Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 26th July 2008, 03:43 AM
Jolly Rodger

Total Awards: 1
RWP Note Medal 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConkerTribe View Post
lol at your denial of Rare's fall from grace. I refuse to argue with someone who just blindly follows a leader like some mormon selling bibles door-to-door or whatever the hell they do.
When has Rare fallen from grace? Perfect Dark Zero has been their only "flunk" because it was incomplete and they failed to incorporate into it everything that had made the original and Goldeneye the outstanding games they were/still are. And even then, PDZ was very well polished and still their best selling game for Microsoft since they were purchased.

I'll never understand people's assumptions that they aren't the same company they have always been. Everyone tries to put the blame on "all the good people left" or "because their not with Nintendo anymore" etc, etc. Make one mistake with one game that still managed to sell really well and everyone hates you for it then.

Old 26th July 2008, 03:50 AM
New Member of the Year ('07 - '08)

I'm gonna make this really simple. Since you and I have different opinions on what makes a game good, there can be no foreseeable end to this discussion.

Sorry for being nasty, I thought you were being stupid for a minute, but you just, um... have low standards, or something... and you have an undying loyalty to Rare. I'm a bit cynical, especially about Rare, so it's understandable that we would fight about this.

Old 26th July 2008, 06:12 AM
Brash Breegull

RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Sabreman looked pretty good!

I would be interested to see why rare cancelled this game.

Old 26th July 2008, 09:51 AM
Bunnycomb

Umm... I'm not exactly the biggest Rare fan but I loved Ghoulies. The controls were pretty intuitive (for those willing to keep an open mind) and the amount of challenges, though mostly focusing on beating the crap out of things, were all varied in difficulty and style and kept the game moving at a decent pace. If you want a mindless beat em up, play Battletoads. It doesn't mean people have low standards, it just means they saw something in Ghoulies that you obviously were too stubborn to recognize. If all beat em ups were this original I probably wouldn't hate the genre as much as I do.

I do stand by what I said earlier, though. If Rare could finish a damn game from time to time they might not be as frowned down upon as they are now. Sabreman looked damn awesome. What a disappointment.

Old 26th July 2008, 09:57 AM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 2
RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
The way I see it, you don't know that for a fact, therefore I can make assumptions on it if I desire. You can thank the colonists for that. If you did know that it was out of their hands, then I'd apologize, but you don't, so my comment is as valid as yours.
Seeing as the DKR team suffered quite a few resignations (Martin Wakeley et al), I don't think they did have a choice.

Old 26th July 2008, 01:17 PM
Most Intelligent Member ('08 - '09)

INFECTED - B1K1 
Ghoulies sucked, even Rare knows that, thats why they put all the copies of ghoulies in a TRASH CAN in Banjo Land.

And don't call me close-minded because of that, I give nearly everything a chance, I was one of the few that actually picked up the original katamari damacy (before it became advertised and "cool") i've played ghoulies, it sucks.

comparing ghoulies to dead rising is assanine, dead rising had a time based mission system that few games do, alot of side things to accomplish, and was anything BUT a linear title.

Last edited by xxjoesusxx; 26th July 2008 at 01:19 PM.

Old 26th July 2008, 01:23 PM
McLovin

Total Awards: 3
INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal Random Award 
I like Ghoulies. It's a good game, just needed more replay. I never heard much of Sabreman Stampede, but I'm guessing after trolling an engine over three platforms, it just didn't make sense compared to the current crop of games.

Old 26th July 2008, 01:36 PM
Most Intelligent Member ('08 - '09)

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubDrag View Post
but I'm guessing after trolling an engine over three platforms, it just didn't make sense compared to the current crop of games.
that makes alot of sense, that's probably what happened with perfect dark as well.

Old 26th July 2008, 01:40 PM
Brash Breegull

Funny thing- I remember Ghoulies getting on average 7s in reviews, and yet it's met with such vitriol in the gaming community.
(And perhaps that trash can is just, you know, a joke?)

Old 26th July 2008, 02:25 PM
Jolly Rodger

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by watkinzez View Post
Funny thing- I remember Ghoulies getting on average 7s in reviews, and yet it's met with such vitriol in the gaming community.
(And perhaps that trash can is just, you know, a joke?)
I dunno, I remember seeing the Ghoulies review in Electronic Gaming Monthly and they hated it. They gave it a 5.5 (out of 10). I remember being quite happy about it, too, because I was going to buy an Xbox to play it (and any other games Rare released on it), but after I saw that I figured what's the point?

In all fairness, though, I eventually did play GbtG, and it wasn't that bad, but it wasn't that great, either. I'm still glad I waited until the 360 to buy a Microsoft console.

And that's too bad about Sabreman Stampede, it looked really fun!

Old 26th July 2008, 02:36 PM
Brash Breegull

EGM are harsher than most + confusion about scales. There's always extremes of opinion.

Old 26th July 2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watkinzez View Post
Seeing as the DKR team suffered quite a few resignations (Martin Wakeley et al), I don't think they did have a choice.
Well, then, supposing that's true, I apologize... but seeing how Rare supposedly never changes, as Hylian says, then they would have had no problem completing the game despite these resignations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjoesusxx View Post
And don't call me close-minded because of that, I give nearly everything a chance, I was one of the few that actually picked up the original katamari damacy (before it became advertised and "cool") i've played ghoulies, it sucks.
Amen to that, brother. I mean, as far as games go, I'm one of the most open-minded people you can meet. I gave Pikmin and Animal Crossing a chance before they could develop any sort of fan following, and now look at the popularity of those franchises.

Just because I found a control mechanic to be awkward, doesn't make me a conservative prick.

Quote:
comparing ghoulies to dead rising is assanine, dead rising had a time based mission system that few games do, alot of side things to accomplish, and was anything BUT a linear title.
To be fair, GbtG was like a kiddy arcade version of Dead Rising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain Horward View Post
I dunno, I remember seeing the Ghoulies review in Electronic Gaming Monthly and they hated it. They gave it a 5.5 (out of 10). I remember being quite happy about it, too, because I was going to buy an Xbox to play it (and any other games Rare released on it), but after I saw that I figured what's the point?
Yeah, EGM has some sort of vendetta against Rare for whatever reason. I remember them giving a relatively low review to DKC on the GBA (a C+). They even made an editorial once of the 10 Most Overrated Games of All Time and there were three, I repeat 3, Rare games on the list, including Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, and Perfect-****ing-Dark. 'Nuff said.

Source.

Last edited by ConkerTribe; 26th July 2008 at 04:14 PM.

Old 26th July 2008, 05:18 PM
Dingpot

Quote:
Except in that game, you didn't have to use the damn right analog stick for attacks, a very annoying mechanic IMO.
Sorry, but that's complete bullkaka. Ghoulies was a game where that control scheme worked really, and I mean *really* well!

Old 26th July 2008, 05:28 PM

Congrats on having an opinion.

Old 26th July 2008, 07:24 PM
Bunnycomb

So yeah, like... how 'bout that Sabreman Stampede?

Tags
battletoads, beta, footage, gameboy advance, gba, microsoft, nintendo, rare, sabreman, sabreman stampede, video, xbox 360

User Tag List