Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 25th May 2008, 07:51 AM
Glowbo

SFX Ripping/Recording for N64

As the title suggests, I am in need of SFX from a N64 game; specifically Donkey Kong 64's voice clips of King K. Rool. I have no knowledge of emulation or hacking, and nobody thus far has been able to help. The voice files in question will be used in an upcoming project. Please help!

Old 26th May 2008, 08:01 AM
Glowbo

Um... I don't know how to do that myself... sorry.

Old 26th May 2008, 02:34 PM
Jinjo

Just tried running it through a couple SFX extracting programs (SRIP, N64Lib) but either it doesn't use standard tables at all or (more likely) they compressed the snot out of them.

Voice is more likely encoded differently than that, however. Then again, the intercom voices in PD were standard sound files... Your best bet would be to record them in-game.

Old 26th May 2008, 08:40 PM
Glowbo

Unfortunately, that's not an option. There are ambient sound effects or yelps from other drones that obscure K. Rool's voice at every point in the game. The final battle is utterly useless for recording anything, thanks to the constant roar of the crowd. That's why actually ripping them is so neccessary.

This site specializes in hacking N64 games... surely there's more to be done besides running through some insta-rip applications and then giving up. But thanks for the input, spoondiddly.

Old 29th May 2008, 10:42 PM
Jinjo

The trouble with ripping audio is that you usually can't just rip the audio itself unless it follows a standard formatting. If it were that simple, you could just set a break on anything being written to the AI interrupts and copy the binary of said size at the address sent. The trouble is that you also need the code used to process the sound.

The solution so far used in the .usf format was to take a savestate and a rom, then strip both down so nothing is left but audio and the minimal code to process it. HCS runs that project, but at the moment his site is down. There should be a message when it gets up and running at http://hcs.freeshell.org/ It is usually music-specific, but it can be made to work with sound effects as well, I assume.

So, really, what I'm saying is that it would be a serious bite to try to do it, and that even when you do manage to get it going you'll still need to rip the content and save it in a far more orthodox format.

Old 30th May 2008, 10:02 PM
Dingpot

While we're on the subject, does anyone have the voice samples from Banjo-Kazooie?

Tags
audio, dk64

User Tag List