Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 26th July 2008, 12:29 AM
Showdown Town Tour Guide

Total Awards: 11
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Awesome Default Medal RWP Note Medal RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Sabreman Stampede and Battletoads GBA beta footage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RbzE51k1I0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JUVIIAa5lo

And here I thought Sabreman Stampede didn't actually exist...and Battletoads GBA I had NO idea about.

(Also, Battletoads technically says "pre-alpha" but whatever. )

Old 26th July 2008, 12:51 AM
Glowbo

The Sabreman is new to me.

Wow.

Old 26th July 2008, 01:35 AM
Bunnycomb

Now I'm pissed. I wonder how many other great Rare games were cancelled in the last decade for no damn reason at all.

Old 26th July 2008, 01:36 AM

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Both look awesomely fun. The toads voice is...Banjo's?

Old 26th July 2008, 01:50 AM
Most Intelligent Member ('08 - '09)

INFECTED - B1K1 
ok, so i dont mean this to flame or w/e, i know its apparently herasy to say this, but battletoads does not look fun, it looks like very generic, side scrolling, beat em up action, with absolutely nothing to set it apart.

Sabreman looked really cool though, odd it was cancelled.

Old 26th July 2008, 01:53 AM
New Member of the Year ('07 - '08)

Okay, seriously, **** you Rare for not completing and releasing Sabreman Stampede. Instead of this, we got Grabbed by the Ghoulies and a shoddy Conker port.

Old 26th July 2008, 02:01 AM
Dingpot

INFECTED - B1K1 
Saberman Stampede looks really fun, while Battletoads looks ok. Why did they have to cancel them?

Old 26th July 2008, 02:02 AM
Jolly Rodger

RWP Note Medal 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConkerTribe View Post
Okay, seriously, **** you Rare for not completing and releasing Sabreman Stampede. Instead of this, we got Grabbed by the Ghoulies and a shoddy Conker port.
You shouldn't speak to Rare in a manner like that when it was probably completely out of their hands. Yes, it is disappointing they were both cancelled, but you should seriously chill.

And Grabbed by the Ghoulies wasn't a horrible game, just advertised poorly and Rare's first array on the Xbox when the majority of their fans were still with Nintendo.

EDIT: You have to bear in mind Banjo Dude that it was pre-alpha. Very very very early in its development cycle. The final product of Battletoads would have been much better.

Old 26th July 2008, 02:04 AM
Glowbo

sabreman stampede..... looks awesome...... sadly it got canceled and is now with timber 64 and the other games rare cancelled.... who knows maybe one day .... it may it will come back.... who knows

Old 26th July 2008, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylian1 View Post
You shouldn't speak to Rare in a manner like that when it was probably completely out of their hands. Yes, it is disappointing they were both cancelled, but you should seriously chill.
The way I see it, you don't know that for a fact, therefore I can make assumptions on it if I desire. You can thank the colonists for that. If you did know that it was out of their hands, then I'd apologize, but you don't, so my comment is as valid as yours.

Quote:
And Grabbed by the Ghoulies wasn't a horrible game, just advertised poorly and Rare's first array on the Xbox when the majority of their fans were still with Nintendo.
It may have been advertised poorly and, yes, there were unusual circumstances, but that didn't change the fact that it was a pretty mindless arcade beat-em-up with poor replayability.

Quote:
EDIT: You have to bear in mind Banjo Dude that it was pre-alpha. Very very very early in its development cycle. The final product of Battletoads would have been much better.
Well, Rare hasn't exactly had a spotless handheld gaming record, so I have my doubts.

Old 26th July 2008, 02:16 AM
Dingpot

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
That's true. Knowing Rare, they would do everything they could to make great games.

Old 26th July 2008, 02:20 AM
Jolly Rodger

RWP Note Medal 
Quote:
The way I see it, you don't know that for a fact, therefore I can make assumptions on it if I desire. You can thank the colonists for that. If you did know that it was out of their hands, then I'd apologize, but you don't, so my comment is as valid as yours.
I said probably mate. Never stated it as fact. Simply making an assumption just as you did.

Quote:
It may have been advertised poorly and, yes, there were unusual circumstances, but that didn't change the fact that it was a pretty mindless arcade beat-em-up with poor replayability.
The same could be said of Dead Rising, which wasn't nearly as good as GBTG imo and was the very same concept.

Quote:
Well, Rare hasn't exactly had a spotless handheld gaming record, so I have my doubts.
Have your doubts about what? The game being better? For something that was in such an early stage of development, it looked pretty nice there and had the same general concept as all other Battletoads games in the past. If you're not a fan of the franchise, then obviously you probably wouldn't have liked this one.

Last edited by Hylian1; 26th July 2008 at 02:22 AM.

Old 26th July 2008, 02:24 AM

Quote:
I said probably mate. Never stated it as fact.
And I said that you don't know anything about it, so who are you to tell me how I should speak to Rare? I'll say whatever I damn well please. Excuse me if someone getting in the middle of me and my civil rights gets me a bit perturbed.

Quote:
The same could be said of Dead Rising, which wasn't nearly as good as GBTG imo and was the very same concept.
Except in that game, you didn't have to use the damn right analog stick for attacks, a very annoying mechanic IMO.

Quote:
Have your doubts about what? The game being better? For something that was in such an early stage of development, it looked pretty nice there and had the same general concept as all other Battletoads games in the past. If you're not a fan of the franchise, then obviously you probably wouldn't have liked this one.
I based my response on their past efforts on the GBA and other handheld devices, not games within the franchise. Obviously, if that were true, Grunty's Revenge would have been fan-****ing-tastic.

Old 26th July 2008, 02:34 AM
Jolly Rodger

RWP Note Medal 
Quote:
And I said that you don't know anything about it, so who are you to tell me how I should speak to Rare? I'll say whatever I damn well please. Excuse me if someone getting in the middle of me and my civil rights gets me a bit perturbed.
Talk however you please. I don't give a rat's ***. But it's uncalled for for you to just up and say "**** you" to Rare based off of your assumption that it's there fault.

Quote:
I based my response on their past efforts on the GBA and other handheld devices, not games within the franchise. Obviously, if that were true, Grunty's Revenge would have been fan-****ing-tastic.
Rare's Game Boy Advance games were of the great quality that Rare puts into all of their games. Aside from the Donkey Kong Country games, their non-Nintendo published handheld titles didn'ts sell well because of THQ's ****ed up marketing. I'm sure many people did think Grunty's Revenge was fan-****ing-tastic. For a GBA game, it captured what the N64 titles did quite well imo.

Old 26th July 2008, 02:37 AM

lol at your denial of Rare's fall from grace. I refuse to argue with someone who just blindly follows a leader like some mormon selling bibles door-to-door or whatever the hell they do.

Tags
battletoads, beta, footage, gameboy advance, gba, microsoft, nintendo, rare, sabreman, sabreman stampede, video, xbox 360

User Tag List