Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop

Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop SNS? Bottle's Revenge? Share your thoughts on the mysteries of the Banjo series and discuss the new Stop 'n' Swop features in Nuts and Bolts and the XBLA games

Old 13th May 2009, 05:48 PM
Glowbo

Something I do not get about stop n' swop

~This is NOT a theory of any sort I'm just curious and want to know what you think~

Okay, so Stop n' Swop was supposed to be in Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie on the N64, but what i do not get about it is: How would it all trigger off? what i mean is, would the N64 know i had Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie? or would i have to do one of the sandcastle codes? would i have to load up Banjo-Tooie then some how make it know i have Banjo-Kazooie and it would say something like "you have Banjo-Kazooie now you can do Stop n' Swop"

Share your idea or opinion about how you think Stop n' Swop would have been started or how it could have been triggered by the N64?

Old 13th May 2009, 05:58 PM
Grunty's Reject

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
If it was going to be able to work, it would be in it. *facepalm*

The technical details are, Nintendo changed some memory details and so the N64 could no longer swap data as it was supposed to.

Old 13th May 2009, 08:36 PM
Brash Breegull

INFECTED - B1K1 
We may NEVER know how it was originally supposed to work. I for one have given up on speculating anymore. What was supposed to be cool and innovative just snowballed into one big headache.

Old 13th May 2009, 08:57 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Laurence View Post

The technical details are, Nintendo changed some memory details and so the N64 could no longer swap data as it was supposed to.
Yes I know if it was going to be in the game it would work so no need for that "*facepalm*" that's just u being ignorant! I did not once in my post say it wouldn't have worked. I was just asking what people thought. You know an OPINION you're the one always sayin it was your opinion so now was your time to tell us! Then as usual u be a jerk! And yes I don't need technical facts that I already know that is not relevant to what I was asking! Sorry if I sounded harsh but you honestly need to stop being a jerk.

On topic: I personally think when u go to heggy there is an option to 'stop n swop" and u put the banjo-kazooie cart in and find the eggs, the you stop n swop them back.

Old 13th May 2009, 09:54 PM
Brash Breegull

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oMETCALFEo View Post
Yes I know if it was going to be in the game it would work so no need for that "*facepalm*" that's just u being ignorant! I did not once in my post say it wouldn't have worked. I was just asking what people thought. You know an OPINION you're the one always sayin it was your opinion so now was your time to tell us! Then as usual u be a jerk! And yes I don't need technical facts that I already know that is not relevant to what I was asking! Sorry if I sounded harsh but you honestly need to stop being a jerk.

On topic: I personally think when u go to heggy there is an option to 'stop n swop" and u put the banjo-kazooie cart in and find the eggs, the you stop n swop them back.
I had always thought maybe the ice key opens up an area (like the safe in hailfire peaks) that leads to some sort of new area that gives you the option to swap out the cartridge......And yeah, your response to LL was a bit of an over-reaction.....But I see your point

Old 13th May 2009, 10:28 PM
Grunty's Reject

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Laurence View Post

Actually, considering RARE left Stop 'N' Swop in the finalized version of Banjo-Kazooie, it probably WAS suppose to work.

My best guess would be that RARE was going to make a somehow compatible device that would extract the SnS codes from Banjo-Kazooie and use them to activate the SnS rewards in Tooie, most likely very far into Banjo-Kazooie's development after the N64's extra memory got canned.

If that's not it, then I don't know why RARE would keep Banjo-Kazooie's part in SnS in the finalized version of the first game.

Last edited by Banjo-Korezooie; 13th May 2009 at 10:30 PM.

Old 14th May 2009, 07:11 AM
Dingpot

INFECTED - B1K1 
Well, according to Runehero's threads...

Banjo-Tooie supplied the codes in some form, which you would then input in the sandcastle in Kazooie.

You'd collect the items, then turn off the game, and swap it with Tooie within 10 seconds. The RAM memory would be retained, and the items would appear in Tooie...

I am the Cl :eek: nemaster!!!!

Old 14th May 2009, 06:17 PM
Glowbo

I always just assumed that it would have been a two way swap:

1) Get to whatever point in Tooie that unlocks SNS.

2) Tooie sets the addresses in memory that BK uses to activate the SNS areas to 'on'.

3) Swap to Kazooie, collect items.

4) Swap Tooie back in, collect rewards.
4b) Swap to DK64 which checks the memory addresses and also gives a reward? (literally any game that game out after BK could have used SNS for rewards by checking the RAM)

I think the Sandcastle codes were backup just in case Tooie couldn't open the areas.

Alternate history:

If Rare knew that the N64 RAM was going to get fixed before they finished BK, I imagine the swap method would have entirely used passwords.

1) Kazooie teases items.
2) Tooie comes out and gives a password to unlock the areas.
3) Collect items in BK, Bottles comes up and gives a password to unlock bonus in BT.

Downside being that as soon as someone posts the unlock password for BT, nobody else would have needed to swap afterwards.

Last edited by FyreWulff; 14th May 2009 at 06:24 PM.

Old 15th May 2009, 03:34 AM
Thread of the Year '10-'11

Total Awards: 22
You're Appreciated! Archery 2000 Trophy Puzzle Six Puzzle Five Mystery Four 
I never understood why bK couldnt just use memory cards for stop n swap, the n64 definitly had them, as I used them to save ghost data on Diddy kong racing (which i got BEFORE BK so memory cards were out...)

Old 15th May 2009, 06:20 AM
Grunty's Reject

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I never understood why bK couldnt just use memory cards for stop n swap, the n64 definitly had them, as I used them to save ghost data on Diddy kong racing (which i got BEFORE BK so memory cards were out...)
This makes sense..

Old 15th May 2009, 10:41 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I think the idea is that no peripherals would be needed. And I didn't really know many people with Memory Paks. Also, the developer had to program their own memory card manager inside of each game - the n64 was incapable of doing it by itself (no system menu) and Nintendo didn't provide a 'standard' memory card management software. That would have added more development time.

Plus I don't think memory paks ever really had good sales numbers. Most of the best games for N64 had cart saving, so there really wasn't much of a market for them.

Old 16th May 2009, 06:34 AM
Dingpot

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreWulff View Post
I always just assumed that it would have been a two way swap:

1) Get to whatever point in Tooie that unlocks SNS.

2) Tooie sets the addresses in memory that BK uses to activate the SNS areas to 'on'.

I think the Sandcastle codes were backup just in case Tooie couldn't open the areas.
Runehero said that there was nothing in Kazooie that would allow it to read data from Tooie. Therefore, the codes would have been needed...

Quote:
If Rare knew that the N64 RAM was going to get fixed before they finished BK, I imagine the swap method would have entirely used passwords.

1) Kazooie teases items.
2) Tooie comes out and gives a password to unlock the areas.
3) Collect items in BK, Bottles comes up and gives a password to unlock bonus in BT.

Downside being that as soon as someone posts the unlock password for BT, nobody else would have needed to swap afterwards.
But that would mean there'd be data for Bottles to give you codes in BK, which there definitely isn't...

I am the Cl :eek: nemaster!!!!

Old 22nd May 2009, 01:12 AM
Grunty's Reject

RWP Podcast 
I think the "swop" was a great idea.