintendo over the last 3 months or so, but I kept forgetting.

Still not at the point that I have anything worthwhile to show, but that should change sooner rather than later.

P.S. maybe I actually will make Super Luke for real who knows lel
Old 10th January 2023, 08:05 AM
u ‾ ‾ u

Total Awards: 3
RWP Donator RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
snes is super well documented. if you are already into doing assembly, it shouldn't be that hard of a leap, depending on what platform you started on.

i'm only interested in super metroid, and the entire game has been disassembled so it's pretty easy for me, plus the editors and other tools are very good.
Old 10th January 2023, 07:18 PM

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neen View Post
snes is super well documented. if you are already into doing assembly, it shouldn't be that hard of a leap, depending on what platform you started on.

i'm only interested in super metroid, and the entire game has been disassembled so it's pretty easy for me, plus the editors and other tools are very good.
Nah, this was my first time doing assembly, but the actual 65816 hasn't been too hard to understand.

I've read through a lot of wiki.superfamicom.org's stuff, and I followed along with this to get me started:

https://nesdoug.com/2020/03/19/snes-projects/

Right now I'm just doing deep diving to see how all the different hardware registers interact.

I'm probably gonna study up more on 65816 itself next, I'm not always sure what opcodes do what yet,
Old 11th January 2023, 04:40 AM
u ‾ ‾ u

Total Awards: 3
RWP Donator RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
i've only dipped my toes into assembly stuff, mostly making small modifications (sometimes called hex tweaks), but this reference has been great: https://patrickjohnston.org/ASM/List...%20opcodes.asm

unless you're super dedicated to making your own engine, picking another game and doing a total conversion romhack, with so much custom stuff it's almost unrecognizable would be easier.
Old 11th January 2023, 04:07 PM

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
i've only dipped my toes into assembly stuff, mostly making small modifications (sometimes called hex tweaks), but this reference has been great: https://patrickjohnston.org/ASM/List...%20opcodes.asm
Decided I better just go deep into this and read up on this bad boy:
https://archive.org/details/08930378...ammingThe65816

Quote:
unless you're super dedicated to making your own engine, picking another game and doing a total conversion romhack, with so much custom stuff it's almost unrecognizable would be easier.
This is true, but I'm really interested in seeing what I myself am capable of.

Though, even if I'm going from scratch now, I wouldn't mind messing around with other games at some point too.
Old 6th March 2023, 09:59 PM
a banana peel

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! RWP Podcast Rarity Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
I'm gonna start writing about game design on my blog more. And also I started a blog.

I wrote one recently about Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Old 21st March 2023, 02:17 AM
Satan

You're Appreciated! 
I've been working pretty heavily in between work and school on a terminal-based poker game using C++ as the driving foundation of the project. It's pretty simple, but I'm learning a ton about data structures and OOP in doing such. Once it's finished, I definitely wanna take a crack and refactoring the entire thing and extracting the logic into a graphical, more serviceable version. Planning to use SDL2 as the graphics library (don't want to use a game engine just yet, I feel like actually building the thing from scratch using a multimedia library would be excellent for reinforcing learning)

The challenge I'm at right now is formulating good algorithm to get the bots to behave in a way that is "unique" but pseudo-intelligent. I already have the idea in my head that bots get randomly assigned a cleverness, aggressiveness, and carefulness stat that affects how ballsy they are, how willing to fold they are, and how well they can read their hand and other peoples' bets, however I do think it's going to boil down to high intelligence stats letting the bot "cheat" by getting a ranking of a player's hand, (kinda like them reading faces) maybe adding a "bluff" stat that gives away information if the bot's stat is low, and gives away false or no information sometimes if the bot's stat is high.
Old 22nd March 2023, 03:20 AM

