Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop

Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop SNS? Bottle's Revenge? Share your thoughts on the mysteries of the Banjo series and discuss the new Stop 'n' Swop features in Nuts and Bolts and the XBLA games

Old 10th May 2008, 06:37 AM
Jinjo

BK- DK64 still possible?

so...after reading runeheros thread here:
http://www.rarewitchproject.com/foru...ad.php?t=15609

and this:
http://rarewitchproject.com/?id=1274

I was wondering, If the ice key is still in the code for DK64 and runehero is correct about cold swapping then could SNS still be possible between the two?

Old 10th May 2008, 07:11 AM
Mecha-Grunty

Total Awards: 4
Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
I was thinking about this too, since Stop n Swop seemed to be going full steam ahead at BK's time of release, who's to say the big N had forced them to can it before the release of DK64? Maybe EVERY SINGLE PERSON THAT'S EVER HACKED THIS GAME has missed some obscure line in the games coding that makes it all possible? Improbable but not impossible, although one would like to think we would have found something other the the word ICEKEY in the 9 years odd since the games release.

Old 10th May 2008, 04:01 PM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 1
RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award 
Banjo Kazooie has been hacked to the limit. There is now a 1% chance of us finding anything at all, and even that 1% is based on luck. This applies to both the rom and n64 versions.

Donkey kong 64 is a very hard game to hack, but most of the stuff to find has been found, including both the kiosk and normal versions. We havnt missed anything. There are to many hackers to miss something. The only sns stuff in dk64 is the ice key text in the memory and a possible unknown hidden area in the game called SHARED in the games memory.

Old 10th May 2008, 06:26 PM
Jinjo

Banjo-Kazooie - 05/31/98
Donkey Kong 64 - 10/31/99

Unless the Nintendo Power SNS article was released between these two dates i don't see why rare would've removed it from DK64

Old 10th May 2008, 08:23 PM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFR
I was wondering, If the ice key is still in the code for DK64 and runehero is correct about cold swapping then could SNS still be possible between the two?
We(hackers) are pretty(99.999%) sure that cold-swapping was the true method used for Stop-N-Swop. According to the patent Dk64 would set a "flag" in RDRAM that Banjo-Kazooie would have read on boot-up. Yet, Banjo-Kazooie doesn't read any flag data on boot-up so it would be impossible for any data input in RAM by Dk64 to affect Banjo-Kazooie. TBH I don't think that any of the (swap)code remains in DK64, and was probably implemented very early in Donkey Kong 64's development(of course it had to be when Banjo-Kazooie was still in development as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFR
Unless the Nintendo Power SNS article was released between these two dates i don't see why rare would've removed it from DK64
Right, I have been trying ridiculously hard to hack out what I believe would be a 2d-image of the Ice-key that would appear in DK64's menu after collecting the Ice-key in BK and cold-swapping to DK64.

Yet, I've searched through most of the 2d images in the game, and haven't found anything Ice-Keyish. There is still one more place to check, and that's if I can get a working 2d-image mod for that little rotating camera that pops up at certain moments in the game(since it wasn't in my 2d image mod I must be missing images).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ
Donkey kong 64 is a very hard game to hack, but most of the stuff to find has been found, including both the kiosk and normal versions. We havnt missed anything. There are to many hackers to miss something.
Well, we still got a bit more to go through in the Kiosk(Finish active object/event loader) and Banjo Tooie(CBM has found object data in Warp "freeze" digits).

Old 19th May 2008, 08:07 PM
Jinjo

I guess there is hope after all that we could find something tangible that can deal with SNS. If Runehero's theories are correct, and he finds something in the kiosk, we could probably get at least a glimpse of that key...

...and if we find the key, who knows what else could be in there? ( *wink* EGGS *wink* )