Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop

Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop SNS? Bottle's Revenge? Share your thoughts on the mysteries of the Banjo series and discuss the new Stop 'n' Swop features in Nuts and Bolts and the XBLA games

Old 10th June 2006, 12:57 PM
Glowbo

SNS: Would we...?

*Essay Ahoy, if looking for SNS solving, you aint gonna find it here. This is just something i wondered. IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT, DON'T COMMENT. I AM ALLOWED TO SPEAK MY MIND.*

--------LAST WARNING!---------

SNS (Stop N Swop) is perhaps the most well kept game secret that has ever been derived. People love glitches, they are attracted to them. It gives them a sense that they are "beating the game", finding things the creators didn't want you to see, for whatever reasons. It sure is elating.

SNS cannot be described as a glitch. It is more like a conspiracy, a living joke. After the fine people here at RWP hacked into BK and blew open the whole secret, Rare had no choice but to quickly throw together a solution to the promise from BK into BT. It was quite obviously NOT what they had planned. All this hype and secrecy behind Stop N Swop, it could not simply be bashing some cartriges and getting items. But we already know that from the people at RWP.

No, what i wonder is, if we finally managed to find Stop N Swop, after so long searching....would we really be that happy? It's quite obvious that all the secrecy was the main attraction to Stop N Swop, if we found it, wouldn't most of it's appeal be lost? RWP has already pretty much unveiled every nook and cranny of Stop N Swop, if we found it, it wouldn't be much of a surprise.

Rare knows that, for many people, people buy their games in the hopes of finding Stop N Swop strategies, hints or solutions. So Rare, being so spiteful as to say "You know, they uncovered a secret not meant to be seen, let's get some revenge!" place hints in their games, in the hopes that people will try them, just so Rare can feel satisfied.

Now knowing what Stop N Swop is after such extensive research from RWP, the only reason people want to find it so bad is closure. There'll always be some doubt (at least in my case) at the back of their mind that Stop N Swop has more to it than the stuff RWP has found, or that it dosen't exist at all. Still people fruitlessly search for it.

If we found Stop N Swop, would it really be so interesting anymore?

PS: I am not saying that this is the opinion of everyone, but this is just in my case. I just wonder if anyone else shares my view. I'm not forcing it upon anyone.

Last edited by Kez; 10th June 2006 at 09:49 PM.

Old 10th June 2006, 08:04 PM
Showdown Town Tour Guide

Total Awards: 11
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Awesome Default Medal RWP Note Medal RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
1. We're NOT going to find it (so much for that )

2. But if we seriously did, yes, I think it would be worth it to everyone. People would play BK/BT again to get the secrets the real way. It would be the finest day in RWP history. People would send millions of "NO U" messages to Rare.

See, me, it's not that I don't want Stop 'N' Swop to be found -- I would be happy if it was!

HOWEVER. I also DO NOT BELIEVE IT IS STILL IN THE GAME. That's why I am so bitter on S'N'S. While finding it would be a dream come true, I am also 100% sure it will NEVER happen.

And being sure it will never happen pisses me off. But it's how I am. I'm logical. I look at the facts. It's not going to happen. I wish it would. But it's not.

And I have derailed this topic completely. Oh well.

Old 10th June 2006, 09:38 PM
Clanker

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Finding SnS would be a treat for all us desparate searchers, and if it's still there, I hope we can find it. If it's not, oh well. We had our fun looking, and we still found cool stuff like the eggs that were never officialy revealed by Rare - and Bottle's Revenge.

Old 10th June 2006, 09:53 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozimul
Finding SnS would be a treat for all us desparate searchers, and if it's still there, I hope we can find it. If it's not, oh well. We had our fun looking, and we still found cool stuff like the eggs that were never officialy revealed by Rare - and Bottle's Revenge.
Yes, but the fact is, those eggs do not really do anything.
As you mentioned, Rare didn't reveal them. This therefore makes them more interesting automatically.

As for Bottle's Revenge, i can't say the same, as that is a game mode, in full working order. But still, once it's been found, the novelty kinda wears off. Honestly, how many of you are still using the mode now? Or how many of you are still going crazy over it?

No offense like

Bottles98 - Never lose hope. Remember, Bottle's Revenge wasn't supposed to be found, and was said to not be there. But it was found.
Although i admit there is a miniscule chance of finding SNS, there was a miniscule chance of finding BR and they found it. Dream on... *waves hands like he's stoned*

Old 10th June 2006, 10:49 PM
Jolly Rodger

RWP Note Medal 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kez
After the fine people here at RWP hacked into BK and blew open the whole secret, Rare had no choice but to quickly throw together a solution to the promise from BK into BT.
Correction: The sandcastle codes were found in 2001, one year after Tooie was released. Time Paradox here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kez
Rare knows that, for many people, people buy their games in the hopes of finding Stop N Swop strategies, hints or solutions.
I wonder if anyone bought BP or BK:GR hoping to find SnS. =/
The only purpose of SnS as a market strategy was to make you buy Tooie.
And this goal was reached, even if SnS wasn't quite there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kez
No, what i wonder is, if we finally managed to find Stop N Swop, after so long searching....would we really be that happy? It's quite obvious that all the secrecy was the main attraction to Stop N Swop, if we found it, wouldn't most of it's appeal be lost?
Imo, I think that the appeal behind SnS is not "using it", but finding what it was supposed to be. We still don't have any clues about its real use.