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDredlokk View Post
I've been working pretty heavily in between work and school on a terminal-based poker game using C++ as the driving foundation of the project. It's pretty simple, but I'm learning a ton about data structures and OOP in doing such. Once it's finished, I definitely wanna take a crack and refactoring the entire thing and extracting the logic into a graphical, more serviceable version. Planning to use SDL2 as the graphics library (don't want to use a game engine just yet, I feel like actually building the thing from scratch using a multimedia library would be excellent for reinforcing learning)

The challenge I'm at right now is formulating good algorithm to get the bots to behave in a way that is "unique" but pseudo-intelligent. I already have the idea in my head that bots get randomly assigned a cleverness, aggressiveness, and carefulness stat that affects how ballsy they are, how willing to fold they are, and how well they can read their hand and other peoples' bets, however I do think it's going to boil down to high intelligence stats letting the bot "cheat" by getting a ranking of a player's hand, (kinda like them reading faces) maybe adding a "bluff" stat that gives away information if the bot's stat is low, and gives away false or no information sometimes if the bot's stat is high.
Sounds interesting, keep me updated.
Old 22nd March 2023, 05:38 AM
a banana peel

I'd be careful about letting the bot cheat like that. Sure it's similar to reading a tell, but I know I'd be frustrated if my opponent knew to fold on a particularly good hand.

Maybe the "cheat" could be okay by also tracking a stat of how often the player hits on a low quality hand and using that to influence decisions? Ultimately cheating is gonna be fine as long as the player doesn't feel like it's unfair.

Old 22nd March 2023, 03:53 PM
Satan

You're Appreciated! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PstriPle View Post
Sounds interesting, keep me updated.
Hey, thanks for showing interest buddy!

https://github.com/dredylox/terminalpoker

I'll try and post some updates whenever I hit milestones and stuff, but if you wanna just follow as I go, I'll upload progress to this github repo as well. I'm still a newbie and am doing this both to learn and to eventually build a catalog of apps for a portfolio, so the code might be a little all over the place, and I still need to go back and comment everything (right now it's definitely got some super bad practice lmao)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Airplane View Post
I'd be careful about letting the bot cheat like that. Sure it's similar to reading a tell, but I know I'd be frustrated if my opponent knew to fold on a particularly good hand.

Maybe the "cheat" could be okay by also tracking a stat of how often the player hits on a low quality hand and using that to influence decisions? Ultimately cheating is gonna be fine as long as the player doesn't feel like it's unfair.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. "Cheating" is gonna be my last ditch effort after I exhaust any other more elegant options. It's more akin to what you had stated as well - moreso a bot having a high stat for reading opponents allowing them to have a higher chance to get a tell from them - mostly user players. If a bot has max intelligence stat, they'd have a higher than average chance of passing in a bool that roughly communicates "you suspect that player 1 is bluffing" to the program logic, and etc. however figuring out how to translate that idea into code and allow it to not outright be a "this CPU will always bet aggressively if it suspects a bluff," etc. will be a whole thing lol.
Old 4th April 2023, 06:55 AM
a banana peel

My project lately has been getting my Windows 98 computer up and running to be the best it can be.

Today I added a USB 2.0 card to it and it's incredible. File transfers are extremely fast, and the card has an internal port I was able to add another 100+GB to it

The PC is basically exactly where I want it. I might look into a better video card for it, but mostly at this point I'm browsing games.

Old 4th April 2023, 06:16 PM

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
My project lately has been getting my Windows 98 computer up and running to be the best it can be.

Today I added a USB 2.0 card to it and it's incredible. File transfers are extremely fast, and the card has an internal port I was able to add another 100+GB to it

The PC is basically exactly where I want it. I might look into a better video card for it, but mostly at this point I'm browsing games.
Make sure to install BonziBuddy.
Old 4th April 2023, 06:22 PM
a banana peel

the computer won't be connected to the internet so he can't do most of his things and he's sad

Old 4th April 2023, 09:18 PM

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
the computer won't be connected to the internet
Not even gonna install Netscape?

Sad day.
Old 5th April 2023, 02:28 AM
a banana peel