Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 18th June 2014, 07:11 AM
Best Rarely Active Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 4
Game On RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal 
I'm now a Wii U developer

Really exited. I submitted an application a few months ago, got a call from Nintendo yesterday, and they gave me developer status after the phone call.

I have a cool idea for the Wii U (with the Rareware spirit), hopefully it can come to fruition one day.

Last edited by Coolboyman; 18th June 2014 at 07:24 AM.

Old 18th June 2014, 07:41 AM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
My enthusiasm for you is beyond words, so I'll just ask what does the job intitle?

Old 18th June 2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyo76 View Post
My enthusiasm for you is beyond words, so I'll just ask what does the job intitle?
It's not a job, I'm now allowed to make my own games for the Wii U.

I'm hoping I can make a Banjo-Kazooie like game for the Wii U. It's pretty ambitious, but maybe in a year or so I can show something.

Last edited by Coolboyman; 18th June 2014 at 08:47 AM.

Old 18th June 2014, 09:01 AM
Bunnycomb

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
I'm absolutely ecstatic for you! I can't wait to see what you produce in the hopeful near future.

Old 18th June 2014, 11:20 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 15
Mystery Four Mystery Three Mystery Two Mystery One INFECTED - B2K1 
So, they sent you like the official WiiU dev kit?

That, sir, is awesome! If you ever need help with something/music or sound related.... Call me haha

'd love to hear more on how programming for Wii U is different from any other consoles/computer. After all, it's the reason companies are less willing to port to Wii U (That, and the low sales)
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 18th June 2014, 03:04 PM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Total Awards: 13
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
Congratulations, CBM. Hope the job is everything you expected and more.

Old 18th June 2014, 04:22 PM
Humba Wumba

INFECTED - B1K1 
Congratulations! Wii U will need games like yours, and I can't wait to see how it looks

Old 18th June 2014, 04:58 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 10
You're Appreciated! Bashful Imagination Game On Reminiscence 
Sounds awesome. I look forward to seeing whatever you come up with.

Old 18th June 2014, 09:46 PM
Formerly GoldenJiggies

INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolboyman View Post
Really exited. I submitted an application a few months ago, got a call from Nintendo yesterday, and they gave me developer status after the phone call.

I have a cool idea for the Wii U (with the Rareware spirit), hopefully it can come to fruition one day.
I've actually been interested in this, but have had no idea how to even go about something like this. I'd also question my capability of developing a game anywhere outside of Game Maker, but I'd like to think that my willingness and ability to learn would be enough.

However, the game making software or language is only half of it. The other half is logic and knowing how to solve problems and design your world. That I know much better.

Nonetheless I am nothing but excited for you and the game you're gonna make on Wii U. If there's anyway anyone here can help you know all you have to do is let us know.

Old 19th June 2014, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the well wishes everybody!

As for helping out, thanks but I already have a development crew. What I would love from you guys is your feedback regarding this potential project. Everyone here loves Banjo-Kazooie, and I would love to create the spiritual successor that the Ex-Rare employees weren't able to complete.

So I'm thinking for the 3D Platformer idea, we would only create one level. For example, if this was Banjo-Kazooie, I would only make Mumbo's Mountain. I'll probably let a couple of professionals do some work on the game using money out of my own pocket (if they have a specialty that my crew doesn't posses). I have a few people in mind as well.

After the first level is 100% done and everyone is happy with how the level turned out, I would put it on Kickstarter where potential backers could download the one level demo for free (If Nintendo would allow that, I'll have to ask them). They would know exactly what kind of game they're funding.

What do you all think?

Old 19th June 2014, 01:37 PM
Formerly GoldenJiggies

INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolboyman View Post
Thanks for the well wishes everybody!

As for helping out, thanks but I already have a development crew. What I would love from you guys is your feedback regarding this potential project. Everyone here loves Banjo-Kazooie, and I would love to create the spiritual successor that the Ex-Rare employees weren't able to complete.

So I'm thinking for the 3D Platformer idea, we would only create one level. For example, if this was Banjo-Kazooie, I would only make Mumbo's Mountain. I'll probably let a couple of professionals do some work on the game using money out of my own pocket (if they have a specialty that my crew doesn't posses). I have a few people in mind as well.

After the first level is 100% done and everyone is happy with how the level turned out, I would put it on Kickstarter where potential backers could download the one level demo for free (If Nintendo would allow that, I'll have to ask them). They would know exactly what kind of game they're funding.

What do you all think?
Sounds like a grand idea. Not too different from the plan for Hat in Time.

Old 19th June 2014, 05:30 PM
Mr. Pants

That's amazing, man! Congratulations on this, that's pretty damn awesome. I'm more than willing to advertise and promote the hell out of your new games! I'll even pull some strings and get my YouTube famous buddies to gain you some exposure. Good luck, and I'm sure you'll make some fantastic games!

Old 19th June 2014, 05:49 PM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Total Awards: 13
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goku View Post
That's amazing, man! Congratulations on this, that's pretty damn awesome. I'm more than willing to advertise and promote the hell out of your new games! I'll even pull some strings and get my YouTube famous buddies to gain you some exposure. Good luck, and I'm sure you'll make some fantastic games!
This is coming from the man that moon-walked with Egoraptor at MAGFest 2014.

Old 20th June 2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Thanks, but I would only want this to be advertised when at the very least I have one level 100% done. For now I'd like to keep quiet about it because I don't know if I'm going to be able to even get the project to that state. Remember, it may take years to get one level out. If this project doesn't become anything (which is entirely possible), I don't want to disappoint everybody.

I'm only discussing it with you guys because you are all Banjo fans and you all know what makes a great Banjo game. If I can get the fans here to approve of all aspects of this project, then I think I'm going to be fine.

Old 20th June 2014, 08:27 PM
Formerly Frozyn

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence 
That's so good to hear, Coolboyman; I really hope this all works out well for you. I'll be keeping my eye on this.

User Tag List