Kinda like I always dreamt with finding a beta Zelda64 cartridge, even knowing that this cart will be inferior compared to the final product. I want to know what the developers intended at first. If I only wanted to have alternative dungeons and enemies or something, I'd just buy Twilight Princess or Master's Quest. But a beta Zelda64 cart has more value to me than any new game, including TP.

Unless, of course, TP gets cancelled .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kez
If we found Stop N Swop, would it really be so interesting anymore?
You can bet your eyes on it. XD
Just watching how Rare reacts to this would be sweet enough.

Last edited by LaorBR; 10th June 2006 at 10:54 PM.

Old 10th June 2006, 10:56 PM
Jinjo

I like your essay dude.

I, for one, have No hopes of finding a working SnS. I'm just curious as to how it was gonna work when it existed. If I can see one text or cutscene from either game that says "now turn off the N64 and swop _______ with ________.." then I'll be a happy person.

Not to see it work. Just to know that we found it.

Old 10th June 2006, 11:56 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaorBR
Correction: The sandcastle codes were found in 2001, one year after Tooie was released. Time Paradox here. I wonder if anyone bought BP or BK:GR hoping to find SnS. =/
Damn, got pwned here. :B Should of done my research, bad boy! *smacks hand*

I know people who bought both those games for that reason though.

Old 11th June 2006, 12:44 AM
Jolly Rodger

RWP Note Medal 
Hehe sometimes I get a lil' offensive for no reason.
sorry.

Old 11th June 2006, 06:28 PM
Grunty's Reject

Location: A Dark Cave in a volcano, guarded by 12 Ket-Zek... Come on in..
i DO NOT WANT SNS. it is better left unsolved. just goes to rare when the next banjo game comes out, there will be a real working SNS. it wil ruin out fun..

i dont know... lol it is like magic.. when you want it one way, you also want it another way.. argh!

Old 12th June 2006, 12:41 AM
Clanker

I would love to see if it was uncoverd I mean like LaorBR said just seeing Rare react would be great

But of course unlocking the secrets of SNS would take teamwork and besides after you have uncoverd pats of it theres no telling what you will get after you have unlocked it, What if it's not what we expected? What happends if rare decided that they could'nt be arsed to make sns so they quite O.o (most unlikley)

I have been wondering if SNS is still in BK and not in BT then would it be possible to make a new n64 rom and conenct it with BK O.o sounds diffucult but of course you would need to know what goes where and what sends what data to the ram

Old 12th June 2006, 06:16 PM
Grunty's Reject

Location: A Dark Cave in a volcano, guarded by 12 Ket-Zek... Come on in..
eh.. i think ice said that it was possable to make levles in bk.. but really hard..

hey icemario, why dont you create fungus forest for us?!!?!? with your 1337 hacking skills you could.. lol really you could

Old 12th June 2006, 07:15 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TzTok-Jad
eh.. i think ice said that it was possable to make levles in bk.. but really hard..

hey icemario, why dont you create fungus forest for us?!!?!? with your 1337 hacking skills you could.. lol really you could
Ice probably could CREATE the level. But then, what would the point be? He would be creating his own level, it would not be Fungus Forest itself, merely a copy. A clone, without any of the supposed secrets.

What i mean is that if he creates it, it won't be Fungus Forest. It'll be Ice's version. If you follow me?

Old 12th June 2006, 09:35 PM
Dingpot

RWP Note Medal 
To address the topic, there are many quotes along these lines, and it is how I look at what we are trying to uncover:

“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.”

Old 13th June 2006, 04:29 PM
Glowbo

"Then inifinite joy shall lay ahead of us."

Old 14th June 2006, 04:44 AM
Brash Breegull

Random Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kez
Ice probably could CREATE the level. But then, what would the point be? He would be creating his own level, it would not be Fungus Forest itself, merely a copy. A clone, without any of the supposed secrets.

What i mean is that if he creates it, it won't be Fungus Forest. It'll be Ice's version. If you follow me?
Yeah, we get that but wouldn't it be fun to play on a whole new level? Getting more Jiggies and stuff. I don't think SNS is in BK. Too many years of hacking and we unlocked pretty much everything in this game but SNS doesn't look clear anymore.