Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > The Banjo Kazooie Series

The Banjo Kazooie Series General Discussion about the Banjo Kazooie series from the N64 classics to the handheld sequels & new Xbox games.

Old 20th July 2022, 07:37 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoPL View Post
Comment from 2008 (Youtube DK64 - Ice Key Unlocked)

CyberMario
I was working at Nintendo while this was being made. Originally, it was supposed to be connected in a 'super-secret' way with Donkey Kong 64 (which I was working on at the time Banjo Tooie was being produced). In the end, the decision from the top was that the technique required to do the special connection was too hard to test for, and the idea was scrapped. The room where the connection was going to happen still exists in DK64, but it's walled off and can't be accessed.

From - sevinPackage
If you visit CyberMario's profile, you can view his upload from May 1st 2016 titled, "True Final Arena First Try Finish". In the description, you'll find a link to his Twitch channel, which reveals the following bio:

"Born in the wonderful year of 1993, I enjoy video games for the vast immersion and wonders."

So, either Nintendo decided to recruit this six year old employee in 1999, or this post reeks of "My Uncle works at Nintendo" - I'm going with the latter.

Besides that, exploring the area with clipping reveals that there is nothing on other side of the wall in Crystal Caves, so 'walling off' the content would have been very easy to find.

Last edited by Rare_Gamer; 20th July 2022 at 07:39 AM.

Old 20th July 2022, 03:53 PM
Mercury Star Power, Make Up~!

Total Awards: 10
Awesome Default Medal You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On 
Well, that comment from CyberMario ends with, "From - sevinPackage" which makes me think he's copy pasting something from another user who says they've worked for Nintendo.

sevinPackage, stylized as such, does exist and is a game developer. Personal Twitter and sevinPackage Games Twitter. A quick skim can neither confirm nor deny that he worked with Nintendo or Rare, but I haven't the time at the moment to truly go digging.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sevinpackage
https://mobile.twitter.com/sevinPackageG

Old 20th July 2022, 06:49 PM
a banana peel

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! RWP Podcast Rarity Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
Not going to full on dox the guy, but I will confirm that I found he was a game tester in that era. There's a gap in his credits around the time that Tooie and DK64 were coming out, which may be because they didn't credit all the testers (or because it was one of his colleagues working on it)

Old 20th July 2022, 08:32 PM
Glowbo

Fair enough, though I will still reserve judgment on his direct involvement with Donkey Kong 64 for now.
The most telling part of the quote is the last sentence:

The room where the connection was going to happen still exists in DK64, but it's walled off and can't be accessed.

Technically, the chamber has been 'walled off', as the doorway to this secret chamber was replaced with a wall, but as far as the location still existing in the game... I have my doubts.

It's not as though we're looking at a new map as well - the chamber would have been a part of Crystal Caves, so if you load that area, you load in the geometry of the 'secret chamber' as well.

I might be coming off as overly skeptical here, but I've seen how this community has been burned with similar stories in the past.

Old 20th July 2022, 09:15 PM
a banana peel

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! RWP Podcast Rarity Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
His recollection is probably wrong tbh. Or maybe it was walled off for a bit before they decided to outright remove it.

Old 21st July 2022, 11:42 AM
Missing Hero

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
I think it was too risky to left "connection chamber" in the game. Even walled-off GS hackers could access it and reveal dropped feature and went against Nintendo's order. At the same time GS hackers found a way to collect Ice Key in Banjo-Kazooie so it was very serious risk.

User Tag List