Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > The Banjo Kazooie Series

The Banjo Kazooie Series General Discussion about the Banjo Kazooie series from the N64 classics to the handheld sequels & new Xbox games.

Old 24th August 2010, 10:52 AM
Grunty's Reject

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
The original concept

The team stated that they had attempted to make a straightforward sequel to Banjo-Tooie, but felt it was a "stale" method. While the game was in early development, Mayles hinted at the new direction:

“ [...]our aim is to take the 3D platform adventuring game into the next generation and do something more than just adding polygons. Some fans look back fondly and want more of the same, but the Banjo of yesteryear has no real place in tomorrow's market on the Xbox 360. What we want to do is retain all the elements that made the first two games so loved, but also try things that breathe new life into a genre that has sadly been neglected for many years. ”

Furthermore in a recent interview former Rare musician Grant Kirkhope stated the game was initially a straight platformer that would heavily feature locations from the past games and that's where the idea to re-use the themes from the levels in the new soundtrack came from.

They just don't get it, do they...I think more people would have bought a BT sequel than a driving game.

Old 24th August 2010, 11:31 AM
Bunnycomb

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayles View Post
“ [...]our aim is to take the 3D platform adventuring game into the next generation and do something more than just adding polygons. Some fans look back fondly and want more of the same, but the Banjo of yesteryear has no real place in tomorrow's market on the Xbox 360. What we want to do is retain all the elements that made the first two games so loved, but also try things that breathe new life into a genre that has sadly been neglected for many years. ”
Too bad it didn't work out that well.They retained some elements,like the humor and the ability to made a kiddy furry game that even adults can easily enjoy,but they forgot that the high quality adventure platforming itself is one of these.

Oh,the second sentence is correct,at least in my case.I nearly wouldn't have bought the great first Jak and Daxter becuase it looked like a kiddy game and I really doubt I would buy a childish platformer with furries like Banjo Kazooie at full price now,regardless of the quality.I don't know if more people would've bought BK:N&B if it was a classic Banjo platformer,but I know that it still wouldn't be that successful.

Old 24th August 2010, 11:37 AM
Missing Hero

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Mayles said that there was idea about BK remake (not port) and Threeie where Banjo and Grunty meets at levels.

Old 24th August 2010, 01:30 PM
Glowbo

Yeah, I read about that the other day. The B-K remake would have been different in that you would have to deal with some rather insane new tasks as you played. One being having a Giant Termite bursting out of Tickers Tower In Mumbo's Mountain, and you would have to get Conga to throw oranges at it to beat it.

So, sort of a "Banjo-Kazooie: Hard Mode".

The other concept was a platformer where Grunty followed you throughout the levels trying to beat you at everything you did, but they didn't really elaborate on the concept. My guess is you have to complete tasks and collect Jiggies before Grunty beat you too them.

They're both interesting concepts, but not ones that I would have really liked myself.

Old 24th August 2010, 02:01 PM
Von Kriplespac

You're Appreciated! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Laurence View Post
The team stated that they had attempted to make a straightforward sequel to Banjo-Tooie, but felt it was a "stale" method.
Banjo wasn't stale, the replayability was. After you got all the Jiggies, the only thing you could do was walk around and look at the levels.

Quote:
“Some fans look back fondly and want more of the same, but the Banjo of yesteryear has no real place in tomorrow's market on the Xbox 360.
Don't forget, Rare: You made people love Banjo years ago and you can make new people love Banjo now.

Quote:
What we want to do is retain all the elements that made the first two games so loved, but also try things that breathe new life into a genre that has sadly been neglected for many years.”
I completely understand why Rare went with the idea of Nuts and Bolts and it simply didn't work out the way they wanted it to. Things like that happen all the time, we learn from the past/our mistakes. People just can't accept change, which is bad because change is happening 24/7. Get over it.

Old 24th August 2010, 08:37 PM
Jolly Rodger

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBB View Post
Banjo wasn't stale, the replayability was. After you got all the Jiggies, the only thing you could do was walk around and look at the levels.
How long did it take you to find all the jiggies, plus every other thing? Especially in BT, finding everything in those games would take a long time especially without any help.

Replayability and length is not Banjo's problem in any way.

Old 24th August 2010, 10:07 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 17
You're Appreciated! Mystery Four Mystery One Thread Starter Imagination 
...yea, I can back this up.

When I first got BT, I spend 9 hours playing it.
In Spiral Mountain

I did not know I had to go through the tunnel.

I enjoyed pretending I was a boat . . .

I think I spent more time trying to get past the rocks in the lair then anyone who KNEW what was behind the rocks in the lair. I had not played BK beforehand.

Buterflies are insex. ~TwilightVestige

Old 24th August 2010, 11:17 PM
Brash Breegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyme123 View Post
I lol'd

Old 24th August 2010, 11:42 PM
Mr. Pants

This article makes me

Surely, they could have put a new spin on the franchise, like Galaxy did for Mario, but not straying too far from the original formula.

Old 25th August 2010, 01:40 AM
Jinjo

Conflagration violent.... i thought we would have a big, evil, burnt up hub world with a darker side to Banjo and Kazooie.
but no.....

Old 25th August 2010, 06:46 AM
Missing Hero

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdman67 View Post
Conflagration violent.... i thought we would have a big, evil, burnt up hub world with a darker side to Banjo and Kazooie.
but no.....
I always thought Banjo-Threeie as much darker, sad and epic part - Minjos invasion on Jinjo Village, Blackeye leading pirates to big war in TTC etc.

Old 7th September 2010, 08:06 PM
Formerly BanjoBoy123

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
...yea, I can back this up.

When I first got BT, I spend 9 hours playing it.
In Spiral Mountain

I did not know I had to go through the tunnel.

I think I spent more time trying to get past the rocks in the lair then anyone who KNEW what was behind the rocks in the lair. I had not played BK beforehand.
Damn you for making me laugh during class.

Old 8th September 2010, 09:16 PM
Mecha-Grunty

Somebody get a time machine, quick.

Old 10th September 2010, 01:41 PM
Mecha-Grunty

RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Dammit, I laughed in class.

Old 10th September 2010, 01:54 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 17
You're Appreciated! Mystery Four Mystery One Thread Starter Imagination 
Alright

I pretended I was a boat that could fly. I spent like, 6 hours flying around SM. Most of that time in the "behind the waterfall" place..

Buterflies are insex. ~TwilightVestige

User Tag List